Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 problem

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I bought a 2i2, but when i am producing in FL 10.0.9 it has serious cpu problems, with crackling which I can't find out how to solve it in the audio settings, do you have any idea?

Are you using the correct asio driver? Have you tried increasing the audio buffer in the interface?

first thank you for the replay. i use isio4all v2 and i select from the asio panel Scarlett 2i2 usb with 1024 samples. i dont know but i have serious cpu problems. what do you suggest i do?

Don't know your setup, but I have a 2i2 and don't use asio4all. I don't know how it'd work together with the focusrite driver, but I do know you don't need it. If you don't need it for something else, uninstall it, and go with the latest focusrite driver. Simple and clean, should work well. Great little interface.

Yes, the native Focusrite driver offers far better ASIO support than ASIO4ALL does, remove the A4A if it's not otherwise in use. Also, make sure your on the latest Scarlett driver off the Focusrite website.

thanks again for the replay, i appreciate it. i have remove asio4all as you said and run this with latest scarlett driver but the sound is bad again. i have record the screen with the sound to understand ( https://vid.me/qSwB ). also i run this with fl studio 10.0.9 32bit, windows 7 64bit if this is a problemdo i have to get a latest fl version..dont know what i have to do.

this reminds me of problems I used to have with my m-audio Delta-44 (memba those?? :) ). anyway, there were pops and crackling that would happen because the card needed to be on its own irq. Check to make sure that you are not sharing an irq with something else on the machine. Also, make sure that the usb cable is connected directly to the computer, not through a hub. Other than that, maybe you just have a defective unit.

thecontrolcentre wrote:Have you tried increasing the audio buffer size?
Did you try it?

It could be that you're just trying to run too many plugins at once and running out of CPU. It's hard to tell from the video.

Shot you a reply to your PM with what to look at, It does sound like something is overloading the CPU however.

Thanks again for the advice. Yes the usb cable is connected directrly to the computer. How i increase the audio buffer? http://postimg.org/image/uxurbs1vz/ ..also i upload new video from the isue i have please let me know what do you think https://vid.me/6xby and https://vid.me/8Ge5

I don't know FL, buffer size should be an FL setting. Beyond that you're just going to have to research solutions for this sort of problem. Very much seems like either an audio setting issue, or an underpowered computer for what you're trying to do.

Ahhh, right, I also don't know my way around FL but I can give you a couple of pointers here to work from, maybe someone else can step in and flesh this out, if they know the sequencer better than myself.

CPU 1 video opens with you selecting the ASIO driver. Under that drop down is a button that says "Show ASIO Panel" If you click that it'll bring up another pannel that will allow you to adjust the buffer setting. The higher the setting the more latency between keyboard and PC, but also the less the CPU load is.

Most interfaces advertise 32/48 buffer settings, but a lot of the lower end ones simply can't hit it cleanly or without breaking up earlier on than they should. So, if your currently on one of those settings, try raising it up to around 64/128/256 and see if things become any more stable. Most people find working at up to 128 or even 256 more than fine anyhow as far as keyboard response goes.

Video 1 also shows ASIO maxing out, but only 1 CPU core being fully loaded up. I don't know if the are any FL internal settings to manage core handling, but that is clearly not working as intended.

Video 2 shows the same ASIO load but this time all the cores are being used correctly.

That difference could imply that one of your plug in's is the root cause and is overloading 1 of the cores, because it can not multi-thread properly.

The ASIO meter isn't a CPU meter. Rather it is a meter of avilable overhead and a combination of CPU, Memory and a few other bits and pieces. If one of those has a bottle neck the ASIO meter will go red, so it's possible the single spiking core in the first one is making it red line, althrough doesn't so much explain the second vid.

Might be worth having a read up on the FL support forums with that video and ask them whats going on with the load balancing, althrough I suspect it may be a third party app outside of their control.

Lastly you appear to be using a 32bit version of FL. Any reason for that? I fully expect the the CPU handling to be far better in the 64bit version if you have it. You have 8GB of memory it would allow the software to allocate more memory and to be honest, going 64bit might just solve this issue for you as it's possible that FL itself is having problems managing memory properly once you pass a certain point and might be why the overall ASIO score is skewed.

If you do that, make sure you download as many 64 bit versions of your plugs as you can to save overhead. FL 64 does appear to be able to bit-bridge ( http://support.image-line.com/knowledge ... hp?ans=415 ) but your milage may vary.

In addition to the advice Kaine and others have given you, here's a couple of other tips that may help:

1.) Make sure your soundcard and your DAW have the exact same buffer settings. If the 2i2 has a buffer setting of 256, insure FLS also has this setting selected. A normal setting that will be most trouble free for you is around 256. Get the buffer as low as you can without having problems but I wouldn't be paranoid about it. Read your 2i2 manual to learn how to set the buffer first and then set your DAW to the same setting. You may have to play around with the sound module to find that sweet spot.

2.) Disable "Use multi-core CPU" in the vst when possible and allow the DAW to handle this (set the DAW to "Use multi-core CPU"). Kontakt is one of those that has this setting. Others you may have may or may not have the setting but the DAW should be the only one using this.

3.) Go 64 bit, as Kaine suggests, with everything. Do not rely on bit-bridging as it adds another element that can go wrong. The reason to go 64 bit is to gain the RAM. 32 bit will not access that 8Gb of memory - you have it so may as well use it.

This means you will likely lose the use of some of your plugs. It is worth it, believe me.

4.) Make sure to set that USB port to never allow Windows to turn it off to save energy, in your Device Manager. To know how to do this follow the instructions at this site:
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/14 ... n-off.html

You may want to bookmark that site.

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

THANK YOU for your advice Kaine & dsan. The issue was iZotope Ozone 5. I use different preset and the sound is much better now. Furthermore thank you for the tips. Awesome!! :)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”