i7-4790K strong enough fro DIVA, TubeSaturator etc.?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i got a 3 year old i5 2320 and when i start some projects with a few instances only with diva at great quality my fl studio 11 stutters like maniac + when i add 1 instance from tubesaturator it's overkill ;D.

would a i7-4790K make things fluid? or does every current cpu gets at its limit?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

I hope so, I just bought one, arrives on Monday.

dw

I have an i5-4670K and for certain Diva patches, when on great quality, pull around 40-50% cpu with 3-4 notes sustained; but only certain ones
Last edited by synzh on Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

I have a brand new 4790k so I just loaded up the latest DIVA build in Studio One 2.6.5.

With "Great" quality and multicore enabled, a patch like MM Dramatic Strings (in the DREAM SYNTH folder) would go up as high as 20% playing 5 note chords. While a patch like MK Planet Mars would use about 12-13% playing those same chords.

ooohhh , I can't wait to try this out.

btw, funkybot, I went pretty close to your build.

dw

FYI in case anybody interested, with my i5-4670 quad core (FL Studio 11 64-bit) with 8Gb RAM, the MM Dramatic Strings preset would sustain at around 48-49% CPU while playing 5 note chords

[edit] had the Diva multicore setting off for the above; with multicore switch on, same patch with 5 note chords maxes about 30% CPU (baseline 3% CPU during idle with Diva loaded)
Last edited by synzh on Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

so a new cpu wont still be able to run Diva alone? :(
wow.... i will re-think if i get a new cpu :(
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote:so a new cpu wont still be able to run Diva alone? :(
wow.... i will re-think if i get a new cpu :(

Not sure which DAW you're using but on 2.6 quad core i7 running logic 9 I can get at least about 8 divas playing 4 notes on great quality before it starts to suffer. When on divine I can only get about 2-3 before it gets served.

CPU alone is not enough. What about all the other important components like RAM etc.?
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

murnau wrote:CPU alone is not enough. What about all the other important components like RAM etc.?
i currently have 8gb. i think it is even for the next gen enough. RAM was already years ago cheap. or am i mistaken?

Caine123 wrote:
murnau wrote:CPU alone is not enough. What about all the other important components like RAM etc.?
i currently have 8gb. i think it is even for the next gen enough. RAM was already years ago cheap. or am i mistaken?
Not really. If your running RAM intensive VST's 8Gb goes no where. If you're running 32 bit software then yeah, 8Gb is 2 times more than you can use. You may as well throw the other 4 GB away.

If you follow u-He's minimum RAM requirements (1GB) then that means 8 instances of Diva max.

Murnau makes a good point if you are wanting a CPU that will do more than 8 instances.

JMHO though.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

u-he recommendation of 1GB is because your OS, Drivers and DAW use up RAM too.

I manage with a first gen i7 you just have to set a larger buffer for your audio. A larger buffer gives the CPU cores more time to do their work before the sound comes out.

RAM is not a CPU booster like most think. DIVA wont take up anywhere near 1GB of RAM.

An Ableton Live 9 mix with just six DIVAs nothing else, uses 1GB of RAM. You will need more RAM than 1GB as your OS + drivers use 1GB - 2GB.

Just one sampled instrument can take up near 2GB. If you have enough RAM for your mix to load into, adding more RAM wont change a thing but if you don't have enough RAM for the Mix the whole thing will slow down.

So if you're not using any sampled instruments 4GB RAM is easy enough. Adding more wont improve anything.
If you use sampled Instruments and running a 64bit DAW I would have at least 8GB RAM.

I still use mostly 32bit plugins and host but i think i have to start my projects and plugins in 64bit. But how is the conpatibility when i ise a few 32 bit vsts in a 64bit project? The other way around was very unstable And i had not much profit when using only synth vsts so far from 64bit

Jax Pok wrote:u-he recommendation of 1GB is because your OS, Drivers and DAW use up RAM too.

I manage with a first gen i7 you just have to set a larger buffer for your audio. A larger buffer gives the CPU cores more time to do their work before the sound comes out.

RAM is not a CPU booster like most think. DIVA wont take up anywhere near 1GB of RAM.

An Ableton Live 9 mix with just six DIVAs nothing else, uses 1GB of RAM. You will need more RAM than 1GB as your OS + drivers use 1GB - 2GB.

Just one sampled instrument can take up near 2GB. If you have enough RAM for your mix to load into, adding more RAM wont change a thing but if you don't have enough RAM for the Mix the whole thing will slow down.

So if you're not using any sampled instruments 4GB RAM is easy enough. Adding more wont improve anything.
If you use sampled Instruments and running a 64bit DAW I would have at least 8GB RAM.
Makes really no sense because of latency for recording and live playing. If you only mix and move midi with the mouse it's okay to set a large buffer. And of course an excellent RAM is a big support but 4GB is enough? Can you show your projects? Sorry but thats :lol: . Of course not every No-name-RAM and as said the other components like MoBO, HD (SSD) are important too. I often have over 8GB memory used with all FX and VST running Why i should stick on 4GB in 64?.
Last edited by murnau on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

@Murnau when did I say in my other post this was about your projects?

What I said is correct I've been building computers for 15 years if you don't agree you need to read more about how a computer works. Higher buffer works I use a keyboard I know you don't need your latency set up for 2ms all the time. 11ms is very playable and frees up CPU.

Open a project with only none sample plugins and press CTRL + ALT+ Enter you will see in the task manager how much of your RAM that DAW project is using. Many people don't use samples so more than 4Gb will be usless.

This topic is about DIVA which uses less than 500MB RAM. How a hard drive performs has nothing to do with u-he synths as they don't use samples.
Last edited by Jax Pok on Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:33 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”