Two os in one computer?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I produce and perfom music and my laptop is my only tool for it, which I use for my living also. Since I use a lot of plugins, samples and everyday applications, my computer generally slows down after some months of usage, that makes it risky to perform. So I have an idea in my mind about it;

My laptop is a late 2011 macbook pro. I'm planning to partition my hard drive and install two clean Yosemite and keep one of them clean to perform and fill the other with garbage to live... Does this sound logical? Would the data of two partition slow each other down? And how many gigabytes should I leave for the performance partition?

Thanks in advance!

Ustun wrote:Would the data of two partition slow each other down? And how many gigabytes should I leave for the performance partition?
Data doesn't slow anything down, data is just that, data.
There should be however, enough free space for your OS to operate correctly.

Just check that licensing allows you to install two copies (might make a difference that it's on the same machine)
Sweet child in time...

What does slow you down, relating to data, is the more you have on your OS drive the longer it's going to take your OS to wade through finding what it and you need to operate.

Instead of 2 OS's I would consider an external drive and throw the data on it. Samples, sound files, picture files, etc., are data. Do not store this stuff on the same drive as your OS.

Keep your OS drive as clean as possible. It should really only contain the OS necessities and the programs you run.

Get rid of unused programs and the small tidbits they leave behind (empty folders, text files, etc.). Keep your OS drive as clean as possible. If you are not using something, ditch it. Get into this habit and you will be able to operate quicker and smoother.

I'll say it again, keep your OS drive as clean as possible.

If you insist on 2 OS's then instead of a partition use a separate drive. In my mind you are not gaining anything from what you are considering.

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Oh, another thought - a drive that needs a defrag will slow things down a lot.

While Macs generally optimize the HDD fairly well, at least they were as I recall, there may be reason for a defrag. This is common on Windows machines and should be performed regularly. Not so much on Macs but still it could be a reason for the slow downs you experience.

Here's a Google search for how it's down. You should read through some of these for your own sake:
https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ ... 8&oe=utf-8

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

If 2 drives you might consider swamping the optical for the 2nd drive and use external optical if possible with your set up and suits your needs.

Oh here check this place out if your interested, I yahooed it.
A minor scale is a major scale starting 3 half steps down from the major and visa versa. Any Chord has as many versions as it has notes.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”