Planning to buy this computer configuration . Is this an overkill ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Keith99 wrote:Sound on Sound this month do a comparison between the top processors for DAW usage - worth a look. You may want to wait a month or two as the next generation of Intel chips, the Skylake ones are out in August although initially just 4 core versions - but it si a new architecture, new slot etc.
Can you please share the link of the sound on sound article ?

Do you mean the skylake ones are gonna be better than Haswell-E processors ?

vignesh.vijay wrote:
Keith99 wrote:Sound on Sound this month do a comparison between the top processors for DAW usage - worth a look. You may want to wait a month or two as the next generation of Intel chips, the Skylake ones are out in August although initially just 4 core versions - but it si a new architecture, new slot etc.

The full article is currently only available to their web subscribers.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul15/a ... e-0715.htm
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote:
vignesh.vijay wrote:

Thanks a lot . I don't have web subscription . If you can ,Can you send the full article to my email id : vignesh.vijay@gmail.com

It would be of great help !!

I only have a print subscription.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Is there any AMD processors that can be compared to Intel Core i7-5960X ?

Guess AMD's have low prices ..
I saw one here .. 8 cores but price is way low .. :O ..
http://www.amazon.com/AMD-FD8350FRHKBOX ... md+fx+8350

Stay away from Gigabyte, they have some quality control issues. And don't listen to people telling you to wait, there is always something new on the way....
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

shroom81 wrote:Stay away from Gigabyte, they have some quality control issues. And don't listen to people telling you to wait, there is always something new on the way....
what other motherboard would you suggest ?

The 2011 v3 platform is just fine,it's the Workstation range.

I'm using a 3930k and this processor is still rocking.

I suggest you choose the 5930k and a higher range Asus board for about 300 $ this way you can be sure the Bios is more solid than on a lower price range board.
I guess a bit more expensive Gigabyte board is playing nice as well.
On a better board you can set the automatic overclock directly in the Bios (which is better) without glitch and stutter.
I would recommend a mid range Nvidia graphics card as well.
Some modern plugins are Graphics demanding.

As a whole you can think that each computer component is playing together with another.

Kingston RAM is fine too.

Last but not least try to google for problems for your configuration this way you can see possible quirks (for new available parts for example),mostly they will be ironed out over time,though.
Try to cool all components sufficient (using a fan controller for example),heat is the biggest electronic killer.

Use a good driver for you sound card.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

vignesh.vijay wrote:
shroom81 wrote:Stay away from Gigabyte, they have some quality control issues. And don't listen to people telling you to wait, there is always something new on the way....
what other motherboard would you suggest ?
I always buy Asus, rock solid stuff. People say good things about AsRock too but I have not tried them out myself.

t3toooo's advice is spot on with the graphic card, take's the load of the cpu for crunching more audio related tasks. Just make sure to disable the audio on the videocard.
Last edited by shroom81 on Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

t3toooo wrote: ... and a higher range Asus board for about 300 $
Just to add.
I didn't mean the manufacturer recommendations,so lets say a recommended price for around 350-400 you surely will it find for a lower price around 300 using google.
Prices are nuts and out of control.
|\/| _ o _ |\ |__ o
| |__> |(_ | \(_/_|

Not to confuse your issues more vignesh, but personally, I have had great results with the Gigabytes boards.

ASUS are known to be great as well. So are ASRock boards, Intel boards, MSI boards, etc., etc. Depending on who you talk to "this is one is better than that one." :hihi:

My point is, you can get a bad one or you can get a good one. This is par for the course with electronics. Which ever you choose, if you get a bad one, send it back.

I like Gigabyte boards because they use the TI chipset. Essential for an audio computer, IMHO. (Because I use a firewire sound interface. May not be relevant if you don't.)

I like the features ASUS offers but they don't use TI chipsets. Too many horror stories about those boards with other than TI on them. (Again, for firewire.)

I could be wrong but I think Scan.UK (Kaine - above) builds with Gigabyte boards. I trust his expertise and suggestions to the max. Super guy :tu:

Cheers!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Ive had more problems with Asus boards than Gigabyte, but its all a crapshoot really...
Just make sure to get insurance on the board whatever you get. Its cheap and they will
replace it regardless of the issue, say if you spill beer on it or something. The manufacturer
will not replace a board that got damaged accidentally.

Gigabyte is almost mandatory if you happen to want to build a Hackintosh for instance.

-Cheers

vignesh.vijay wrote:Is there any AMD processors that can be compared to Intel Core i7-5960X ?

Guess AMD's have low prices ..
I saw one here .. 8 cores but price is way low .. :O ..
http://www.amazon.com/AMD-FD8350FRHKBOX ... md+fx+8350
No.

You cannot directly compare AMD's multi-core processors with Intel's. The architecture is different, and they run at slower speeds (usually). Their prices are more attractive, but in general, the AMDs don't perform as well. They're still good processors, but for high-end DAW use, the general consensus is that Intel offers the better processors.

Don't get caught up in waiting for what's "next" or worrying about a slight performance boost in one processor over the other. When the new Intel processors come out, you probably won't be able to afford them anyway, just like the rest of us mortals! All you can hope is that they'll push down the price on the processors you're looking at now.

And the difference in performance between a processor running at 3.8 GHz and 4.0 GHz is negligible in your DAW. You really will only frustrate yourself if you worry too much about the specs.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

vignesh.vijay wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
vignesh.vijay wrote:

Thanks a lot . I don't have web subscription . If you can ,Can you send the full article to my email id : vignesh.vijay@gmail.com

It would be of great help !!

Go back to my last post on pg.1 of this thread and read the link if you haven't already. I wrote the SOS article as an far more in depth explanation to the information I posted in that link, but it should at least give you the gist and allow you to see the chart data.
dsan@mail.com wrote: I like Gigabyte boards because they use the TI chipset. Essential for an audio computer, IMHO. (Because I use a firewire sound interface. May not be relevant if you don't.)

I like the features ASUS offers but they don't use TI chipsets. Too many horror stories about those boards with other than TI on them. (Again, for firewire.)
Both are tier one manufacturers and certainly both have great boards to consider. FW support onboard I'm afraid to say is extremely rare these days, but both of those firms have upgrade options that allow Thunderbolt add in cards to be used, which offer superb compability with older FW devices, so all is not lost!
(and you can always fall back on a add in fw card still)

Currently I'm prefering Asus for overclocking, but I still go Gigabyte on a lot of stock clocked systems. That's simply down to prefering how the Asus bios is laid out through, and my way of working.
dsan@mail.com wrote: I could be wrong but I think Scan.UK (Kaine - above) builds with Gigabyte boards. I trust his expertise and suggestions to the max. Super guy :tu:
:oops:

As another point try to get a motherboard supporting M.2, this provides very high speed connection for SSD drives via the PCIe ports rather than the SATA ones. It should run incredibly fast - perfect for a drive full of samples

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”