Window 10 Clean Install or Not?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I updated my music computer from Windows 7 64 bit to Windows 10. I use the Media Creation Tool http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software ... /windows10. All went fairly smooth. I have many DAWs’and VST’s. Surprisingly most everything seems to work.

I had planned to do a W10 clean install but now I am giving it a second thought. Should I adopt the “if it ain’t broke don’t’ fix it” and go on and work with the W10 upgrade? What do I really gain by doing the clean install?

What will I gain by doing a so called “clean install”. There are two methods as far as I know to do a free W10 clean install.

1. Once W10 is installed use the reset button. And then select the delete data and programs rather than the other option as if you are selling the computer.

2. The other so called “clean install” uses the upgrade tool but select to delete all files and programs.

Two more questions:
a. Are the drivers also deleted in a clean install?
b. If I delete data and programs is it the same as if W10 does it? Both options seem to use the same wording if I recall correctly so do they both do the same thing?

I need some help here. Your experiences regrading this matter will be appreciated.

I am picking up some vibes telling me to do a fresh install.
The vibes are not very clear. If you are the person sending
the vibes please chime in and clarify your position.

Sorry for the vibes, im going to start using heavy duty tin foil for my hats.

History tells me Windows tended to give less problems from a clean start without adding updates after. Slipstreamed SP's tended to work better than installing the first build followed by sp#

1-2 / 3: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10 'If you need to install or reinstall Windows 10, you can use the tools on this page to create your own installation media using either a USB flash drive or a DVD.'

a.b.: I had asked if anyone tried to see if and how much excess is left, by comparing registry / file lists, no one seems to have tried that. History again tells me, that MS likes to leave things laying around when youre installing / uninstalling an update or driver for example.

KVR Audio Forum Signature is currently unavailable for your web browser.

I did the upgrade from Windows 7 64bit and after that the system was running faster than with the previous Windows 7 installation (which was installed a while ago). Besides that also my programs were still running, serials seemed to be working and also my favorites for Chrome etc. were stlll there and same for some other settings (e.g. WLAN security key). The activations for e.g. Live 9, NI plugins and some others were still working too. While eLicenser worked too for iLok i had to manually start the process as the automatic start seemed to fail.

One program i had to delete before the update (or ithe update could fail and automatically go back to Win 7) was Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 but i installed it again after the update and it works nicely again.

After the update you also have the option to go back to Win 7 if necessary except if you delete the automatic backup files of the old Win 7.

Anyway i used a tool to get the product key of my Windows 10 update (which i did not receive by e-mail) and also got a DVD which i creatd from an ISO file. This could be helpful for a clean installation in the future if necessary.
Ingo Weidner
Win 10 Home 64-bit / mobile i7-7700HQ 2.8 GHz / 16GB RAM //
Live 10 Suite / Cubase Pro 9.5 / Pro Tools Ultimate 2021 // NI Komplete Kontrol S61 Mk1

xNiMiNx wrote:Sorry for the vibes, im going to start using heavy duty tin foil for my hats.

History tells me Windows tended to give less problems from a clean start without adding updates after. Slipstreamed SP's tended to work better than installing the first build followed by sp#

1-2 / 3: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10 'If you need to install or reinstall Windows 10, you can use the tools on this page to create your own installation media using either a USB flash drive or a DVD.'

a.b.: I had asked if anyone tried to see if and how much excess is left, by comparing registry / file lists, no one seems to have tried that. History again tells me, that MS likes to leave things laying around when youre installing / uninstalling an update or driver for example.
Thanks for the info.

I know that you are right that a clean install is the correct way. But the time I will save, NOW. But may have to spend the time LATER fixing the issues.

I am currently doing a clean install on C but have D that has W7 which will still upgrade to W10.

Ingonator wrote:I did the upgrade from Windows 7 64bit and after that the system was running faster than with the previous Windows 7 installation (which was installed a while ago). Besides that also my programs were still running, serials seemed to be working and also my favorites for Chrome etc. were stlll there and same for some other settings (e.g. WLAN security key). The activations for e.g. Live 9, NI plugins and some others were still working too. While eLicenser worked too for iLok i had to manually start the process as the automatic start seemed to fail.

One program i had to delete before the update (or ithe update could fail and automatically go back to Win 7) was Kaspersky Internet Security 2015 but i installed it again after the update and it works nicely again.

After the update you also have the option to go back to Win 7 if necessary except if you delete the automatic backup files of the old Win 7.

Anyway i used a tool to get the product key of my Windows 10 update (which i did not receive by e-mail) and also got a DVD which i creatd from an ISO file. This could be helpful for a clean installation in the future if necessary.
On one of my (non-music) laptops with a slow W7 I upgraded to W10 and it runs much faster. Apparently it fixed an issue I had in W7. This laptop has few applications so if later I need to do a clean install I will not hesitate.

It is my music W7 machine I hesitated to go to W10 because it will involve many hours of installations and setting up and trouble shooting, finding serial numbers etc. Looks like I will do all that but not looking forward to a clean W10 install. I am a destination guy and a journey guy.

Kalamata Kid wrote:But the time I will save, NOW.
I feel you. I wish software was all portable, or at the least portable with some *.reg. This way upgrading / moving would be simple copy / paste of 1-100000 programs, but, we need complicated copy protections to protect us.
Kalamata Kid wrote:But may have to spend the time LATER fixing the issues.
If stuff is working, the only issues would be when the os starts to get sluggish and you know its time for a fresh install, maybe even by then MS will have some new 'features', and then youll be able to install that slipstreamed fresh.

If everythings working, save yourself the time now, and do a fresh install when you need to.

xNiMiNx wrote:
Kalamata Kid wrote:But the time I will save, NOW.
I feel you. I wish software was all portable, or at the least portable with some *.reg. This way upgrading / moving would be simple copy / paste of 1-100000 programs, but, we need complicated copy protections to protect us.
Kalamata Kid wrote:But may have to spend the time LATER fixing the issues.
If stuff is working, the only issues would be when the os starts to get sluggish and you know its time for a fresh install, maybe even by then MS will have some new 'features', and then youll be able to install that slipstreamed fresh.

If everythings working, save yourself the time now, and do a fresh install when you need to.
I just did the fresh install on C and am staring at the screen thinking all the non-productive work ahead of me. I have the D drive with a W7 which I can upgrade to W10 as I was before with C.

What's a guy to do? As stated earlier the W10 upgrade seemed to work well. I did not test everything. It will not cost anything to upgrade W7 to W10 on the D drive and then make the final decision.

In the upgrade scenario is it best to Boot to W7 and uninstall the in my case the Viper virus protection program first? How important is this? If I recall Viper work ok but Comodo for firewall was either deleted or just not functional.

I dont have first hand experience with Viper.

That said, yes, i would 9 out of 10 times recommend disabling any software that might be 'protecting / locking' files before performing an (OS especially) upgrade. Note i said disable, and not uninstall. If you cant disable protection (then reboot), then i would move to uninstalling.

xNiMiNx wrote:I dont have first hand experience with Viper.

That said, yes, i would 9 out of 10 times recommend disabling any software that might be 'protecting / locking' files before performing an (OS especially) upgrade. Note i said disable, and not uninstall. If you cant disable protection (then reboot), then i would move to uninstalling.
Thanks for the Clarification.
I can turn off Viper.

BTW I am getting ready to do a W10 upgrade on my D drive so Sunday
I will make up my mind which way to proceed. I will have both ways
available to my disposal. The W10 upgrade path will save me hours
and days of work.

I am tending towards using my W10 upgrade rather than the clean W10
as even though I had my music computer for 5 year its amazing how little
time I put into it. I was very careful with installing programs. The time I
spent on the internet was mostly for downloads and product registration.

Besides the Viper anti-virus program I also had Comodo as a firewall.
If things look bad I still can do a clean install anytime as needed.
I guess I am trying to talk myself into believing the the upgrade way
is the way to go.

It is. Make some music.

A clean install after some years makes sense because there are a lot not complete removed files from older installations which can free sometimes some GB. Such a clean system will run better. But this will change very quickly if all the other needed stuff is installed again ;)
So I would only make a clean install in combination with a new HD/SSD or if there are issues in the past with malware/virus etc.

Because this upgrade is working for most users without problems and the system is running the same as before, I would recommend not to use a clean install.

4damind wrote:A clean install after some years makes sense because there are a lot not complete removed files from older installations which can free sometimes some GB. Such a clean system will run better. But this will change very quickly if all the other needed stuff is installed again ;)
So I would only make a clean install in combination with a new HD/SSD or if there are issues in the past with malware/virus etc.

Because this upgrade is working for most users without problems and the system is running the same as before, I would recommend not to use a clean install.
I agree. Although a clean install is always a nice feeling as long as you've backed up all your software and daw configurations, presets, etc. Personally it takes me about 3-4 days on off with installing software, applying updates, ensuring all software knows where what is along with rescanning libraries and so forth.

If you do have upgrade, I haven't hit any issues at this time.

Do have a read of the following post as may help some people.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 0#p6207790

Alchemy had to be resintalled as well as synthmaster as both crashing Cubase, post upgrade but this is not catergoric and maybe something specific to my build.

And this if you are going to try the blocking of windows data privacy concerns.
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 1#p6210181

The way i gathered it, at least for Windows 10, the upgrade is almost like a clean install. There won't be data trash, there won't be left overs of any kind. Hence your OS won't be suffering from degraded speed, or other upgrade related stuff. Take all that with a pinch of salt, as that's only something i read from other people in forums. Maybe there's more real info on the net.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”