Inbuilt laptop SPDIF & external sound card simultaneously?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've just noticed I can get a docking station for my laptop that includes a SPDIF port.

I do obviously have an external soundcard already attached, and as we all know we can't use two soundcards at once on XP.

Do you guys have any idea if I'll be able to use the SPDIF for MIDI clock in addition to my current card?

(ie, SPDIF just to clock and the existing audio card to maintain audio duties).

TIA
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote:I've just noticed I can get a docking station for my laptop that includes a SPDIF port.

I do obviously have an external soundcard already attached, and as we all know we can't use two soundcards at once on XP.

Do you guys have any idea if I'll be able to use the SPDIF for MIDI clock in addition to my current card?

(ie, SPDIF just to clock and the existing audio card to maintain audio duties).

TIA
Midi clock uses a midi connection (via USB or DIN, or even wireless), not SPDIF.
Which external synth or sequencer do you have that has an SPDIF input?

And yes you can use two soundcards at once, using ASIO4ALL, though this is not ideal - avoid it if you can.

Hmmmm, are you sure on the SPDIF mate?

I have read numerous threads saying SPDIF carries clock and audio simultaneously. I only need the former though.

Essentially I'm trying to slave one laptop (Live) to another (Cubase) using the kit I already have. One possible option seemed to be SPDIF.

However, in doing so I do wish to keep my current soundcards, one of which only does audio (ie, no MIDI). The docking station however, provides SPDIF that I'm hoping to utilise.

Mushy Mushy wrote:Hmmmm, are you sure on the SPDIF mate?

I have read numerous threads saying SPDIF carries clock and audio simultaneously. I only need the former though.

Essentially I'm trying to slave one laptop (Live) to another (Cubase) using the kit I already have. One possible option seemed to be SPDIF.

However, in doing so I do wish to keep my current soundcards, one of which only does audio (ie, no MIDI). The docking station however, provides SPDIF that I'm hoping to utilise.
Ah I see, that's audio clock, not midi. :wink:
So you want one laptop to output audio via SPDIF output and the other to receive it via SPDIF input?
Then you'll still need to sync them via midi... (edit: I read your post again, you want one laptop to only record audio from the other? Why is that? It's a lot easier to record on the same laptop...)

Ah ok, getting there I think :D

I don't want any audio going from one PC to another. I just want to have both PCs in sync with each other. The audio from each will run into an external mixer.

The slave PC (Live) is loaded to the gills with samples and I'd rather not clog my DAW up with these. It also means I can fully utilise the processing power of each. Besides, it's a fun nerdy thing to set up ;)

I have tried using simply MIDI to run clock, but it was horrendously out of sync. I was led to believe SPDIF is quite a bit tighter.

Mushy Mushy wrote:I have tried using simply MIDI to run clock, but it was horrendously out of sync. I was led to believe SPDIF is quite a bit tighter.
Maybe what you read/heard was about something like http://www.innerclocksystems.com/ which converts audio impulses to midi clock...
Anyway, about the sync problems you had - maybe everything wasn't set up correctly?
What's needed:
- Both laptops need a midi interface.
- Connect the midi out of the master to the midi input of the slave.
- Set each DAW to master or slave.
- Send Midi clock on the correct midi port on the master.
- Only press play on the master, the slave will follow.

T-CM11 wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:I have tried using simply MIDI to run clock, but it was horrendously out of sync. I was led to believe SPDIF is quite a bit tighter.
Maybe what you read/heard was about something like http://www.innerclocksystems.com/ which converts audio impulses to midi clock...
Anyway, about the sync problems you had - maybe everything wasn't set up correctly?
What's needed:
- Both laptops need a midi interface.
- Connect the midi out of the master to the midi input of the slave.
- Set each DAW to master or slave.
- Send Midi clock on the correct midi port on the master.
- Only press play on the master, the slave will follow.
Excellent. Thanks for that.
Will give it a shot tomorrow 8)

Any luck? :wink:

T-CM11 wrote:Any luck? :wink:
Appreciate you checking :tu:

Not yet as I seem to have lost my M-Audio Uno MIDI cable. I will buy another one when I get a chance.

In summary then, will try again next weekend.

You may want to consider this MushyMushy. I think this wii do it for you.

Worth a try anyway:
http://jackaudio.org/

Cheers!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

dsan@mail.com wrote:You may want to consider this MushyMushy. I think this wii do it for you.

Worth a try anyway:

Cheers!
dsan
You may want to read every post in this topic. :wink:

dsan@mail.com wrote:You may want to consider this MushyMushy. I think this wii do it for you.

Worth a try anyway:

Cheers!
dsan
Thanks as always dsan.

I am only looking to transmit MIDI clock though, ie to keep two PC's in time.

T-CM11 wrote:

Worth a try anyway:

Cheers!
dsan
You may want to read every post in this topic. :wink:
And doing so would not give another the opportunity to criticize now would it? ;)

The fact is, if you look into Jack, it may very well accomplish the task since it does have MIDI abilities as well as audio.

If not then at least there was an attempt to assist which was appreciated by the OP.

You're quite welcome Mushy Mushy! :tu:

Cheers
dsan
My DAW System:

Ah didn't realise it did MIDI too.

I do admit to only giving it a cursory glance after seeing jack and audio.

That'll teach me :oops:

These may also be of use to you, though I'm not sure of your specs meeting requirements:

rtpMIDI:
http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html

and, TransMIDIfier:
http://www.bewaryprods.com/software/pro ... sMIDIfier/

Though, if you plan to use SPDIF, I'm not sure they do so. Both work well over LAN though.

As for Jack, I haven't personally used it so not completely sure of the full capabilities. Of those that do use it most are well satisfied with their results.

I mostly use rtpMIDI and VEP5. The latter though costs a lot of money and won't work now (I believe) on an XP system.

Cheers!
dsan

EDIT: BTW, any solution you use will introduce some latency. It may be so small though as not to create a problem for you, but my experience has been, over LAN, it is necessary to adjust a recording from one machine to another by milliseconds. Even though small, it does create timing issues that are unacceptable , for me, in the end. YMMV of course. :)
My DAW System:

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”