win7 updates ?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

is it just me...or is it impossible to get win7 updates in the last few weeks - I'm assuming thanks to their mega-aggressive pushing of win10 ?

I've started to use a public network every day, and I'm just looking for a bit of peace of mind that I'm completely up-to-date in terms of security. Microsoft Security Essentials is updating fine though.

I thought it was just me. I've been having the same trouble for the about the same amount of time as yourself.

I've tried a lot of things. Currently ... mr. fixit for windows update MicrosoftFixit.wu.MATSKB.Run The first time I ran it, it said, 'Online search for updates ran successfully. Restart Windows Update and 'Check for updates'. That was several hours ago. Not sure what it's doing exactly but it has managed to get some updates installed today which I assume is progress. :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:I thought it was just me. I've been having the same trouble for the about the same amount of time as yourself.

I've tried a lot of things. Currently ... mr. fixit for windows update MicrosoftFixit.wu.MATSKB.Run The first time I ran it, it said, 'Online search for updates ran successfully. Restart Windows Update and 'Check for updates'. That was several hours ago. Not sure what it's doing exactly but it has managed to get some updates installed today which I assume is progress. :)

hmm...haven't heard of that. I'll give it a go - thanks for the tip!

this is a double-whammy of doucheyness though. not only are they kicking me in the balls (and you too evidently), a paying customer(s), but they're doing it in part so they can dump something like 4gb of unsolicited data on all those hundreds of thousands of users, if not millions, who have switched on 'always update without my authorisation' or whatever it's called. pre-loading their machines with Win10 so that if they do decide to install it, it's already there.

surely they should prioritise paying customers who are consciously trying to update.

but whatchamagonnado.

just an FYI .... I assumed Sunday morning (USA time) would be a relatively quiter period for Microsoft's servers, and attempted again to update. It was slow, but it worked... got two machines updated. Well, one updated, and the other still in the process of installing (but the updates are downloaded - so that's the main thing)

good luck.

It's rather because they're busy, because they're about to release a big update for Windows 10 in october, or november. What exactly do you expect in Windows 7 updates anyway? If it's working fine, and there are no major security issues, you should be good to roll, right? They're very unlikely to abandon it, so it's probably just a period of less updates, than no updates at all. :) If then Win 10 users should be pissed off, because there are really quite a few niggles with it, which need patching.

I also had probs. Peaked CPU when manually searching for updates in win7.
Had to turn off auto-notification/do not dload or install. Turned off a few associated services with the process in order to stop the peaking CPU.
I did something to kill the win10 icon and delete the win10 data. That may have created this mess...don`t know for sure.

In any case, I turned off updates. When I DO want updates I found I could do this by turning on auto-update then after that session I see that it installs when signing off / when shutting down.
I also noticed that if I don`t turn updates off, it will install the same updates over and over.
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

"We are MicroSoft. We will add your personal computing device and local network to our own. Your computing habits will adapt to serving us. Updating Windows 7 is futile. You will be assimilated."
“I'd far rather be happy than right any day.” ~ Arthur Dent, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

I want to become a hip M$ basher too, is there a website or something on how to become one? Oh wait, the internet is full of it. BRB, studying. :hyper:

Not every comment regarding MicroSoft is "bashing" it. I guess you never poked fun at something just of the sake of poking ...
“I'd far rather be happy than right any day.” ~ Arthur Dent, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

I've not had any problems updating 7 on my 2 regular machines, no MS bashing from me :)
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Complaining about update issues is no bashing. Anything else apart from reporting the update issues has been however in this thread.

I've turned automatic updates off. Why would I want updates? Runs rock solid.

I got so tired of everytime trying to shut of the computer it was like, installing 3 updates.

...and have an important presentation in the morning, why would I want my laptop to be unusable for 10 minutes while Microsoft "improves my user experience" ? That for sure is gonna impress people at the meeting.

Complaining about update issues is no bashing. Anything else apart from reporting the update issues has been however in this thread.
lol. :roll:

chk071 wrote:It's rather because they're busy, because they're about to release a big update for Windows 10 in october, or november. What exactly do you expect in Windows 7 updates anyway? If it's working fine, and there are no major security issues, you should be good to roll, right? They're very unlikely to abandon it, so it's probably just a period of less updates, than no updates at all. :) If then Win 10 users should be pissed off, because there are really quite a few niggles with it, which need patching.
what exactly are you expecting from your contribution in this thread ? the purpose of the thread is very simple.. if others are having trouble or not. joining to say shit like 'why bother updating anyway, what do you expect' blah blah ... is useless noise at best, idle trolling at worst.

annode wrote:I also had probs. Peaked CPU when manually searching for updates in win7.
Had to turn off auto-notification/do not dload or install. Turned off a few associated services with the process in order to stop the peaking CPU.
I did something to kill the win10 icon and delete the win10 data. That may have created this mess...don`t know for sure.

In any case, I turned off updates. When I DO want updates I found I could do this by turning on auto-update then after that session I see that it installs when signing off / when shutting down.
I also noticed that if I don`t turn updates off, it will install the same updates over and over.
VariKusBrainZ wrote:I've not had any problems updating 7 on my 2 regular machines, no MS bashing from me :)

hmmm. interesting. duly noted. had some issues with one of the machines I was updating, long story short I need to install the updates again and I'm back to square one... 'checking for updates' progress bar looping for what seems like forever. I guess USA is awake and fervently downloading their Win10 install files... with or without their knowledge ;)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”