Windows Vista support ends April 11

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

camsr wrote:Try disabling thumbnail preview then, forgot how but it's possible.
I forgot how, but I've been there already, I have no thumbnail functionality. Might as well check how to turn it back on, as it didn't help. What's really irritating, is that you can't see folders, until everything loads, same pain in W10. Seriously, file explorer worked better in W3.1.

I started digging for a solution again and I found it. It is the stupid "optimize folder" feature after all, but the fast setting is not "general items" but "documents". Setting it globally requires registry edit, some guy made a useful batch script for it. Now I can browse large sample folders without switching to gangsta rap language mode. :party:

@Zombie Queen: Have you considered using an alternative file manager?
I used to use midnight commander alot, there are quite a few of them
actually.

Someone actually considers installing Vista.......must have been born yesterday.......Under a rock...........Secluded from civilisation
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Yes, but in the long run, it's just faster to use explorer, especially that it's integrated - consider opening files from withing programs. The "documents" hack, does it for me. Now, if I could figure out how to fix Photoshop CS2...

Well, I gave up my support for it over 6 years ago :hihi:

Numanoid wrote:
Zombie Queen wrote:What do you need support for?
This is like a notpad computer that I use for surfing, email and stuff.

When youtube stopped working, I got tired of WinXP :clown: I mean, for everyday use.

I still got WinXP on a couple of desktop computers.

But when surfing, checking email, internet banking, youtube, WinXP aint no good anymore.
Xubuntu

zxant wrote:
When Win7 dies it's Linux time ...
Nonsense. Lock your computer down with 7. I haven't upgraded anything on my music computer for about 2 years now, and I can do everything I need to. We're at an era where a properly built system will work for a nice long time. If something requires 10, I won't be buying it.

Linux will *never* have the number of choices for music software that Windows/Mac has.

(My office computer is using a 6+ year old Intel chip, runs 7 just fine. I replaced the motherboard and RAM a while back just because I could. The old board maxed out at 4GB of RAM, the replacement one has 8GB. :D )
Remember the iLokalypse Summer 2013

Samples and presets and free stuff!

54 days left

For what?

Windows Vista support? :P

What's that?

chk071 wrote:No, it's about the same in terms of performance. But you could update Win 7 to Win 10, and get a lot of lifecycle, plus a better performance than both. Probably also better suited for small display devices like the HP Mini. Check for hardware compatibility then though, but the updater icon should show you if there's problems anyway.
With SP2, Vista is generally faster than Win7 in my experience - once UAC and other annoyances are negated, and once you ignore shutdown and startup speed.
I read a benchmark report several years ago where they stripped Vista, Win7 and XP back to core components (via Vlite, Nlite) and Vista always came out on top.
Last edited by metamorphosis on Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

metamorphosis wrote:
chk071 wrote:No, it's about the same in terms of performance. But you could update Win 7 to Win 10, and get a lot of lifecycle, plus a better performance than both. Probably also better suited for small display devices like the HP Mini. Check for hardware compatibility then though, but the updater icon should show you if there's problems anyway.
With SP2, Vista is generally faster than Win7 in my experience. I remember reading a benchmark report where they stripped Vista, Win7 and XP back to core components (via Vlite, Nlite) and Vista always came out on top.
Yeah, doesn't surprise. I never understood why it got such a beating, in any regard.

chk071 wrote: Yeah, doesn't surprise. I never understood why it got such a beating, in any regard.
Largely because when it first came out, it really was crap, and there were lots of drive and non-driver bugs. Also it's UAC was super-annoying and pointless. By the time of SP2, and with UAC turned off, it got pretty reasonable.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”