How much CPU is enough?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The best you can afford, if you can build a dual Xeon workstation go for it.

Personally I like to get the best i7 I can.
dedication to flying

theEmbark wrote:100+ track composition (all loaded with VSTs)
Is that 100+ tracks of Diva playing 16 notes simultaneous per instance, with 8 insert fx per track?

I suggest you buy a botnet. :hihi:

T-CM11 wrote:
theEmbark wrote:100+ track composition (all loaded with VSTs)
Is that 100+ tracks of Diva playing 16 notes simultaneous per instance, with 8 insert fx per track?

I suggest you buy a botnet. :hihi:
Haha nah it's like 30 guitar tracks with different tones/mics etc. lots of duplicates that need to just get moved before the mix stage.

Then maybe 5 instances of ample sound with different strum patterns etc.

It just adds up usually final mixes I aim for under 50 tracks but while it's a work in progress things add up the way we tend to record.
Win 7 | Dual Xeon x5680 | 48 GB RAM | Saffire Pro 40 | Yamaha HS50 monitors |Cubase 8.5 Pro|
Kevin DiGennaro

The simple answer is: get as much CPU as you can afford. (except if you're buying a laptop, then there's other considerations too)
Mind that Xeon motherboards tend to be a lot more expensive. ;)

theEmbark wrote:So I am trying to wrap my head around how much CPU is enough for various audio projects.
10 cpu

Get the best you can afford. It's better to have too much headroom than not enough.

One thing to note though, the EW Symphonic Orchestra loads the samples into RAM and it is hungry. I'd say 16gb is the absolute minimum for that.

rod_zero wrote:The best you can afford, if you can build a dual Xeon workstation go for it.

Personally I like to get the best i7 I can.
+1

Why do we still need to use RAM these days, the processor should handle it all.

Numanoid wrote: Why do we still need to use RAM these days, the processor should handle it all.
Because hard drives can't supply data fast enough directly to the CPU and the processor can't store the data on the chip between processing cycles.

We might see this change in a few years, when X-Point gets scaled up fully.

I´m aware that topic is about building one DAW. Just thought I´d add that you could look at the price of running two systems connected via VSL or FX Teleport and see if that gives you significantly more bang for the buck.
Also, consider if there´s a demand for high quality plugins, since then a UAD card or three could offload some ressources.

Best Regards

Roman Empire

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”