Possible issues when installing Windows 10 anniversary update

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

bradr wrote:
AnalogGuy1 wrote:My story: after installing the Windows Anniversary update, my copy of Cantabile de-authorized (easy to fix),...
As Cantabile's developer, a quick comment... I'm treating it as a driver issue and hoping it will be resolved with an update....
I'm sure it's a driver issue, Brad; the sticky cursor problem affects Word, Outlook, Matlab, Photoshop, and Cantabile. You aren't the cause, just another casualty.

I haven't actually had any reports of cursor problems - just the display update issue where the screen doesn't get redrawn correctly (eg: half updated windows).

I do manual checks for updates only, I thought I had done it a couple of weeks ago.

But seems I must have missed this anniversary update, getting it now, it is humongus requiring 9GB+ of HDD space :scared:

Has Microsoft gone crazy :o

This anniversary update is more like Windows 11 than an update to Win 10

You just don't sneak that kind of update out without stating up front what users are in for.

When starting the update process I had 34 GB free HDD space.

An hour later I have 16.8GB and a Windows.old folder.

The update even changed my background color to all black, good choice, I guess that is the mood most users are in after such an ordeal.

So I have to chose if I want to recap 10GB HDD space, or keep the Windows.old folder just in case I want to roll back

God*mn bloatware :x :x :x

A) I don't understand windows 10 (though I've tried and tried)

B) I hate the update system.

C) It "anny'ed" today w/o my permission (see a and b)

D) I'm not getting any of the problems Numanoid has said. Hard drive is roughly the same, all my settings are the same, so far (total knock on wood) everything works as needed.

(incubus is not a shill. Do not take incubus if you have a pre-existing condition. If you experience thoughts of suicide or death, stop taking incubus immediately. Most common side effects of incubus are nausea, weight gain, headaches and decreased appetite. Do not drink alcohol with incubus)

incubus wrote:D) I'm not getting any of the problems Numanoid has said. Hard drive is roughly the same, all my settings are the same, so far (total knock on wood) everything works as needed.
Good that it doesn't affect everybody.

After doing system clean up and getting rid of Windows.old and the installation files, I have recouped some HDD space, but I still got 3GB less than yesterday before I started the update.

Numanoid wrote:Has Microsoft gone crazy :o

This anniversary update is more like Windows 11 than an update to Win 10

You just don't sneak that kind of update out without stating up front what users are in for.

When starting the update process I had 34 GB free HDD space.

An hour later I have 16.8GB and a Windows.old folder.

The update even changed my background color to all black, good choice, I guess that is the mood most users are in after such an ordeal.

So I have to chose if I want to recap 10GB HDD space, or keep the Windows.old folder just in case I want to roll back

God*mn bloatware :x :x :x
You are aware though, that the backup gives you a way to revert the changes, when anything about the update won't work?

chk071 wrote:You are aware though, that the backup gives you a way to revert the changes, when anything about the update won't work?
Of course, but it has worked for a couple of hours, and when I have taken the step to upgrade, I see no reason to go back.

Then you can just delete the backup via the disk cleanup tool built into Windows. :shrug:

chk071 wrote:Then you can just delete the backup via the disk cleanup tool built into Windows. :shrug:
Did I just write above already that I had done that :?

What's the issue then? :)

Micro$oft thought of the borg collective when making this update.

chk071 wrote:What's the issue then? :)
Save it for the "Let's troll thread" :P

I love the new start screen! :love:

Oh welll, just received a message from my friend and associate, about the so-called anniversary update having installed itself on his workstation. The result: when booting up, the system didn't load even as far as making it possible to go into safe mode. Botched driver installations were the cause, he's troubleshooting it now.

So... This is exactly the kind of crap I'd like to avoid at all costs. It should be absolutely trivial, obvious and essential to be able to trust an OS installation on a production machine, knowing that it will stay the way you have configured it - without having to actively evade unsolicited catastrophic alterations like this.
Last edited by Guenon on Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”