Stupid question: Does driver type affect DAW export sound/quality?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm using FL Studio and I know when I switch between ASIO4ALL, FL Studio driver and the Focusrite USB driver (Scarlett interface).. it sounds different. Now this is not a great surprise to me - but I am wondering if it's just changing the way the music sounds on the output, or if it changes everything about the generation of waveform itself, even influencing the final waveform permanently when exported.

I know I should just run a few tests and see for myself but I thought I would consult the oracles too : )

I'm keen to know best practice on this. I might be imagining things but it seems like it takes longer to export when i'm hooked upto the Focusrite interface too.

I'm speaking from a position of ignorance, but it seems to me that sound quality has a lot more to do with the quality of the electronics that the sound is passing through than the software. Good drivers will lower latency and the like, but have little effect on the sound.
At the driver level the sound is all ones and zeroes, digital, but by the time it gets to moving through your audio hardware, be it the on-board chip, or an external card/box, it's voltage and amps - analog in other words. And that hardware can enhance or ruin the sound.
Or so it seems to me. :D
(Where are the pros?)

Thanks for your input : )

I think the drivers only influence playback sound but rendering is the same, regardless of driver selected.

And I especially don't think the DAW leverages anything (beneficial or otherwise) from the hardware interface during export.

So it really doesn't matter what driver you have enabled when you export. Ie: I can make my tracks running through my Scarlett in the bedroom (Focusrite driver).. then take the laptop to the lounge and render with ASIO4ALL on the couch. No difference, either way.

But a pro viewpoint would be appreciated. I will do some tests myself even though this will surely be frowned upon :D

MogwaiBoy wrote:...rendering is the same, regardless of driver selected...
This is my guess, too. Rendering/exporting goes from the DAW direct to disk (or whatever one uses for storage).

Do you open the ASIO device in exclusive mode?
If not, there is mixing and maybe also resampling involved (which will be different on different drivers)

I'm not an expert, but I don't believe drivers themselves have a direct impact on sound quality, per say. But indirectly, if your poorly written, or unstable drivers create clicks & pops, stuttering etc on playback on what you consider a workable latency setting, then obviously your playback listening experience will be affected. Upon a mix down, such latency issues & driver instability won't be affected. So I think it really boils down to if your audio device is working out for you, and is stable while recording & playing back. And if you perceive it's audio quality as decent, than you should be good to go. IMO :phones:

No
Amazon: why not use an alternative

ZapAxe wrote:I'm not an expert, but I don't believe drivers themselves have a direct impact on sound quality, per say. But indirectly, if your poorly written, or unstable drivers create clicks & pops, stuttering etc on playback on what you consider a workable latency setting, then obviously your playback listening experience will be affected. Upon a mix down, such latency issues & driver instability won't be affected. So I think it really boils down to if your audio device is working out for you, and is stable while recording & playing back. And if you perceive it's audio quality as decent, than you should be good to go. IMO :phones:
It all depends on the implementation of the driver.
Like, ASIO4ALL is implemented on top WDM, not on top of the USB driver.
Means it needs an 3rd party audio driver to access audio hardware.
ASIO4ALL simluates ASIO by talking to the generic WDM driver interface. So audio travels: App -> ASIO4ALL -> WDM Audio Driver -> USB Driver -> Audio interface
But on the native ASIO driver of the audio interface, the path will more look like: App -> ASIO Audio Driver -> USB Driver -> Audio Interface.
Tow quite differnt paths, with differnt layers / codes involved (they do not necessarily lead to same output on the audio interface, depending what each of this layers is doing to the audio).

VariKusBrainZ wrote:No
This

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”