UAD Apollo Thunderbolt on Windows 10?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dec 16 UAD announced thunderbolt support under win 10 for computers with a builtin thunderbolt 3.

Any experiences using PCIe based Thunderbolt 3? Anybody got any configuration working yet?

Cheers!

I hate gear slutz, I will never miss gear slutz, I want burning death for gear slutz, but you should check over there. I know there was at least one thread and before that a TON of people in anticipation of it.

It been supporting Thunderbolt 2, Fire Wire and USB for Windows. the question should be, is it good interface and is it worth the price?

HanafiH wrote: Any experiences using PCIe based Thunderbolt 3? Anybody got any configuration working yet?
Yes.

Kaine wrote:
HanafiH wrote: Any experiences using PCIe based Thunderbolt 3? Anybody got any configuration working yet?
Yes.
Question: Why would anyone want thunderbolt vs USB? Cross platform? Is the latency that much better?

After reading about people wanting this seems like it's a long time waiting for a train that isn't timely.

Thunderbolt offers more bandwidth and a more guaranteed throughput although the overall performance is still very much driver set dependent. In real terms I'm not really sure if we've seeing one being inherently more stable than the other, and Thunderbolt is far more quirky than USB at this point during the initial setup phase whenever I work with it.

However once it's up and running, it's generally fine. Yes, the RTL result on a good interface can be PCIe grade levels of performance. At the same time it's quite possible for a firm to screw up the driver set, and I can think of a number of TB interfaces that perform far, far worse than a half decent USB interface.

The is still a lot of hype around it as a standard still right now and I'm not 100% convinced it's warranted for most people. That said, no doubt it'll improve over time and short of digging out a PCIe card, unless your going to drop £1500 on an USB RME, the are some great Thunderbolt devices for £500 that finally match what we'd expect to see out of the RME.

That said how many people are able to feel under the 5ms RTL most USB interfaces can hit these days? I'm going to wager very, very few.

Probably not. I'm at just under 6ms with FL studio and exactly 7ms with reason at 44.1/128 buffer with my RME babyface pro/win10. It's good enough for me.

I've often considered the Apollo usb unit because my lust for gear makes me want it, but I have a hard time believing that the plugs are so much better than what I have that it's worth a) the investment, b) having to go against the stability of the RME, and c) all the limitations depending on what you use of their plugs.

Maybe that is the biggest thing, being able to use more instances?

incubus wrote: Question: Why would anyone want thunderbolt vs USB? Cross platform? Is the latency that much better?
It's not about wanting Thunderbolt. It's about wanting a black face Apollo on Windows. If you dig into the UA web site, it didn't strike me like Thunderbolt, Apollo and Windows were ready for the big time because they were refusing to support the combination in anything other than the most obscure combination of PC hardware. Call me picky but I'm not laying out 1600 mazoomas for not having hardware support.

Well, we know in the year 2017 that waiting for "support" is like getting the winning lottery numbers ;)

It's not "not picky" that someone wouldn't want to pay that, but it's not realistic in this day and age (as stupid as that is) to expect virtually anything to work that doesn't already.

I have been shopping for a new AD converter and unless it is a misprint, Amazon has several vendors selling UA Apollo Twin USB (3.0 Windows-10) for five hundred dineros. Same price as the TB unit. I have a few open PCIe slots. If I want to go TB, which adapter should I buy?

Hi Bubbamusic,

You should ask UA. I didn't research the Twin units. Basically it looks (i.e. I'm guessing) from the support for the large black face Apollos that they were supporting a specific motherboard with onboard TBird 3. It's the kind of thing that should sort itself out over time would be my other guess. It's just not ready yet.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”