Building a home studio - advice

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hope this is the right section for this!

I have been using my PC, MIDI controller, monitors and basic interface & mic set up in a room in my house, but it's now time to build something better. So, I am going to convert a garage-style building we have into a studio and vocal booth.

I have enough space for the vocal booth to be big enough for up to three vocalists, and the remainder of the room to be big enough for me to set up my PC and gear and have a 'proper' desk. The two 'rooms' to be separated by a windowed partition and door.

Desk-wise, I was looking at the Behringer X32. It has talkback, many ins and outs, would allow me to run a surround monitoring setup, allows me to control Reaper, has motorised faders - all of which I need. And, I know this is shallow, but I would love a desk that looks 'substantial' - hence the X32... 32 channels is a bit overkill but would allow me to expand if I ever take the desk out to record a band or otherwise, and the price is great for a device that size.

Issue: I was previously using the Behringer FCA1616 on Windows 10 64bit system, and found that under reasonable load every few seconds (maybe a couple of times a minute) the audio would pause momentarily, then would emit a loud burst and the audio would then catch up. I did everything I could to diagnose this and all signs pointed to my graphics card but I couldn't improve it. By pure chance I tried a Focusrite 2i2 and the problem disappeared instantaneously. Hence, I am nervous about putting all my eggs in one basket with a big expensive Behringer X32 incase it suffers from other issues.

What other options are there that fit my needs? How do I go about connecting things up - do I just run enough XLR cables under the floor? This is all new to me - any advice would be greatly appreciated!

If you're going to insist on a 32 channel desk because you are (as you admit) shallow, then yeah, that's on you :)

Personally I see lots of 32 channel desks go on the second hand market, check facebook groups, gumtree, ebay in your area and find a seller who will let you try one out. I'd prefer a second hand Yamaha desk than a brand new Berhinger personally.

Regarding cables, you need a multicore/ stage box, so google that.

Thanks for that info :) I've decided recently to abandon the Behringer in favour of one of the Focusrite rackmount interfaces, and a nice control surface rather than an all in one. A bit more sensible, I know :)

prolly shouldn't post as not what you'd like to hear, it's your money and time, your choice.

people get sucked up into the music production dream - it's like a 24/7 party dude. if you haven't recorded bands, there's more involved than just mixing. most of the activity is about the people.. people who come to your house and see all your stuff you have now.

before spending a load of money based on an "i'll record tons of people one day" thought, start recording and producing people now, with what you have, and see if you like that whole aspect of it. other peoples' music making process might not be something you want to observe for hours on end.

if you don't have a big need for a vocal booth, you could probably do alright with partitions/baffles, that can be moved around and placed as needed (isolation, or breaking up acoustic space in the back of the monitoring area otherwise), which only take a couple of 2x4s and some fluffy stuff to make.
Last edited by xoxos on Fri Jun 02, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

Rule #1: Get insurance...!!!

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”