Windows MIDI vs. DirectMusic

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm trying to decide which type of MIDI port has better timing accuracy. I'm using Cubase 6 with Win7-64bit. Anyone know?
A well-behaved signature.

My primary MIDI keyboard is an M-Audio Ozone, if that matters.

Mu understanding is the direct midi was part of the old DX protocol andit is not longer actively supported. That being said I am using Steinberg Midex 3 and Midex 8 here using direct midi as they are supposed to offer better midi timing. I get good results with it tracking midi drums so I haven't actually A/B'd them. I also have 2 other midi interfaces attached and they use the windows midi ports (direct isn't available for those) and again I am happy with the results.

JerGoertz wrote:I'm trying to decide which type of MIDI port has better timing accuracy. I'm using Cubase 6 with Win7-64bit. Anyone know?

Awesome, thanks! :)

Scotty wrote:Mu understanding is that direct midi was part of the old DX protocol and it is no longer actively supported/developed. That being said, I am using Steinberg Midex 3 and Midex 8 here using direct midi as they are supposed to offer better midi timing. I get good results with it tracking midi drums so I haven't actually A/B'd them. I also have 2 other midi interfaces attached and they use the windows midi ports (direct isn't available for those) and again I am happy with the results.

JerGoertz wrote:I'm trying to decide which type of MIDI port has better timing accuracy. I'm using Cubase 6 with Win7-64bit. Anyone know?

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”