Ableton Live 10 & iMac Pro Question

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have been an Ableton Live Suite user for about 10 years & have just upgraded to Live 10 which I am very happy with. I have run Live & my music set-up on iMacs since day 1 & I am on my third iMac machine currently, which is a late 2013 27inch i7, 32GB RAM & 3TB Fusion drive. I have had no problems with it, runs really nicely....have produced 3 full albums (including production) using said machine & it is extremely rare for the fan to burst into life (which could not be said of previous iMacs). So what's my problem? Deep sigh........the iMac Pro!!!

I use both sample libraries (mostly through NI's Kontakt) & a lot of AU's (both instruments & production/mastering tools) in my music. I usually start writing music with some audio samples, but I prefer to convert to MIDI & use plugins, as I prefer working in MIDI. I could get away with using my current iMAC for probably another year or so, however having just bought Superior Drums 3 & seen how much RAM that uses (which hardly surprising as it sounds amazing) I have been looking at an iMac upgrade. So my question......which may well be fantasy looking at how much the damn thing costs......is how well does Ableton Live 10 utilise multi-cores? I have had a look at Ableton's support page & it states that Live 10 can support up to 64 cores (?), but then I searched the internet & found loads of contradictory information/claims/counter-claims, etc.

So playing the "fantasy" iMac Pro config game (which I have been on Apple's website for at least a month & I always end up with a £12K iMac Pro in my shopping basket, followed by a swift face-palm) - what is the best iMac choice that people would recommend for number of core's using Live 10? Stick with 4 on a standard iMac? Or go for iMac Pro base of 8 cores? Or would it be silly.....looking at say 18 cores? Would this benefit Live 10's performance or just give Apple more money for nice things to put in that circular space ship HQ thingy they are building?

Oh please no Windows/Mac comments, I deffo don't want to start a platform "war"......for better or worse I am a Apple Mac user only......& even though I have other DAWs (Logic Pro X, Bitwig & Reason) I always come back to Live, as I just like its workflow & it does everything I need. Look forward to replies.....

This part pf KVR is specifically for selling and buying audio gear, primarily second-hand sales. Your question is probably more appropriate for the Computer Setup and Configuration forum, and you're more likely to get useful help there than here.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=16

If you PM a moderator, you can get your thread relocated.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

^Moved.
No longer a moderator.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”