Rendered kick loses punch?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Why does a kick loses punch, when i render it as a wav file?

Settings.jpg is added as atachment file and i have fl waveshaper on it, making the kick really distorted. But it happens also, when i remove any effects on the kick channel.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Without having time to look at your data, first thing worth to check, is the mono/stereo: e.g. does your DAW render your mono-file to stereo, effects may change it, too.

What do you mean by "loses punch"? Do you mean volume?

Are we talking about a solo kick or the kick in a mix?

TimeToProduce wrote:Why does a kick loses punch, when i render it as a wav file?

Settings.jpg is added as atachment file and i have fl waveshaper on it, making the kick really distorted. But it happens also, when i remove any effects on the kick channel.
Just about the only thing that's likely to make any difference is "Resampling quality" since I'd guess you're probably not using "512-point sinc" for real-time playback. That setting controls the interpolation method for samples that are resampled (ie. not playing at their original pitch and/or sampling rate). If you are not pitching/resampling then there should really be zero difference, unless some plugin is using different quality settings on render.

The resampling difference is usually not really very audible between any of the "sinc" modes, but if your real-time resampling (in audio settings) is set to use the "linear" or "6-point hermite" (which I think is the default) modes then those can sometimes sound audibly different as the low-quality interpolation modes can color the sound somewhat and if this is your situation I could imagine the cleaner, higher-quality interpolation could sound less punchy (eg. missing a little bit of "dirt") in some situations.

Okay, I explained myself poorly, sorry about that. When I wrote "punch" i meant the very first snap , or attack of the individual kick was mising, it only had the middle and the tail.

I experimented with rendering and made 32th of a note headroom with nothing, before the individual kick was hitting.

I don't think it's resampling quality though, because the sample is nor pitched up or down, neither it is played by a plugin.. just dragged it into the playlist. I could be wrong about that, but it shouldn't make that big of a difference, where the whole punch of the kick is missing?

Edit: Also, I forgot to mention that I had it sidechained to 3 channels that werent playing. (everything was muted)

When you say render, describe the process.

It seems from your description like the first milliseconds or more are missing, so youre missing the attack/transient portion of the sound.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Does it happen with the other formats as well? (Mp3 etc.)

VariKusBrainZ wrote:When you say render, describe the process.

It seems from your description like the first milliseconds or more are missing, so youre missing the attack/transient portion of the sound.
Yes excatly, i miss the first milliseconds of the rendered file, as in formating the kick in my "play around" playlist down to wav file with given settings above.

Don't know if that was what you asked for but yeah..

Does it happen when I render it as .mp3 file? - I haven't tested that. And even though if that didn't happen to .mp3 rendered file, it still shouldn't be happening to wav either, or it's just something Fruity Loops can't figure out?

TimeToProduce wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:When you say render, describe the process.

Yes excatly, i miss the first milliseconds of the rendered file, as in formating the kick in my "play around" playlist down to wav file with given settings above.

Don't know if that was what you asked for but yeah..

Does it happen when I render it as .mp3 file? - I haven't tested that. And even though if that didn't happen to .mp3 rendered file, it still shouldn't be happening to wav either, or it's just something Fruity Loops can't figure out?
If you have effects on the track that youre rendering, perhaps its a PDC issue?

Try disabling 'Trim PDC delay'
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”