Focusrite Saffire Pro 40

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I recently built a new system after being away from things for a while. I couldn't find much info as to whether my old Pro40 would work with newer systems so I though I would post this Public Service Announcement.

When my 2010 iMac died I used my friends newer iMac which had a Thunderbolt port for a few projects and Apple's Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter worked just fine. So when I built this new system I went with a motherboard that had a Thunderbolt connector(fingers crossed). I purchased an Apple Thunderbolt 3 male to Thunderbolt 2 female connector and once again everything works fine. I am using the last version of MixControl (ver 3.7) that Focusrite posted from years ago.

I know that I need to update this audio interface but getting more value from it right now is a huge help. What I needed right now was a fix so I could keep working until I can get another good interface. I hope someone finds this useful.

So it connects (MB>adapter>adapter>Pro40)

Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 (firewire)
Asrock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming ITX/ac (motherboard)
Windows 10 Pro
Saffire MixControl 3.7
Apple Thunderbolt to Firewire Adapter (MD464LL/A)
Apple Thunderbolt 3 male to Thunderbolt 2 female connector (MMEL2AM/A)

...and as always, ymmv...

To add to this, it tends to work fine on the Gigabyte and Asus boards too whereever I've been asked to test the Saffire kit (popular request still). The Dice controller on it seems to work almost effortlessly over Thunderbolt, a stark contrast to any number of regular FW controllers they've been connected too over the years.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”