iPhone

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Has anyone had any experiance with the Iphones music software, what programs have you tried and is it a good platform for music or just a gimmic?

simon

i've seen a few apps that can turn it into a midi controller, they look pretty cool but i don't think they're finished yet. they seem to be geared towards ableton live for launching clips and such. they look pretty cool. for the actual "beat maker" type apps, i'm not even wasting my time looking at them
LISTEN TO MY MUSIC ON
MYSPACE

SOUNDCLICK

I wouldn't really waste my time with it. There are a couple of drum machines that I've seen that are 808, 909, etc. emulators. I'm sure that the sound quality isn't up to par with anything else of a professional grade. It seems to me as though they might be a little bit more of a gimmick / toy than anything else.

Seems to me someone posted about using an iPhone to VNC in to a Receptor. I'm impressed. But that's not using it to make music per se, just as a remote interface.

Someone actually has a piece of software that they wrote that controls the transport functions of ProTools and Logic. It's in the App Store. They want something ridciulous like 120+ dollars for it. Screw that!

Yeah, thats the problem with mobile phone apps, they're all ridiculously priced IMO. I'd sooner use the money to wipe my backside than pay $100 for a knockoff of internet explorer, especially when there's one with my phone and opera mini as a free alternative.

tatman6006 wrote:Someone actually has a piece of software that they wrote that controls the transport functions of ProTools and Logic. It's in the App Store. They want something ridciulous like 120+ dollars for it. Screw that!
Yeah I sent that to my ProTools-using buddies that have more money than sense and even they didn't go for it :)

Tux wrote:It's very cute... But I thought this type of thing had been around for a while?

Reason on the crapper anyone?

Reason on an iPhone??

How, where and how much??

simon

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Things have obviously changed a lot since this thread was started. From iPhone 6s onwards we are seeing serious computing power that now gets close to where desktops were just 1 or 2 years ago. Not only that but with Apples low latency internal workings (not very technical in description I know) we now have sometimes better performance on an iPhone than some desktops.
A few days ago Crudebyte released a piano of 14GB for iPhone/iPad that seems to rival some of the big PC sounds! (called Colossus Piano). I haven't tried it yet but am considering it seriously.
For the moment I'm mainly using on an iPhone 6s a soundfont player called bs-16i along with a midi file player called Sweet Midi Player and these two cater for most of my needs with a connected midi keyboard. I also have Korg Module and iGrand but find the sounds only acceptable (not great mostly only 2 or 3 velocity layers compared to even some free pianos like Salamander Grand that has 15 layers or more). I have also fiddled with the usual line-ups (GarageBand, ThumJam, SampleTank) but have not been overly impressed.
If its sounds you are interested I have free ones available from my site
https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/ (https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/)
If its loops, recording, music creation etc there are now more apps than you can cope with.
Whatever you are into I think iOS now has some pretty serious capabilities.

Jonky Ponky wrote:Things have obviously changed a lot since this thread was started. From iPhone 6s onwards we are seeing serious computing power that now gets close to where desktops were just 1 or 2 years ago. Not only that but with Apples low latency internal workings (not very technical in description I know) we now have sometimes better performance on an iPhone than some desktops.
A few days ago Crudebyte released a piano of 14GB for iPhone/iPad that seems to rival some of the big PC sounds! (called Colossus Piano). I haven't tried it yet but am considering it seriously.
For the moment I'm mainly using on an iPhone 6s a soundfont player called bs-16i along with a midi file player called Sweet Midi Player and these two cater for most of my needs with a connected midi keyboard. I also have Korg Module and iGrand but find the sounds only acceptable (not great mostly only 2 or 3 velocity layers compared to even some free pianos like Salamander Grand that has 15 layers or more). I have also fiddled with the usual line-ups (GarageBand, ThumJam, SampleTank) but have not been overly impressed.
If its sounds you are interested I have free ones available from my site
https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/
If its loops, recording, music creation etc there are now more apps than you can cope with.
Whatever you are into I think iOS now has some pretty serious capabilities.
Q: How do I get downloaded soundfonts onto my iPad?

If you have bs-16i you can use open in
Instant human just add coffee

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”