Android Tablets?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

UltraJv wrote:
Always the extremist eh? Ive worked in R&D, a lot is going on to solve those issues as we speak. Thats what the sample devices are meant for. To test what happens in the real world before production begins. High CPU power is used only when needed like any laptop. Hate all you like, Samsung will make a killing - they have a device in every market. I have the Samsung Nexus S Android phone and its great.
Who's being extreme? I said everyone who's used it that I'm aware of hasn't liked it for the reasons I stated. I didn't say I've used it nor did I say I "hated it". I said to wait to see what else comes out. Windows 8 for the tablet will be fantastic; it's clear to see that after using Windows 8. It should be a lot more successful than the fragmented Android tablets.

polaris20 wrote:Windows 8 for the tablet will be fantastic; it's clear to see that after using Windows 8. It should be a lot more successful than the fragmented Android tablets.
I don't know where people are getting this impression from? While there might be some x86 devices to run 'old' software the majority of Win8 tablets will run on ARM processors. These tablets will essentially be the same devices that run iOS, Android and Phone7 now. This new platform for windows means that there will be almost no software from the start and all new software products will have to go through MS shops. Only class compliant external devices will be allowed. There is no low level audio (MS' hardware and software specs for Win8 are even worse than Google's for Android) and at the end there will be the same device fragmentation like on the Android platform because it is the only chance to gain a noteworthy market share and to attract developers to the platform.

In short: Windows8 tablets will not look like Windows7 notebooks with touchscreen; they will just be upscaled WindowsPhone7 smartphones.

Benutzername wrote:
polaris20 wrote:Windows 8 for the tablet will be fantastic; it's clear to see that after using Windows 8. It should be a lot more successful than the fragmented Android tablets.
I don't know where people are getting this impression from? While there might be some x86 devices to run 'old' software the majority of Win8 tablets will run on ARM processors. These tablets will essentially be the same devices that run iOS, Android and Phone7 now. This new platform for windows means that there will be almost no software from the start and all new software products will have to go through MS shops. Only class compliant external devices will be allowed. There is no low level audio (MS' hardware and software specs for Win8 are even worse than Google's for Android) and at the end there will be the same device fragmentation like on the Android platform because it is the only chance to gain a noteworthy market share and to attract developers to the platform.

In short: Windows8 tablets will not look like Windows7 notebooks with touchscreen; they will just be upscaled WindowsPhone7 smartphones.
I don't know where you're getting your impression from, because Windows 8 ARM edition (or whatever it'll be called) hasn't even been given out to anyone except OEMs yet, while the Samsung tablet has been. There hasn't been any indication at all as to what the predominant Windows 8 architecture will be; it all depends on the manufacturers at this point.

Going the ARM route might make it competitive in terms of battery life, but it will positively kill the platform entirely otherwise, since as you say there will be almost no application support for it.

You're completely assuming that Windows 8 on a tablet = ARM, and absolutely no one including MS themselves have said that's the sole way they're going.

polaris20 wrote:
Benutzername wrote:

I don't know where you're getting your impression from, because Windows 8 ARM edition (or whatever it'll be called) hasn't even been given out to anyone except OEMs yet, while the Samsung tablet has been. There hasn't been any indication at all as to what the predominant Windows 8 architecture will be; it all depends on the manufacturers at this point.

Going the ARM route might make it competitive in terms of battery life, but it will positively kill the platform entirely otherwise, since as you say there will be almost no application support for it.

You're completely assuming that Windows 8 on a tablet = ARM, and absolutely no one including MS themselves have said that's the sole way they're going.
That is an interesting discussion you have going there. I would like to hear more about what both of you base your assumptions on. Why are you, Benutzername, almost certain that the tablets will have ARM processors?

Now don't get yourself banned before you have delivered your arguments plz. :wink:

Polaris20 clearly states what his assumptions are based upon. No need for you to be a troll.

IncarnateX wrote:
That is an interesting discussion you have going there. I would like to hear more about what both of you base your assumptions on. Why are you, Benutzername, almost certain that the tablets will have ARM processors?

Now don't get yourself banned before you have delivered your arguments plz. :wink:
Unlike other people here, I've never been banned, temporary or otherwise. So I don't know where you get that idea. Also, I'm not sure where you got the inclination that I thought Windows 8 tablets would go the ARM direction; that was the other gentleman's viewpoint, certainly not mine. You're quoting me, but addressing him, so I don't know whom you're referring to.

I'm deriving my viewpoint from the various podcasts and industry magazines I get, because besides being a hack musician I'm also a sysadmin. So generally I keep up on this stuff as much as possible, because it directly relates to my job. I'm currently using Windows 8 consumer preview on a couple devices, and I actually both like and dislike it. I think on a tablet, it'll be incredibly powerful. On a desktop/laptop, especially one with a large screen or screens, it's currently very annoying as it stands today.

I think the success of Windows tablets rest solely in the platform. From everything I've read recently, MS just isn't talking a lot about the ARM version, whereas every tech journalist I follow is already actively using an x86 tablet, on which Windows 8 works very well. There just seems to be a much bigger emphasis on x86 currently, probably due to the "hey it's a tablet, but it still runs your apps" idea.

Yeah, it's an assumption. But it's not just a shot in the dark assumption. Only time will tell what becomes the standard. I just heard this morning that Nokia will have a Windows 8 tablet out before the end of the year, and that it'll be an ARM-based model, so maybe it'll go in that direction. Who knows.

The big problem as it relates to us is that the ARM version will most definitely have a problem with audio latency stuff, since MS is only allowing application development for the ARM version to be within the Metro confines. Another problem is that if the ARM format ends up being the bigger of the two platforms for tablet use, there will be a very, very small amount of applications available at launch, compared to the huge lead both iOS and Android have. That will be a major problem, as we've already seen with the Touchpad and the Playbook. Those two devices probably weren't all that great to begin with, but they also don't have a big app selection either, which hurts the platform as much or more than the device itself.

polaris20 wrote:Unlike other people here, I've never been banned, temporary or otherwise. So I don't know where you get that idea.
It was a joke, nothing personal.
polaris20 wrote: Also,I'm not sure where you got the inclination that I thought Windows 8 tablets would go the ARM direction
I didn't: My question was "Why are you, Benutzername, almost certain that the tablets will have ARM processors?" . Check it yourself.

But thanks for the rest the explanation.

mbncp wrote:
IncarnateX wrote:I don't want a PC, I wan't an iPad and the one I got have no flaws as such.
Didn't you jb your iPad ?
Yes, thats why I got no flaws.

sonicflux wrote:Polaris20 clearly states what his assumptions are based upon. No need for you to be a troll.
I am not trolling....jerk!

IncarnateX wrote:
mbncp wrote:
IncarnateX wrote:I don't want a PC, I wan't an iPad and the one I got have no flaws as such.
Then I guess you're not a Meteor user or you'd be pissed off. In the latest release they fixed a few bugs (there are still plenty), finally added background audio and the best of all it's iOS 5.1 only, which means either loose the jb or get lost.
And this can and will probably happen with other apps.

No flaw ?

mbncp wrote:
IncarnateX wrote:
mbncp wrote:
Then I guess you're not a Meteor user or you'd be pissed off. In the latest release they fixed a few bugs (there are still plenty), finally added background audio and the best of all it's iOS 5.1 only, which means either loose the jb or get lost.
And this can and will probably happen with other apps.

No flaw ?
Exactly, no flaws. Need reasons? Here:

1) I am not a meteor user
2) Even if I was, jb just means that your updates will be delayed because sooner or later they will jailbreak any upcoming versions of iOS.
3) The lack of a general file system acces in iOS is at worst "A" flaw (singularis) and not "flaws (pluralis) like suggested in your "all the other stuff" remark and jb' ing solves it in contrast to the inability to solve things like "noise" , "latency", "heat", "battery time" etc.

Simple as that. :wink:

IncarnateX wrote:
sonicflux wrote:Polaris20 clearly states what his assumptions are based upon. No need for you to be a troll.
Oh my, you're sensitive. Need a tissue?

sonicflux wrote:
IncarnateX wrote:
Thanks for the invitation to a long and meaningful conversation but I must decline; you are simply too unimportant.

IncarnateX wrote:
polaris20 wrote:Unlike other people here, I've never been banned, temporary or otherwise. So I don't know where you get that idea.
It was a joke, nothing personal.
polaris20 wrote: Also,I'm not sure where you got the inclination that I thought Windows 8 tablets would go the ARM direction
I didn't: My question was "Why are you, Benutzername, almost certain that the tablets will have ARM processors?" . Check it yourself.

But thanks for the rest the explanation.
That's what I figured, but you were quoting my last post, hence the clarification.

IncarnateX wrote:
sonicflux wrote:
IncarnateX wrote: I am not trolling....jerk!
Thanks for the invitation to a long and meaningful conversation but I must decline; you are simply too unimportant.
You were going to have a meaningful conversation with a tissue?

You, obviously, are very important. When are you planning on overtaking Waterloo?

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”