session band app

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This app is the evolution of a loop CD. Great tool for songwriters that can't play an instrument or you can just jam and solo to the different styles. It remindes me of my Roland PMA-5, except that did it with midi files. The quality of the loops are great and the interface is very good too. That being said, it's not a professional tool in the sense that I would use this on a label release. Just imagine if all the pros used this, we'ld all sound the same. The main problem again is not enough variations to distinguish yourself from others that use this tool. I'm not trying to knock this app because it does have it's uses like I mentioned before, and it's a lot easier to use than a loop CD. And of course the price - killer! Does anyone remember the 90's when loop CD's where $99 and above, and that was for a small selection of loops. Amazing how far we've come. I think the app strikes a good balance of loop variations/styles and yet keeping the number of loops managable.

It's big but you can also delete files you don't want

it's great for making demos quickly

a demo here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vzoEv5JUjY

First off, I am not a professional musician. I am an amateur of over 30 years. I planned to use session band to put together chord progressions that I could then solo over or play with. I also planned to use it to help me teach others. I must say for that purpose, it is great. The sounds are incredible. I have two complaints.

1: Editing is non-trival, not intuitive and clunky. I have fat fingers and some of the ways that you have to do things just don't work for me very well.

2: Playback on my itouch stutters (for lack of a better way to explain it). I have contacted support but have heard nothing except the automated response. They don't seem interested in fixing my problem. I bought the whole damn thing and they don't even want to contact me. the peson who said the people behind it were quality is having better luck than me.

Fix the above two things and I would probably spend time in it every day.

---If you press them on issues they'll get snippy with you. I asked them about midi several times (I too bought the whole thing only to have them lower the price drastically soon afterwards)and after them telling me that I would be very happy with the update and then finding the update had no midi and they have no plans to put midi in it I asked them again. "We've told you several times"...wrong way to treat someone who got you other business!

Well, it looks like Session Band have released 3 variations on this app, and it's been a while since the original critiques were posted.

Has it become easier to manipulate (fat finger's) and has it grown up a bit?

It's unclear as to what the difference between the original version and the 3 new versions are. Do they work together, or are just style specific?

They look like a great idea as I would just buy the whole bundle anyway, but want to see if it's been supported somewhat.

Any app that says "PRO" in the description is usually my cue to look the other way. I'm open perhaps to this one though.
"All generalizations are false".
"Don't quantize me bro"!

martygras wrote: Any app that says "PRO" in the description is usually my cue to look the other way. I'm open perhaps to this one though.
I think they mean "PRO" is as far as they guys playing the instruments they looped are professionals. I bought the Acoustic Guitar and Piano versions. They both come with several "demos" which are really just saved chord progressions, in a bunch of different solo styles. The interface is identical to the original, except that there's an extra button so you can read the bio of the guy playing the loops. There's the adjust tempo button, which doesn't do anything because it didn't sound right on the solo instruments. There's still the mixing board with 5 mixers, but only one that works. It IS audiobus compatible. However, there are no facilities or plans for additional loops, and once you've downloaded the @330 meg file, it no longer requires the internet. They aren't bad, but are a bit expensive for what are essentially loops that could have been added as an IAP to the original Sessionband, The Jazz version is supposed to be "wonderful" but I'm not buying it.

Hope this help.

Well, although this thread seems to be a bit old I will just say two words.
I was one of the hardest critic when they started and I was absolutely unhappy with the pricing. Meanwhile I changed to a real fan of the app. I bought every edition and will in future. The concept is brilliant, the loops are the finest and the devs are learning very quickly. The freshest edition is Jazz 3 and this is amazing with outstanding musicians and very nice loops. By the way, I don´t know any app which is serving jazz musicians like they do (3 jazz editions is cool). For me, the pricing now is perfect, and to make it more intersting they often give discounts on selected editions.
The feedback is ok, they are friendly and openminded for critical points or improvements. Hope this helps a bit.

they've been 99c a few times now and i think i have them all.. the jazz ones are very handy and the blues one is great to jam to too. they're pretty sizey but if they're the sort of things you might use you'll probably use them regularly.. they may still be 99c too

hallygally wrote:Well, although this thread seems to be a bit old I will just say two words.
I was one of the hardest critic when they started and I was absolutely unhappy with the pricing. Meanwhile I changed to a real fan of the app. I bought every edition and will in future. The concept is brilliant, the loops are the finest and the devs are learning very quickly. The freshest edition is Jazz 3 and this is amazing with outstanding musicians and very nice loops. By the way, I don´t know any app which is serving jazz musicians like they do (3 jazz editions is cool). For me, the pricing now is perfect, and to make it more intersting they often give discounts on selected editions.
The feedback is ok, they are friendly and openminded for critical points or improvements. Hope this helps a bit.
But do you have to buy Jazz 1 and 2 first?

---Early on they told me that they were considering midi and I bought everything they had because I could see this as an excellent arranger type tool to use in a singles or duo format. After asking several times they informed me (not very nicely) that they weren't going to and so I relegated this app to the won't use file like with Gadget (until they update it).
The sounds on Session Band I think are excellent and I wish they'd not drawn a line in the sand about midi, it's also very clunky to edit if you don't have tiny fingers. A real waste given the quality of sounds... :cry:

miden wrote:
hallygally wrote:Well, although this thread seems to be a bit old I will just say two words.
But do you have to buy Jazz 1 and 2 first?

I cannot get an answer from the app dev and none here either it seems?

Jazz 1 costs $10, Jazz 2 costs $10 but all I can see is Jazz 2 adds 15 more styles that's it...further does one need to buy the original Session Band app ($3.50) or these packs?

Also if buying the packs is each one a separate app that needs to be opened and running? Meaning that say I want to use a style from each of the three Jazz packs for example I need to have all three running and the try to switch between them? No information suggests each pack can be used by another one

These are questions put to the devs with ZIP response. So not only is it expensive and a huge download the operation of the apps is quite "clunky" as well.

Seems the setup of the apps is to "milk as much money from buyers as they can. I seriously doubt they even got "musos" in to do the recordings, probs used a shitload of existing audio loops that abound. Just look at the thousands of loops magazines like Computer Music give away..

I think I will wait for another similar app that treats people better and has a better selling model.

Well I won't try to convince you to get these apps, but I'll try to answer your questions:
- all the apps are free-standing, they are not dependent on any of the other apps being installed. in other words, you could buy just Jazz 3 if you wanted.
- the original Session Band has additional styles that can be bought as an in-app purchase. they can't be used by any of the other apps.
- Jazz 1, 2 etc. each have their own styles which aren't shared with each other.

I just picked up Jazz 1 and the original plus the full style bundle. I haven't used them that much yet but so far I really like them. I'm definitely going to pick up another Jazz app next time the go on sale.

It's cool...but...it doesn't match up with other apps. For example...export piano track from session band to BM2 where I like to construct my drum tracks. The bpm doesn't line up and the loops are offset. Also...I wish the app let you have full control over the bpm. These are very minor gripes...the app is perfect for jamming along to.
Rock On!

narapela wrote:Well I won't try to convince you to get these apps, but I'll try to answer your questions:
- all the apps are free-standing, they are not dependent on any of the other apps being installed. in other words, you could buy just Jazz 3 if you wanted.
- the original Session Band has additional styles that can be bought as an in-app purchase. they can't be used by any of the other apps.
- Jazz 1, 2 etc. each have their own styles which aren't shared with each other.

I just picked up Jazz 1 and the original plus the full style bundle. I haven't used them that much yet but so far I really like them. I'm definitely going to pick up another Jazz app next time the go on sale.
Yeah this is my point exactly...let's say I have three songs I want to do, and song 1 needs a style from Jazz 1, song 2 needs a style form Jazz 2, song 3 from Jazz 3 this means I have to have all three open at the same time and then have to navigate between them. Same applies if I want to use a Rock pack.

I think these guys are not allowing cross importing of styles as they can justify the cost of Jazz 2 (only 15 additional styles) for the same cost as Jazz 1, instead of simply allowing an in-app purchase of the additional styles in Jazz 1 - which for $10 cannot be justified.

Oh, that and the fact they do not reply to email enquiries, do not reply even to those who have bought ALL the packs, and they make no replies here...

Definitely "Dodgy Brothers" imo

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”