What is your favorite drum machine for iPad and why?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What is your favorite drum machine for iPad and why?

Drum samplers count too.

I'm gonna go with dm1. Awesome effects and pattern sequencer. It's annoying it doesn't do per pattern tempo changes.

The garage band drum instrument is surprisingly sophisticated. The velocity sensitivity could be better, but it's cool that it does it at all. It's annoying it doesn't do per measure time signature changes, unless I'm missing something.

I also like DM1 a lot. Simple and fun. Audiobus support is a plus too.

I like MoDrum, because you can load audio drum loops into it's "looper" slot and they are time stretched on the fly. The drum synthesis sounds great, and most importantly it handles midi clock flawlessly! Ciao.

Interested in how you use the midi clock.

Well, I do live looping, and anything that can generate clock can be sent to MoDrum. It could be external (I use an Audiobox 22vsl) devices like a Kaossillator pro or the Electrix Repeater, or for in the box stuff one combination I like is to use Thumbjam as the destination in Audiobus, with JamUp Pro for guitar as the source. I run MoDrum parallel - not in Audiobus - but Thumbjam provides clock (start and stop also) to MoDrum. I've got a pile of pre approved drum beat loops ready to be loaded into the looper slot on the fly all synched to the loops I create in Thumbjam, including live guitar input. Thumbjams interface is a bit fiddly as far as mixing, and I have to manually switch over to MoDrum which is a pain, but it is really incredible how much can be created with this embarrassment of riches.

I've been having fun running Loopseque along with all of the above, and it's a blast - great for constantly evolving percussion stuff, and with some neat fx. It's a good match for the acoustic drum loops I use in MoDrum, maybe a swing ride jazz groove in Modrum, with glitched out electronic stuff from loopseque. Glitchbreaks would be sweet for this too.

Sometimes it's hard to segregate your midi clocks from different source apps and a receiving app will go double speed, but if you play around with midi channels and who's doing what you can usually get it sorted.

A multi-route Audiobus with a mixer and visual midi patching would be my favorite thing ever, but really, all this stuff already is!

Ciao!

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”