New Zoom H6 that is battery operated AND works with iDevices

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This JUST came out:

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i- ... ign=130727

I damn sure bought one INSTANTLY.

I bought it at http://www.zzounds.com/item--ZOMH6 because they offer 4 payments same as cash with no interest (AMS splits it into three payments). I opted for the 2nd day shipping which cost a measly $7!

I already own the H2 and H4 and skipped the H4N and the Q series, but this one has features that I just plain NEED!

Among all the other amazing things this gadget can do, it's battery operated (or USB electric operated) AND can be used with the iPhone and iPad (via camera connection kit)!!! Up to 6 in 2 out AND works with iPad and therefore Auria and more.

Oh, yeah, AND 20 HOURS ON 4 AA's!!!

This is one AWESOME piece of portable kit!

I'll do an unboxing video when I receive it on Wednesday.

Mike

Looks like a great device. We look forward to your unboxing video.

Thanks.
Dave

I'm excited - it's out for delivery and should be here sometime later today.

Mike

It arrived this afternoon. I had to help fix some computers, so I JUST got to the unboxing video - and unfortunately, Some of it is messed up. I will edit out the crap that is bad and re-record it again in the morning. Sorry.

The actual unboxing is recorded (the audio is quite muffled), but I will record with a better camera tomorrow and show all the features as well as hearing how it records.

I can say it is a VERY nice and PRO piece of kit. It feels VERY well built and the mics are NOT plastic - they are made of metal and HEAVY. It feels like this recorder will definitely take abuse and NOT break if you drop it (which can happen). If you attach this to your hot shoe or video camera, it will add some definite weight, which should be kept in mind. I can't wait to use this and report my opinions and findings. I love that it comes in a hard case that holds at least the two attachments that comes with it, the USB cable, a nice wind screen and the actual H6 recorder (obviously). The two other attachments which are separate are not yet available - may fit in the case as well. I plan on buying both when they come out. One is a shotgun mic attachment and the other adds the other advertised inputs - for a total of 6 in and 2 out - with its own pads, dials and even another headphone jack! Out of the box, it can record 4 in / 2 out and has at least one headphone jack.

My second video will show the unit and its features. Stay tuned for both videos.

Mike
Last edited by Karmacomposer on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wow, that looks awesome!

time to start saving :)

dw

I can't justify buying this until I actually record something with my H4n. :oops: Been in a drawer for four years. Every once and a while I do pull it out and look at it longingly. Maybe I'll go do that now.

audientronic wrote:I can't justify buying this until I actually record something with my H4n. :oops: Been in a drawer for four years. Every once and a while I do pull it out and look at it longingly. Maybe I'll go do that now.
I have the H4 and have messed with the H4n. The H6 is in another league entirely. The H2 and H4 and their future versions are plastic and record well, but feel as cheap as they are made and the quality is good, but not good enough for the rigors of broadcast.

The H6, on the other hand, feels absolutely solid. If I dropped my H2 or H4, I am pretty sure it would crack the plastic housing, hurt it in some way or just destroy it (never dropped one yet). Obviously, the H6's screen COULD crack (it's glass and not plastic), but overall, I am pretty sure it would simply scratch the unit a bit. This thing feels like a Sherman Tank!

It records wonderfully as well. The initial short tests confirm the quality. At 96khz, 24 bit, the sound is just PERFECT (I chose broadcast wave format). You can choose from WAV (16/24/96) and KHZ (44.1/48/96) and MP3 (all the usual bit rates up to 256).

Yes, handling it with your hands produces a LOT of noise just like when you hold a microphone and move it around while talking into it. I see the need for a shock mount, boom or shock absorbing handle to hold this while recording. If on a camera, I doubt it will make any additional noise. The mics are THAT sensitive. Again, I cannot stress enough that this unit is HEAVY - it WILL add quite a bit of weight to a video or DSLR rig.

The dials are rock solid and move silently - no gears or notches - they just glide when you turn them. The mics have their own dial for loudness and each channel has its own pad switch (on/off). The switches feel rock solid and will not break. In fact, NOTHING on the H6 feels cheap in any way. It feels SOLID.

As far as the included wind screen - well, that is the only cheapo part - as expected. They make a Dead Cat (called, ironically, the Dead Kitten) as an aftermarket fuzzy wind screen - buy that - it makes all the difference for outside audio or anyplace with wind (like a ceiling or other fan, for example).

The H6 is obviously being marketed for broadcast professionals and anyone who is SERIOUS in the sound gathering field. As someone who does field recording, and who has handled almost every make and model of field recorders - both low end and high end - I can safely tell you that the H6 is better than almost all of them. I am THAT impressed with how rock solid the unit is. It feels like a multi-thousand dollar recording device. The fact that is works with the iPad (using the USB camera connection kit) AND can record as many as 6 discreet channels at once in 96khz/24 bit and DOES NOT REQUIRE any power - the 4 batteries power it for over 20 hours - and IS class compliant means that it is the ULTIMATE iPad sound device that you can take anywhere. It is missing MIDI, but this is not meant as a MIDI device, it IS a field recorder and also a USB sound card for computers and the iPad.

Talking about the ultimate sound device for your iPad - I also bought this:

http://www.makayama.com/moviemount.html

(Do yourself a favor and buy it through B&H Photo Video and not direct from Makayama unless you are around The Netherlands - it cost me a LOT of money to ship it to the USA and took over a MONTH to get here - B&H would have cost $25 less and would have arrived in 3-5 days - ughhhh - live and learn).

It is a hard shell case for your iPad 1 to the newest version and has the ability to hold as many as two cold shoe devices (a mic and a light, for example), has a tripod mount, a 37mm lens holder (for wide, telephoto, fisheye and other 37mm lenses) that can slide on and off the iPad camera lens and a built in stand. The iPad easily fits in and out of it and truly turns the iPad into a serious video camera AND studio (they even have a cool video recording app that makes your iPad look like a broadcast camera). Although the H6 will make it really heavy when hand held, putting it on a tripod or spider mount will really turn the iPad into a viable recorder!!!

Listening back to the audio I recorded with the two mics, the sound if perfect and every nuance was recorded flawlessly. I liked the side recording mic a bit better and I LOVED the ability to dial up how much SIDE you record - 1 to 6 or RAW. It's like a built-in amp for the side mic. The X/Y mic is the usual suspect found on the H4/H4n, but MUCH more solidly made. It also has its own volume dial and works very well. The stereo sound is quite good and feels almost 3D!

It has not only a headphone jack, but a audio output as well - you can use it to monitor the audio or send it to a video camera or as a second headphone jack

This is a MUST-HAVE device for any field recorder, sound designer or anyone wanting one hell of a 6 input/2 out for their computer or iPad. I plan on using this with my friend (he plays drums, bass and guitar) - i'll plug in his drums (good quality V Drums), his bass and guitar, my keyboard and eventually, once I get the 2 input module, our two microphones. In one tiny device, the two of us can record all of our instruments without the need for electricity and at 96khz, 24 bit. It is very easy to attach it to the computer to download the audio for further editing and mastering.

I forgot to mention the amazing modes it has (and you can use any of them at any time, not one or all). Check this out:

Automatic record - senses sound and records - so if you miss your cue - not to worry.

2 Second Record - automatically records 2 seconds BEFORE you press the record button in case you mess up.

Backup Record - automatically backs up the recording (12db less loud) in realtime in case something happens to the original or the volume was too loud and distorted (although it has a limiter you can turn on) - not to worry - pretty much a parallel backup - NICE!

It allows for basic editing and overdubbing. You can choose either 2 in/2 out mode or 6 channel mode when attached to a PC or Mac (the 4 combo XLR inputs AND the L/R mic). Likewise, you can record to all 6 at once or choose from L/R or channels 1-6.

Trust me, this bad boy is FULLY LOADED! I am so damn excited.

Mike

I've owned the H2 and the H4N and sold both of them. My problem with the Zooms has always been that they're high on features but pretty mediocre with actual conversion quality and noise floor (though the H4N was better than the H2). They never publish important specs. The tell is usually doing field recording in a very quiet environment, like a remote lake environment in the early morning.

I ended up using a mic, Mini-Me and a Microtrack II as a bit-bucket; though it makes for a rather bulky setup the quality of the recordings was excellent. I'd love to find a portable device that could encapsulate that quality and sound that good OOTB. I'm looking forward to hearing some H6 recordings and reading some detailed analysis of the recording quality. Thanks for the overview!

I did my 1st simple test with the H6 using my iPad running Auria, a lightning to USB connection kit (female) and the H6 with its USB cable and only running on batteries.

The bad news - You MUST choose 2 in 2 out to run with the iPad. PC and Mac can be 6 in 2 out.

The almost good news - You can still plug in 6 sound sources and record them all - but they will be mixed down and recorded to only 2 tracks on the iPad.

The really great news - HOLY CRAP does it sound amazing!!! The H6 will record at the quality set in your DAW. I had it set to 48khz 24 bit in Auria, so that is what the H6 sampled at (and said so on screen).

I used the side recording mic for this test and sat in a local pizza place and recorded room ambiance and my son slurping down his pizza and water (the munching noises are simply priceless - sounded like swine eating at the trough).

I was able to monitor on the H6, record two tracks into Auria and playback on Auria routed automatically back through the H6, so no need to change headphones and listen through the iPad's jack. In fact, unplugging the headphones on the H6 results in one hell of a squeal from the iPad!!! I won't be doing that again.

It was all very painless and I could tell that the pairing will be simply amazing - my iPad will give me at least 8 to 10 hours of continuous use and the H6 will double that. 10 hours is long enough for almost any creative process to continue to fruition!

I will post audio and video samples soon.

Mike

Sorry for resurrecting an old post, but I'm just wondering if you have managed to get the H6 working on the ipad in the multi-track mode? I have been thinking about getting it for simultaneous multitracking but been getting contradicting comments on the various forums. The following is from the Auria forum in which some users apparently have managed to have the H6 doing 6 in 2 out on their ipad.

Kwan

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”