is the iPad still better than android devices for music productions?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

a simple and maybe over-asked question.
if one has to buy a tablet and plans to incorporate it into his DAW to control the PC software, play some app based synth, to something something experimental on the tablet while he is away from home or expand music expression cabailitis with cool apps, what should he choose??
android or iOS??

is android approaching the capabilities of iPad or still is far away?? in particular regarding good apps and latency... and the possibility to expand the tablet with midi, audio/in, etc

I think the andriod achilles heel is still it's latency issues. I wish it wasn't like that as I only have andriod devices but basically for me I've given up on it until I hear of some major code change (people have been getting incremental speed increases but I think the basic architectural issues are still there).

On the other hand, while I don't own any apple anything my friends ipad seems pretty impressive for ampsim's and basic recording....

Fact is there are still more apps developed for iOS than for Android so regardless of latency or compatibilty that should be a consideration as well..
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

As long as Android doesn't do anything about latency, iOS is the way to go.
and as Spiritos said, there are tons of excellent apps on iOS.

Also the USB-Audio I/O performance of the available Android devices is all over the place.
Last edited by mindnoise on Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mindnoise wrote:As long as Android doesn't do anything about latency, iOS is the way to go.

Kind of the chicken and the egg thing... There aren't as many music app's for Android simply because the latency sucks. If the latency times were comparable I'm sure a lot more dev's would bother...

chrisby wrote:
mindnoise wrote:As long as Android doesn't do anything about latency, iOS is the way to go.

Kind of the chicken and the egg thing... There aren't as many music app's for Android simply because the latency sucks. If the latency times were comparable I'm sure a lot more dev's would bother...
that's for sure! I wished so, too.

But it's not the only reason.

Performance variety across all the Android devices is far from consistent. It's hard to develop for a specific feature set if you don't know the hardware it will run on. So Optimization is also a problem.

As with the gaming consoles. You cannot push the Hardware if there is too much performance variety. So you must settle for the lowest common denominator, or lose sales, if too less people have the hardware required.

my 2cents
Last edited by mindnoise on Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yes. Android is not in the game. Except for Caustic, Android is devoid of the advanced and professional apps that iDevices have.

Mike

Plus
Sunvox nanoloop g stomper reactable mikrowave syntheogen kosm and others escaping my mind just now...
Every man and every woman is a star.

http://www.musicalandroid.com/

ipad is miles ahead.

ok!
thanks for kind answers...
so if a tablet should be, iPad is the way to go... :)

Just don't start syncing iOS apps together internally (virtual MIDI), headaches will occur frequently ( drift / start-stop problems / etc ).

bosone wrote:ok!
thanks for kind answers...
so if a tablet should be, iPad is the way to go... :)
You can get a full windows 8 'tablet' for not much more than an iPAD and run standard VST and DAW software....standard USB keyboards and audio I/O

really??
will sonar 8.5 and komplete work on that tablet?
what about hard drive space??
should one use an extenral hdd?

@bosone The short answer to your question is, "Yes, it could possibly work."

Be aware however, that if you get a windows tablet, you will end up having to treat it like a laptop or a desktop, rather than a tablet. You will lose the benefit of having a tablet. Windows doesn't have music apps specifically designed for the tablet interface like the iPad does. You will be trying to control a desktop app on a 7" to 10" screen using the equivalent of a mouse pointer.

Also, Sonar and Komplete have significantly higher hardware requirements than apps on an iPad--you'd have to get a pretty beefy tablet to make decent use of those apps (especially if using them together at the same time). Not likely to be as cheap as an iPad.
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

And you COULD NOT do it on Windows RT. It would have to be a full blown Windows Pro Tablet - and you would need the most powerful one to do anything real with it.

The cost would be plenty expensive and the above answer is correct.

Mike

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”