Why there are so few pro Android music apps?

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

miden wrote:Thing is, the cost of an android device (10") that can run this stuff is now about the same as a iPad...I would much rather go with the iOS system and the rock solid apps (because the iOS system is closely monitored by Apple as are the apps)

Back whenever, Android devices had a distinct cost advantage, not any more. Again this is in the high end range of hardware - which is to say it is apples -v- apples.
A Kindle Fire is less than $150 and runs Caustic without any problems. iPads are more than double.

miden wrote:Thing is, the cost of an android device (10") that can run this stuff is now about the same as a iPad...I would much rather go with the iOS system and the rock solid apps (because the iOS system is closely monitored by Apple as are the apps)

Back whenever, Android devices had a distinct cost advantage, not any more. Again this is in the high end range of hardware - which is to say it is apples -v- apples.
Er, no. When I got my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10" 32 GB, a similarly specced ipad was about twice as expensive.

ariston wrote: Er, no. When I got my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10" 32 GB, a similarly specced ipad was about twice as expensive.
Okay, write here the specs for your android and then the "similarly" specced iPad..

I daresay they will NOT be similarly specced at all ;)

Android for music on any standard android hardware still sucks...it is only on the high end android devices (up around the $750-900 mark) that can be said to be on a level field with the iPad 4/5

Rubbish. You pay for the apple name. You can get better specs for much less on Android.

okay whatever floats your boat :)

ciao

Kriminal wrote:You pay for the apple name. You can get better specs for much less on Android.
That, and also it seems like Apple computers, or tablets, are especially popular among artists because it is something "special". And due to the fact that they are popular among that clients, the whole audio thing is easy to configure, you already get good hardware with low latency, and the system will be built in regards of that.

Just seems like Android wasn't made with the things in mind, which are important to run a low latency audio system on it. Still waiting for the moment when normal desktop OS's will hit the tablets and phones. It surely will happen at some point, when the hardware compatibility is there, and touch screens will be supported well.

miden wrote:okay whatever floats your boat :)

ciao
I am not interested in semantics and floating boats. Thread is interesting. Can anyone (miden you for example) post some specs on ipad 4/5 and which device can compare to it on Android. Please.

And please people don't make this thread another Apple or Android hate thread.

I am really curious why is there less advanced apps on android. I am guessing it doesn't have anything with the spec of devices at all. Likely it has something with the various programming standards, and SDK yes?

kmonkey wrote: I am really curious why is there less advanced apps on android. I am guessing it doesn't have anything with the spec of devices at all. Likely it has something with the various programming standards, and SDK yes?
ZPK answered that question already, look back thru the thread.

kmonkey wrote: I am not interested in semantics and floating boats. Thread is interesting. Can anyone (miden you for example) post some specs on ipad 4/5 and which device can compare to it on Android. Please.
Google Nexus has higher specs than both of these.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexus_10#H ... and_design

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad#Model_comparison

Really, Apple has always been lower spec'd @ higher price. But hardware wise, Apple should be better. The displays are always top notch for example.

Edit: Here's another comparison: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison ... id_and_iOS

It's not about specs but we're so used to reading clock speeds, number of cores and GB of RAM that we forget about the software side. All mobile devices from the last 3 years have more than enough power to run amazing multimedia apps.

So why isn't that happening on Android + Windows tables?

It's simple: (as I said earlier) the OS services required by developers to easily create these apps are simply not available in any other mobile operating system except iOS.

But of course 4-core 2.6 GHz smokes lame iPad is what we see published in the media, and it's how Samsung and others try to appeal to users.

Notice how Apple don't do much advertising based around specs? It's not because the specs are poor compared to Android - it's because they know it doesn't matter, the available apps are what make or break the device now.

The other companies in the tablet race still don't seem to get it - Apple have been providing these multimedia functions for years, ported over from OS X (and no doubt OS 9 before that). It's mature, stable, and "Just Works".

The other guys have a lot of catching up to do in that regard.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

ZenPunkHippy wrote: Notice how Apple don't do much advertising based around specs? It's not because the specs are poor compared to Android - it's because they know it doesn't matter, the available apps are what make or break the device now.
Actually i DO believe, they don't advertise with it, because the specs are poor compared to other, cheaper, Android devices. For Apple, advertising with their name is enough. Pretty sure that iOS doesn't take as much ressources as Android does though, btw. Android always seems a bit notchy compared. So, as you said, even with lower specs, it still will be well enough to run even more demanding tasks. And you're also right saying, that the hardware will well be enough for most stuff you do, and the specs are mostly for showing off/marketing reasons. I mean, who needs a 2560px resolution on a 10" screen... your eye won't be able to sense a difference to a lower resolution.

I don't think that the makers of Android devices (or rather Google as the maker of the OS) don't get it, rather that they don't care. The number of people to whom audio latency makes a difference is just to small for them to care.
It's just sad for people like me who don't want to buy an Apple device as Apple devices don't work well with non-Apple devices.
Well, at least Android works okay for control apps...
You have no right to remain silent!
www.soundcloud/phunkberater

Thanks for your comments, ZPH, you point out the relevant things here. One of the things that has made Apple one of the biggest companies is that they've understood that most consumers don't really care about technical specs... they want things that work and that offer elegant solutions that don't get in the way of your productivity.

I still have this nagging thought in my mind, though... even if I had decided to get an iPad, would I have found all these great apps really useful? I mean, can you make some serious music with them, or are they just playthings in the end? I'll always compare my tablet with my desktop DAW, and if I'm continually frustrated by the limitations, wouldn't I be better off playing Minecraft or Angry Winged Vertebrates instead?

The success of iOS devices drove the app market. The success of the app market drives the sales of iOS devices. Whether or not they're best in class, or the most powerful, or the most useful... matters not one bit.
11, 418th in line to the KVR throne

ariston wrote: I still have this nagging thought in my mind, though... even if I had decided to get an iPad, would I have found all these great apps really useful? I mean, can you make some serious music with them, or are they just playthings in the end? I'll always compare my tablet with my desktop DAW, and if I'm continually frustrated by the limitations, wouldn't I be better off playing Minecraft or Angry Winged Vertebrates instead?
Yes, this is the "second level" (and even more important)
of the discourse: how useful the tablet interface in music
production really is/will be? I believe it will have its role, but e.g. for keyboard instruments we have to re-invent the way keys are controlled - the size of the tablet compared to human hand size is one challenge, the flat
and numb tablet surface is an other. No doubt that
developers will find solutions to these interface
challenges.

The next big innovation - how the hand gestures controll the
whole range of (piano) keyboards? Camel Audio, I think, has
already taken the first steps with the mobile Alchemy,
see e.g. the velocity gesture and flexible keyboard.

Then, in general, the INTEGRATION (how well/how user friendly) of different terminals/system parts determines how useful in "serious" music making the tablets really will be. And - there are always also place for "playing" with the things, the level of "seriousness" may vary, we also need "travel apps" etc. H.
Last edited by Harry_HH on Sun Dec 22, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”