CES News: Introducing iRing™

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

CES News: Introducing iRing™

The first motion controller for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch music apps and more

Today at this year's 2014 International CES being held in Las Vegas, IK proudly announced the iRing™, the first motion-tracking controller for iOS music apps and more. Now musicians, gamers, and more can trigger sounds and control effects and other parameters of their favorite apps, in real time, using hand position, freeing them from touching the screen!

iRing utilizes a wearable ring with identifiable markers, the mobile device’s front-facing camera, and advanced computer vision with highly-optimized recognition algorithms built-in to an app, to determine the precise positioning of the ring markers. The device camera picks up the positioning of the ring patterns and the apps convert that information into music commands for dedicated app or MIDI information, which any compatible music app can read. This means that a user can now operate up to six controllable music parameters in their preferred music apps with one or two hands gestures.

iRing includes two identical double-sided ring controllers, plus two free apps for music applications, which target everyone from music lovers to DJs to seasoned musicians: iRing Music Maker and iRing FX/Controller.

Check out the iRing and the included apps in action in this overview video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4YTODlyB9g

iRing™ technology can easily be utilized beyond music apps, so we encourage game, health & fitness, utility and other app developers to contact us to take advantage of the technology and improve the functionality and control of apps with iRing™. Check out iRing controlling this classic video game!:

For music app developers, we have an sdk@ikmultimedia.com available upon request for developers who want to take advantage of this breakthrough technology to integrate motion control into their apps.

iRing features:
  • Ring controller, in tandem with either of two included apps featuring advanced motion-tracking technology, allows remote control of iOS app and app parameters using hand gestures
  • Great for musicians and non-musicians alike
  • Includes two identical, two-pattern reversible rings, allowing for numerous control combinations and the control up to 6 effect parameters simultaneously with two hands
  • Rings are unique looking, light, comfortable and provide a universal fit
  • Included iRing Music Maker app allows novices to make music using hand gestures
  • Included iRing FX/Controller app lets musicians and DJs create custom MIDI control setups, plus add and control audio effects when used together with other music apps via Inter-App Audio or Audiobus
Pricing & Availability

iRing will cost $24.99/€19.99 (exc. taxes), and will be available in Q1 2014 in three colors (white, green and silver) at music and electronics retailers worldwide. Pre-orders are already available on the IK Multimedia online store and selected stores. iRing FX/Controller and iRing Music Maker apps will be available as free downloads from the App StoreSM.

To learn more about iRing click here

To Pre-order the iRing from the IK Store click here

To try out iRing for yourself in person, see details for CES and NAMM shows here

More Resources:

So what is to prevent me from drawing three dots on a piece of plastic and saving the $25? Is there some tech involved?

I thought this was an RFID style device until I read the description. Line of sight seems a little problematic, but of course I have not tried this particular version of visual recognition.

This does sound exciting since there's so many creative people out there. Who knows where it will land...
"All generalizations are false".
"Don't quantize me bro"!

This is an interesting product.

I would be more interested in ten rings to fit on the end of the finger to transmit midi velocity to the iPad or other tablets or even Windows touch screen. Make a case/device for the rings so that all ten fingers can be fitted simultaneously.

martygras wrote:So what is to prevent me from drawing three dots on a piece of plastic and saving the $25? Is there some tech involved?

I thought this was an RFID style device until I read the description. Line of sight seems a little problematic, but of course I have not tried this particular version of visual recognition.

This does sound exciting since there's so many creative people out there. Who knows where it will land...
DIY is always an option, but this is ready to go out of the box. Its Italian made, solid, road worthy ring that won't tear or rip like some DIY versions might. Plus at $25 its cheap enough to not really worry about it. Also, if you draw the dots off a bit, it won't track as accurately as with the real iRing.
No longer with IK. Here is my Website | Twitter | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram

It's not "the first motion controller" for iOS.
http://www.origamidi.com Has been out for at least a couple of months.

Damn, we're going to have to make all of those ring jokes all over a gain with a new thread! :x

:hihi:

Those were great times when some people were singing & playing with a guitar on the Italian beaches. Nowadays everyone only plays with his i-phone and i-rings, surrounded by some i-girls with i-phones and i-friends.

Tricky-Loops wrote:Those were great times when some people were singing & playing with a guitar on the Italian beaches. Nowadays everyone only plays with his i-phone and i-rings, surrounded by some i-girls with i-phones and i-friends.
You play with your iRing on public beaches? :o

id like it to be clear, i am in no way dismissive of the idea, in fact i like it.
its just the name is a little errrr...

vurt wrote:id like it to be clear, i am in no way dismissive of the idea, in fact i like it.
its just the name is a little errrr...
...not well thought through...? :hihi:

thats one way of putting it
but who knows, maybe they are trying to break into the sex industry, lotta big money to be made there!!

Like the word "ring" isn't used ANYWHERE else... Doesn't seem to be an issue for thousands of CES visitors so I think we may be a bit of the dirty minds club here and I openly admit I'm too quick to associate that sort of thing too, don't get me wrong.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:Like the word "ring" isn't used ANYWHERE else... Doesn't seem to be an issue for thousands of CES visitors so I think we may be a bit of the dirty minds club here and I openly admit I'm too quick to associate that sort of thing too, don't get me wrong.

yeah im a pervert :-)
openly admit it, as i said though peter i think it is a great idea and i wish you well with the product
were just having a bit of fun with you, no foul intended :)

Kiss the ring. Kiss the ring.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”