iOS 7.1.1 is live

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just got my iPad Air a few weeks ago- so what's the deal with iOS updates- wait and see?

The rule I follow is

Security patches - upgrade as soon as the dust settles

Bugfixes and new features - wait a while

I made the mistake of upgrading to ios7 last year and it rendered my iPhone 4 useless for 5 months. :x

Live and learn.

Depends on the model I'd say. Had the same experience as @asnor though. An iPhone4 is pretty old in terms of development and ios7 installed on it is like dragging a horse through mud.

Then again, an iPad Air is pretty recent so updates are 99% of the time an actual improvement. Unlike Windows for e.g. Apple usually doesn't need to patch earlier mistakes.
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

I don't trust updates from Apple, OS X or iOS, and never update immediately. Over the past several years, it seems every other f'ing one breaks wifi on whatever device I have at the time.

I loathe their wifi driver coders -_-
Meh.

Unlike Windows for e.g. Apple usually doesn't need to patch earlier mistakes.
Indeed, but that's largely because they don't really care about leaving their mistakes on show. I think Apple's complacency regarding security will likely turn around and bite them in the arse sooner rather than later. Particularly their nasty habit of 0-daying one platform with the other by delaying patches (iOS 7.1.1 fixes vulnerabilities that were patched out of OSX 3 weeks prior, as just one example).

I'm using 7.1.1 here and all seems fine. The recent 7.1 update seemed to noticeably improve keyboard response on my iPad 3 in heavy load situations.

It seems to me that the iPad/iPhone notifies you when it's a good time to update. The only time an iOS update gave me trouble was when I did a manual update as soon as I'd heard about it. Since then, I've always waited till my device notified me and been problem-free.

Uncle E wrote:The only time an iOS update gave me trouble was when I did a manual update as soon as I'd heard about it.
I will say I almost always have trouble during the updateproces. Whether I do this over wifi or through iTunes (windows PC). I always suspected Apple to pay less attention to windows compatibilty or development.

I know it sounds kinda paranoia but friends who use iPhone/iPad <-> Macbook never seem to suffer from the hickups I encounter.
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

asnor wrote:I made the mistake of upgrading to ios7 last year and it rendered my iPhone 4 useless for 5 months. :x

Live and learn.
What happened after 5 months?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

asnor wrote:I made the mistake of upgrading to ios7 last year and it rendered my iPhone 4 useless for 5 months. :x

Live and learn.
Yeah. The same here.

But when it comes to Apple, I would say all .x updates are pretty safe to install. The new versions x. = always wait.

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Jace-BeOS wrote:

Live and learn.
What happened after 5 months?
They released a fix for the iphone 4 performance issues.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”