Recommend Good Sounding Headphones for 100-150$ range

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have no knowledge where to start or what sounds good and no nearby stores that i can demo so am willing to buy based on recommendations and see where that gets me. If possible I am looking for really good sounding headphones, not necessarily flat freqeuncy response for mastering etc like a good pair of monitors like krk
more like the headphone equivalent to a good hifi stereo system if that makes sense. Of course headphones for mixing would be considered if recommoned highly though.
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Mon Jun 09, 2014 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

Oh goody, another headphone thread.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

I have MANY headphones (including some hi-end electrostatic Stax earspeakers), but I've nothing against a few models within your budget. I would highly recommend you get either Sony MDR-7506 or Audio Technica ATH M50. Both are closed back, foldable, portable and sound great. Sony has more accurate mids, Audio Technica has more extended bass. I have done a lot of work on the Sonys, they translate to studio monitors and film dubbing stages (I work in audio postproduction) real well.

Hope this helps.

Have a good day!

Audio Technica ATH-M50x <--you won't regret it! :-)
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Thanks for the replies so far, will read up on some further reviews of those headphones but off hand how durable are those two? I have a habit of breaking them at the ear joints if there are made from flimsy plastic, if any case just need to be sure there is a warranty whatever i buy. :-)
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

+1 for the ATH M50x by Audio Technica - it replaced my EDIT : beyerdynamic DT770 pro and it's a huge improvement! although a little bit above your price range. but worth its money for sure!
Last edited by dermichl on Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dermichl wrote:+1 for the ATH M50x by Audio Technica - it replaced my Sennheiser DT770 pro and it's a huge improvement! although a little bit above your price range. but worth its money for sure!
770's are not by Sennheiser though :shrug:

Mushy Mushy wrote:
dermichl wrote:+1 for the ATH M50x by Audio Technica - it replaced my Sennheiser DT770 pro and it's a huge improvement! although a little bit above your price range. but worth its money for sure!
gosh, you're right - fixed that in my post :dog: :dog: :dog:

dermichl wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:
gosh, you're right - fixed that in my post :dog: :dog: :dog:
8)

I was a bit confused there :)

DT 880 Pros. Save another 50 and buy them on Amazon. They frequently drop below 200.

Even if it cost a little more I would be willing to splurge if they are that much better,, so you'd say the DT 880 Pros are better than the Sony's mentioned and the audio technica.. Again are these meant to sound good or sound flat for mixing purposes which usually don't sound as good as they can, ie the difference between an hifi system and studio monitors?? Thanks again for the replies, Im working on a track now and I'm really feeling the need to mix with some good headphones... Peace~ Tim

TTU Youtube

audientronic wrote:DT 880 Pros. Save another 50 and buy them on Amazon. They frequently drop below 200.
i found them on ebay for 189 and some other places for 379? Whats going on here? :lol:

TTU Youtube

SM57 knockoffs get sold on ebay all the time... just be careful with buying mics online.

arkmabat wrote:SM57 knockoffs get sold on ebay all the time... just be careful with buying mics online.
The SM57 are some lovely headphones. :tu:

OT :

Reading your requirements, I would recommend the Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro. They sound a bit hifi, but are relatively good for mixing, too. If you have the dinero the DT 880 Pro would be even better.

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”