Chord Preview Using VST in Studio One

Official support for: musicdevelopments.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm using RC in Studio One and can only get chord preview to work with the soundfonts.
My vst (Addictive Keys) is playing RC composition and phrases fine but when I set Preview to VST Midi Out, I get no sound. I'm matching all the various midi channels to the same one.

On a side note, the latest beta is not showing up inside vstplugins even after refreshing list in Studio One. My beta has beta in the dll name which makes it unique. Any thoughts on how I can get it to show up in the list?

Is Studio One one of those that have to have the tracked armed to be able to monitor it?

I use RC as stand alone only so can't be of much help with VST problems; however, I am quite sure it is something simple being overlooked.

I use S1 occassionally and have run into the monitor problem before. Re-check your routing; I'll bet that's where the problem is.

As for the beta naming issue; I checked my version and it does not show "beta" in the .dll naming so I have no idea why yours is. Did you rename the .dll to "beta" to be able to track it somehow?

My guess it's not showing up if you are running S1 x64 and have an x32 beta .dll in your VST folder. S1 is not one of those DAW's to allow use of x32 VSTs in x64 program. You have to run the corresponding VST only.

Try replacing the .dll with the one you know is the x64 version and then re-scan.

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

There's a monitor button which is activated. RC is working fine monitor-wise except for chord preview so far.
I renamed beta dll so I could distinguish it between release version dll. Only release version shows up.
Yes, I have been using S1 for awhile so am aware of the 32/64 bit vst considerations.
Thanks for feedback and trying to help with the issue.
I can just use soundfonts for chord preview until I figure out what's going on (unless it's a bug).

I tested my standalone version and it is sending my phrase previews to the corresponding VST instrument; albeit, at the chord structure shown in the phrase properties panel.

For example, I have a C#m chord, shown in the phrase properties as C#4, E4, G#4, whereas, on my timeline I have it set at G#5, C#6, E6.

If I play "preview" the chord does not sound as it is below the range in my Kontakt instrument. If I play the chord in the timeline, it works fine.

Perhaps this is the case with the instrument you have RC routed to. :shrug:

To insure preview works, I chose another K5 instrument and tested. Preview sounded as it should using the VST.

Another possibility; on the "Setting" tab, have you set tab "Preview" to use the correct instrument? Default is to use the soundfonts. You may need to set it to "GeneralMIDI".

Many devs advise against the renaming of VST .dll's as there is the risk the program may not follow the set of instructions.

Studio One is likely not recognizing the beta .dll as it has already scanned a similar plug-in, the release version of RC.

You may try removing the release version from your scanned directory, rescan to be sure it is no longer in S1's list, then put in the beta .dll and rescan.

HTH

Happy Musiking!
dsan
My DAW System:
W7, i5, x64, 8Gb Ram, Edirol FA-101

Thanks for testing and for additional tips. I'm using beta in stand-alone now and might remove release version from vstplugins for testing beta dll later. The chord preview thing is not a big deal since I can still preview chords. If I figure out what I need to do to get it working, I'll post back what I did.

Return to “MusicDevelopments”