Sonigen Announces Sonigen Modular beta.

Official support for: sonigen.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Sonigen Modular is a modular software synthesizer which offers you the freedom and flexibility of classic modular synthesis with high quality sound and efficient cpu usage.

Features:

Fully modular, you can add as many modules and patch cables as you want.

A fast and intuitive user interface. Layout is mostly automatic, cables indicate signal flow, and our (unique as far as I know) dynamic input handling reduces the need for extra mixer modules, and also reduces screen wastage from unused input terminals / knobs.

Modular voice and modular output effect processing both cleanly integrated in one window.

Everything is processed at full sample rate so there is no need to differentiate between audio signals and control signals. This makes it easier to use and also more flexible.

Just in time (JIT) assembly. Not only is the audio engine written entirely in assembler, but it is also dynamically assembled at runtime. This enables a whole class of optimizations that are otherwise impossible with pre-compiled binaries.

Ok that said, this is a beta release, it's main prupose is to get user feedback. It's a stand alone ASIO verion at the moment, a VSTi plugin version will be along in due time.

But it is fully functional with no timeouts or limitations.

What I want is feedback, so let me know what you think.

Download is here...

http://www.sonigen.com/

Feature or improvment sugestions are welcome but be aware most of the obvious ones are already on the list, arpegiator, FM, more effects, sample playback, etc...

Chris Jones
Sonigen.
Last edited by sonigen on Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I might wait to try this when you have a vsti compiled because I have no midi keyboard but I would like to say that I think the GUI is fantastic as it is, and your layout looks very comfortable also.

[edit] I just thought of something: give the wires a pipe cleaner mode, like a button you could press to let you nudge, stretch and manipulate the wires into whatever visual position you want, so they can be curved around displays and controls.
A guy walks into a laundry run by cats. "Excuse me", he said to the cat in charge, "Can you get milk stains out?" "Sure," replied the cat. "We'll have that stain licked in a minute!"

If you hold down the ALT key you can edit the path of the wires.
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

Hmm, this seems interesting. I'll definitely give it a go and let you know what I think ;)

EDIT: first suggestion straight off the bat. Give the installer a name... not just "installer.exe" :lol:
Eternitysound VST Banks

GeorgeZ wrote:Hmm, this seems interesting. I'll definitely give it a go and let you know what I think ;)

EDIT: first suggestion straight off the bat. Give the installer a name... not just "installer.exe" :lol:
Ok good sugestion. :)

I'm working on the VSTi version atm, which produces sound but doesnt save/load/report patches yet.

Any more comments or sugestions are more than welcome.

thanks,
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

Looks nice and reminds me somewhat of the Nord Modular G2 editor which is a good thing in my book. Unfortunately, I'm not getting any sound output. The output meter is showing activity, but it's not feeding through to the sound card for some reason. I have a Terratec EWX 24/96 card on vista, q6600 quad core.

Mart.
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

I didn't get sound either. Just some slow cpu activity.
This one may be beyond my limited understanding anyway.
I think I might need a few presets to get an idea of how to route things.

Musical Gym wrote:I didn't get sound either. Just some slow cpu activity.
This one may be beyond my limited understanding anyway.
I think I might need a few presets to get an idea of how to route things.
Under Menu/Open there are some patches available in the "documents/sonigen modular data/patches" folder. Nothing works for me though, regarding sound output...
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

You can change patches with the Left/Right arrow buttons either side of the main patch name box.

I should really set it to load a patch on startup. And add tooltips to the buttons.

I'll investigate the no sound issue, it's most likely an ASIO sample format that isnt being correctly supported.
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

sonigen wrote: I'll investigate the no sound issue, it's most likely an ASIO sample format that isnt being correctly supported.
Thanks - I'm keen to try it out
γνῶθι σαὐτόν

I've fixed the missing sample formats and i think it should work now. If it doesnt work could you email me the file...

"My Documents/Sonigen Modular Data/ErrorLog.txt"

thanks,

chris
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

Something that i can't quite put my finger on is a bit weird. I initially could not get any sound out of it despite having made all the right connections. The voice count kept going higher and nothing happened. I know for a fact i did all the right connections because when i later found the presets they were connected the same. Amp->Voice mixer->Output.

Anyways once i found the presets everything worked fine,sounds excellent and really low on the CPU.

I must applaud the effort because JIT Assembly is so geek i can hardly fathom it.

jupiter8 wrote:The voice count kept going higher and nothing happened. I know for a fact i did all the right connections because when i later found the presets they were connected the same. Amp->Voice mixer->Output.
Hmmm, that should work. Only thing I can think of is that if you connected somthing to either of the level modulation inputs on the amplifier you need to turn up the modulation amount. With nothing connected the signal is passed through unattenuated. But as soon as you connect a modulation input, they control the signal level, so if the modulation amount is zero you will hear nothing.

It maybe i need to default the modulation amount to 100% on some initial connections.
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

Upon further inspection i think we can write this up as a PEBCAK.
It could also be a ID-10T problem,there's always that.

Looks really nice! :)
I'll try it later today!
kingtubby wrote:I have a Terratec EWX 24/96 card...
Wow. I'm not the only one who still uses this old card :hihi:

Cheers
Dennis

Return to “Sonigen”