New beta version ready for download.

Official support for: sonigen.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

http://www.sonigen.com

Since some things have been depreciated there may be slight changes in the sound of some patches. I've spent a great deal of time writing code to translate old features into new but there are limits to what I can do.

The AutoParam and MIDICC controller widgets couldn't be translated unfortunately.

I apologize for any inconvenience it may cause.

GUI improvments.

Cables can still be dragged to change their shape but they can now be toggled then between straight or curved shape by double clicking on them.

You can toggle all the cables at the same time with the cable tidy button on the main toolbar.

Module input panels are now automatically arranged but you can drag them to change the ordering.

These features make the basic layout and cabling a great deal cleaner and tidier than it was before.

Controllers and modifiers have been depreciated in favour of dedicated modules. Overall this makes the user interface more consistent and more WYSIWYG. No more fiddly little popups with hidden features.

Automation.

Most controls can now be directly automated via VST or MIDI controllers.

To link a control to VST or MIDI you double click the right mouse button and select what you want to link to from the popup menu. If you link it to a VST parameter then it will also transmit to the VST host when you move the control with the mouse.

To see a global overview of what controls are linked to what automation you click the "Auto" button on the toolbar. Any controls that can be automated will display an overlay showing either "--" if they are not connected, or V0..V19 if they are connected to a VST parameter, or 0..119 if they are connected to a MIDI controller.

changes to some modules...

Master Module.

Velocity glide has been removed from the master module since it is now part of the dedicated Velocity module.

Portamento mode has been changed so it either "all notes" or "mono legato". The retrigger mode has been depreciated.

Supersaw Module.

The detune keytracking editor has been nerfed into a simple keytrack parameter which allows you to reduces the detune on higher notes.

For the technically minded, 0% = even pitch detune across the keybaord, 100% = even frequency detune across the keyboard.

LFO Module.

The glide parameter has been replaced with slew rate. But whereas the glide didnt follow pitch if it was modulated the slew rate does.

The LFO modes have been expanded into bpm sync on/off and global on/off. So it now does global with BPM sync.

The global mode has changed. Each voice now has it's own LFO even in global mode, they are just globally synced at note on. So you can now do pitch and phase modulation with in global mode. Although depending on what you use as modulation they may not stay global synced.

Dedicated modules to replace Controllers and Modifiers.

These modules operate either as a control signal or as a means to modify a signal passing through. They are limited to one input signal at a time.

The Modwheel, UnisonSpread, Keytrack and Aftertouch modules give you dedicated modules for accessing those controllers. You can set custom range / mapping for each one.

The Velocity module has an improved response curve, velocity glide, and a legato mode.

Graphcial keymap module, you can graphcialy design a custom mapping across the MIDI keyboard. Double click to add a node, right click to delete. The green vertical line shows the last midi note played.

Unison module, allows you to set a custom value for each voice in a unsion set.

NoteRandom which gives you random values at note on. This module alows you to control how chaotic the random values are. You can glide from one value to the next. And there are 3 trigger modes. Voice mode generates a new random value for each voice. Unison mode generates a new random value for each unison set. Chord mode generates a new value for each chord.
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

Awesome updates!

NoteRandom could have a note-off variant, as well, perhaps?

The keymap module could benefit from means of zooming into it (or simply displaying the curve at a greater size) for more precise editing. Creating Bezier curves between two nodes would also be very nice, as well as a stepped mode where we could set a value for each of 128 available steps individually. :)

Purely cosmetic - the Modular standalone EXE file doesn't have any icon, it uses a generic OS icon which doesn't really look as cool as the new GUI in Modular! ;)

Also cosmetic - having more than 3 groups/colors would be really cool and OCDish! :D

Great news!

funny thing was that I must have visited sonigen.com just 15 minutes before this update because I got an itch that there might be an update.. Not a believer in telepathy, but neverthheless...

can't wait to try out the new features!

Really looking forward to getting my hands dirty with this cos i've tried an earlier version. Not extensively , but i've been meaning to get back to it , so , this is great timing. It looks awesome , and the updates sound brilliant , especially the new automation capabilities. I loved how the oscillators sounded in the version I had.....real quality rich sound to 'em , so thank you. I've barely downloaded it , but i know this is gonna find a very prominent slot in my vst synth list.

Great news! :)
I think a dedicated midi cc module would be helpful, not only modwheel and aftertouch. I think about use with hardware midi-controller with some fine-tune ranges on the knobs. With current automation system amount of control can't be adjusted, so for my midi keyboard knobs i have only 2 adjustable channels - modwhel and aftertouch...
And i have idea of making adjustable control curve (like in velocity module), not only "min" and "max" parameters. For example, for more precise detune control in the start position of hardware midi controller knob, and about 20% of detune in the middle position, instead of 50%, with exponential curve like in JP-8000, instead of linear with "min" and "max" params. And midi learn button would be helpful too, when adjusting external midi controller.
Last edited by SoulState on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

^^^ seconded. Having a general MIDI CC module (that would feature aftertouch AND pitch bend, too) would be awesome and much more flexible!

Unison detune modulation input for master module is needed... I want to modulate it with lfo of adsr. I tried to use unison controller trough amp with lfo to impliment this. This works, but too complicated for this simple thing, and everytime it needs to set all 5 unison detune values... Maybe there is a simplier way existing? If no, then would be great to have presets feature for unison detune controller... And i want to know what are the default detune values for unison on master? Master detune works great, but i can't achieve exactly the same result with unison controller module...(

SoulState wrote:Great news! :)
I think a dedicated midi cc module would be helpful, not only modwheel and aftertouch.
You can use a Constant, just assign a MIDI CC to the fader and you can wire that into another module.
I tried to use unison controller trough amp with lfo to impliment this.
Use the UnisonSpread module, that automatically takes into account the number of voices and spreads the control value out evenly across the range. So 3 voices would give you -1, 0, +1 for each voice. With the min/max set to -1..+1.
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

sonigen wrote:
SoulState wrote:Great news! :)
I think a dedicated midi cc module would be helpful, not only modwheel and aftertouch.
You can use a Constant, just assign a MIDI CC to the fader and you can wire that into another module.
The point was to be able to edit the curvature like you can do it with velocity module.

In fact, I think it would be very cool if we could have the power of the Keymap module for all the CCs and velocity too - so we can draw our own curve for any modulator.

See modulation shapers in Kontakt, for example:

EvilDragon wrote: In fact, I think it would be very cool if we could have the power of the Keymap module for all the CCs and velocity too - so we can draw our own curve for any modulator.
I've added it to the ideas list.
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

Note that I believe it would be best in that case to merge all CCs with the velocity and aftertouch modules - so basically you get a menu selecting the controller you want, and off you go.

EvilDragon wrote:Note that I believe it would be best in that case to merge all CCs with the velocity and aftertouch modules - so basically you get a menu selecting the controller you want, and off you go.
I did try that originally but I didn't like the fact that the module name then doesn't reflect what controller it is. So it shows up as "Controller3" in the source menu. Sure it can be renamed, but people are lazy, and are they gonna rename it every time they change the controller?

Velocity is too much different from general controllers to merge with them anyway, glide and legato mode make no sense for general controllers imo. And I don't like having controls that sometimes do something and sometimes don't, depending on other settings.
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

New color scheme(copy paste in the .ini file)

//////////////////////////////

TextBoxColor = 0xFF909090
DefaultFontColor = 0xFFd0d0d0
DefaultFontColor = 0xFF000000

ButtonFontColor = 0xFF000000
ButtonColor1 = 0x90acacab
ButtonColor2 = 0x90898989
ToggleColor1 = 0xE068d8fc
ToggleColor2 = 0xE08ee1fc

ToolTipColor = 0xFF000000
ToolTipFontColor = 0xFFfff200

MenuColor = 0xFFC8C8C8
MenuFontColor = 0xFF000000
MenuOverColor = 0xFFacacab

ScrollBarColor1 = 0xFFacacab
ScrollBarColor2 = 0xFFacacab
ScrollTrackColor1 = 0xFF707880
ScrollTrackColor2 = 0xFF505050

ListBoxColor = 0xFF388db4
ListBoxFontColor = 0xFF000000

ModuleColor1 = 0xFF666666
ModuleColor2 = 0xFF666666

EffectColor1 = 0xFF444444
EffectColor2 = 0xFF444444

CableColor1 = 0xFF388db4
//CableColor1 = 0xFF111111
//CableColor1 = 0xFF222222
//CableColor1 = 0xFF333333
//CableColor1 = 0xFF444444
CableColor2 = 0xFF388db4
//CableColor2 = 0xFF111111
//CableColor2 = 0xFF222222
CableColor3 = 0xFF388db4
//CableColor3 = 0xFF333333
//CableColor3 = 0xFF444444
CableNodeColor = 0xFF388db4

TitleFont = Arial Bold
TitleFontColor = 0xFFdcdcdc

I should have fixed that file before i released but I forgot, half of it is redundant now... the only lines that still do anything are...

DefaultFontColor = 0xFFd0d0d0

ModuleColor1 = 0xFF666666
ModuleColor2 = 0xFF666666

EffectColor1 = 0xFF444444
EffectColor2 = 0xFF444444

CableColor1 = 0xFF388db4
CableColor2 = 0xFF388db4
CableColor3 = 0xFF388db4

TitleFont = Arial Bold
TitleFontColor = 0xFFdcdcdc

The others colors are in text files inside the sub directories.
Chris Jones
www.sonigen.com

sonigen wrote:
EvilDragon wrote:Note that I believe it would be best in that case to merge all CCs with the velocity and aftertouch modules - so basically you get a menu selecting the controller you want, and off you go.
I did try that originally but I didn't like the fact that the module name then doesn't reflect what controller it is. So it shows up as "Controller3" in the source menu. Sure it can be renamed, but people are lazy, and are they gonna rename it every time they change the controller?
So having a default name like "Controller Box", then have the module auto-rename depending on which controller is selected?

Return to “Sonigen”