Zen 32bit on 64bit system

Official support for: bigtickaudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm using the 32bit version of zen on 64bit Reaper (Windows 7 64bit).

Having more than one instance of zen gives the "More than one instance of Zen is running... " error message and the additional zen instances fail to work. Usually this crashes the Reaper's bridge host instance.

I only want to use 32bit plugins with zen.

My question: is anyone able to run more than one instance of 32bit zen on a 64bit Windows? On any DAW.

The error makes sense - the bridge host runs Zen in a different process, hence the error message.
Why don't you just run the 64bit version of Zen ?

'Tick

Most of the plugins I want to use are 32bit and the 64bit Zen doesn't want to load them.

Is it necessary to prevent multiple instances of Zen running simultaneously?

It is a side-effect of the various instances trying to write into the same log file. At the moment there is no way around it, I'm afraid.

I'm assuming that 64-bit Zen cannot host 32-bit plugins?

What would be a good work around for using 32 bit plugins in a 64 bit Windows with Reaper and Zen?

Would it be reasonable to do something like insert the 64-bit Zen in Reaper, and then use something like jbridge to wrap the 32-bit plugin inside of Zen?

(I'm using Automap as well, so the scenario would actually be: 32-bit Plugin within 32-bit Automap wrapper within JBridge within 64-bit Zen within Reaper - yikes!)

Also, is Zen still in active development? I've been following it for awhile, but only starting to actually use it. It really seems like a fantastic idea, and I really would love for it to work with my setup.

Yes you could load jbridge'd versions of 32bits plugins in Zen. This would work, but is it worth the risk of additional instabilities caused by one more layer in the system ? 32 bits is on its way out. I wouldn't be surprised if most major manufacturers dropped 32bits versions within the next year.

Regarding your last question - Indeed a Zen update is long overdue. I have literally hundreds of enhancements piled up, I just need to find some time to package everything and test. I am also wondering whether to remove the online part.

By the way, the Arsenal software that is bundled with M-Audio's Trigger Finger Pro, is a fork of the Zen code base and is a lot more stable. This is basically where all my time went for the past year :)

Big Tick wrote:Yes you could load jbridge'd versions of 32bits plugins in Zen. This would work, but is it worth the risk of additional instabilities caused by one more layer in the system ? 32 bits is on its way out. I wouldn't be surprised if most major manufacturers dropped 32bits versions within the next year.
I know - but there are some plugins I'm really attached to that will never get a 64-bit version: Pentagon, Triangle, FMHeaven, uh... TickyClav?
Big Tick wrote: Regarding your last question - Indeed a Zen update is long overdue. I have literally hundreds of enhancements piled up, I just need to find some time to package everything and test. I am also wondering whether to remove the online part.
Awesome - why remove the online part?
Big Tick wrote: By the way, the Arsenal software that is bundled with M-Audio's Trigger Finger Pro, is a fork of the Zen code base and is a lot more stable. This is basically where all my time went for the past year :)
I just saw the demo of this after it was referenced in another thread. Wow! Looks like a great product! Is the Arsenal database compatible with the Zen database?

Heh, ok, I got it... I'll get to Ticky64 one of these days, after I'm done with this pending Rhino update :)

About the online part, well, it's a lot of maintenance to keep that going, and I'm not sure it's used much.

The Arsenal product (as well as other new products coming up, that I can't talk too much about... yet...) uses pretty much the same database as Zen, but with tons of enhancements like setlists, more flexible control assignments, per-preset control assignments, ... so it would be somewhat simple to transfer a Zen database to Arsenal, but not so much the other way around.

Big Tick wrote:Heh, ok, I got it... I'll get to Ticky64 one of these days, after I'm done with this pending Rhino update :)
Excellent! :)
Big Tick wrote: The Arsenal product (as well as other new products coming up, that I can't talk too much about... yet...) uses pretty much the same database as Zen, but with tons of enhancements like setlists, more flexible control assignments, per-preset control assignments, ... so it would be somewhat simple to transfer a Zen database to Arsenal, but not so much the other way around.
Sounds very exciting - patch browsing has always been terrible in VST land, especially for live use. Forte works pretty well, but you really have to design your entire set in advance. I'd love to be jamming with people and be able to browse my patch library quickly and without using a mouse.

It's nice that preset browsing and organization is finally getting some attention in a way that is fairly open and interoperable.

The reason I asked about compatibility between Zen and Arsenal is that with proprietary tools and standards, there is always the risk for users that products get discontinued, and it's nice to know that there's a migration path. Kore comes to mind. And even Novation seems to be having second thoughts about Automap recently...

Of course, I hope that you have a very long and productive future with M-Audio, but companies do occasionally change focus...

That's very true. Contrary to Kore, though, the entire system is built on open formats. The Zen/Arsenal database is a basic sqlite database, so your presets / tags are not locked into a proprietary format.

By the way, Camelaudio also used Zen as the back-end for their browser in Alchemy.

Big Tick wrote:That's very true. Contrary to Kore, though, the entire system is built on open formats. The Zen/Arsenal database is a basic sqlite database, so your presets / tags are not locked into a proprietary format.
That's awesome!
Big Tick wrote:By the way, Camelaudio also used Zen as the back-end for their browser in Alchemy.
Very cool!

Return to “Big Tick”