bad news or a cool way to buy/build a boutiqish hi-gain amp?

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

250 dollars

+

Add a cascode preamp circuit for a new pallet of tones. Includes two dual triode tubes, all parts, and a right angle mounting plate punched for two 9 pin tubes so you can add more gain, a buffer, etc.

39 dollars

https://taweber.powweb.com/store/modkits.htm#Cascode

:shrug:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote:Image
Add a cascode preamp circuit for a new pallet of tones. Includes two dual triode tubes, all parts, and a right angle mounting plate punched for two 9 pin tubes so you can add more gain, a buffer, etc.
Dunno about this Jet City, but going by the Soldanos I've played over the years and the SP77 I owned for a long time I'd vote :-o arrrrrgh :-o .
Never had to turn up the lead gain above noon with humbuckers, for a fat hardrock lead sound, and for metal I'd much rather boost with a solid state stomp box to keep the low end tight, but wait for Dean's opinion about that.
These additional preamp stages are meant for relatively clean amps like Fenders imho, and I've never heard a really convincing result. :shrug:
Same for Soldano's own HotMod kit.
Ymmv, definitely,
susiwong

well of course this kit could be used with say a fender blues jr, it seems that could kinda old 'boogie'. I'm actually surprised at the kits at Ted Weber, I just noticed them...the amp kits look great and a fair price and there are many mod kits to including a master volume for only 8 dollars, tome stacks.

I looked over the 18watt head layout and I am quite confident that I could build it with ease, however setting the bias not something I know well enough to attempt it. If I did in future (would have to be a while) I would spend the money to send it out, have it checked over and biased before I tried it.

I may keep my eyes open for an old beat up Alamo or something and get some of these mod kits just to mess around. However lately Alamo's have seemed to go up, still sometimes you find one that needs work cheap :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

susiwong wrote:
Hink wrote:Image
Dunno about this Jet City, but going by the Soldanos I've played over the years and the SP77 I owned for a long time I'd vote :-o arrrrrgh :-o .
Never had to turn up the lead gain above noon with humbuckers, for a fat hardrock lead sound, and for metal I'd much rather boost with a solid state stomp box to keep the low end tight, but wait for Dean's opinion about that.
These additional preamp stages are meant for relatively clean amps like Fenders imho, and I've never heard a really convincing result. :shrug:
Same for Soldano's own HotMod kit.
Ymmv, definitely,
susiwong

was going through the forum when I stumbled on this old thread...susiwong is indeed right, I have had my Jet City 50 Watt head for a couple years or so and I never push my gain controls above 4...I also swapped out the tubes and put in Sovteks.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”