Question about DIY vocalbooth/reflection filter

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am planning on using a simple vocalbooth/screen and to that end I will use a folding roomdivider screen (3 sides) and some pyramid-shaped foam -which I could buy pretty cheap as a leftover from a studio.
I wil be using an Audio Technica AT-2020 cardioid mic mostly and maybe even pair up with 2 Behringer B5's for A/B-ing guitar simultaneously but I have to experiment if this will work.

Now I need to read up on theory but I have one question to which I found some contrary information.

When reading SOS articles a common method described is draping a corner of your room with blankets/foam etc. then positioning the mic towards the corner. In effect having the dead side of the mic towards the room.

Yet when I look at premade vocalscreens like the Devine RF30 (http://www.bax-shop.nl/microfoon-reflec ... ctiefilter) the dead side of the mic is positioned towards the screen.

So I´m wondering which option is the correct one? I could also make use of my window curtains depending on whether I should shield the back or front of the mic to even more 'mimic' a booth rather than a screen but that depends on the chosen option.
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

The "correct" version would be to build an isolation AROUND the singer and his mic.
Both other versions will only have a small effect ("better than nothing").
Using the room corner is the poorer idea, it will extremely increase bass frequencies, if other instruments are playing.
Anyway these vocal screens will increase lower frequencies and, in case of a band recording, shield only little from the band instruments. The thinner and lighter the foam, the more only mid and high mid frequencies are absorbed.
(Thats why covering the rehearsal room of a band all over with this "pyramid foam" is nonsense....)
ImageImage

Tnx! It does make me wonder why SOS (which I thought to be pretty knowledgeable) would advice as they do since one could just as easily turn the mic 180 degrees and position it between yourself and the wall.
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

Spiritos wrote:Tnx! It does make me wonder why SOS (which I thought to be pretty knowledgeable) would advice as they do since one could just as easily turn the mic 180 degrees and position it between yourself and the wall.
The "edge" version works if there is no other sound in the room (headphones). It won't work with a band....
ImageImage

WOK wrote:The "edge" version works if there is no other sound in the room (headphones). It won't work with a band....
Sorry but I don't understand the "edge" version :ud:
As for recording, this is simply for my homestudio (1 person) and I would indeed use closed headphones.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”