Building a home studio - need your input

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Im at the beginning stages of a home studio build. I'll use my existing equipment and don't plan on adding anything to it at the moment.

My dilemma is more on the choice of how the interior should look like - what color should I pick? I'm gojng to have new dry walls and ceiling put in. What would you suggest for color and lighting?

Any pics of your studio?

There's 240 pages of them in the 'Lets see some studio pics' thread... ;)

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7760
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Mine is orange ... it was orange when I moved in and I haven't re-decorated. I rather like it now.

Get lighting that doesn't generate a lot of heat and doesn't make a buzzing sound. LEDs should do the trick. Lighting from far above doesn't always give good legibility for gear, so consider small light sources specifically for these.

Colours are very personal, but using two different tones (light/dark) can liven things up and create different zones with different moods. Lighting, decoration and all the stuff you put in the room can do the same, though.

Re lighting: I was setting up my stuff the other day, and I bought myself a small and cheap gooseneck LED lamp. It's absolutely perfect for placing behind my HW synth so I can read the labels and see what I'm soing even when the lights are dimmed (which I personally prefer). If you're going to go with subdued lighting, you might want to think about similar solutions for those things that you actually need to be able to see properly to work with them. The gooseneck has the advantage that you can quickly turn the lamp to light up something else if you need to.

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”