Making sure others dont hear you from outside

...and how to do so...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How can I make sure neighbors and people outside my house don't hear me recording vocals or playing/producing music at a loud volume? What is required/needed? This isn't a question to cancel noise from outside but more so concerned with the inside of a small bedroom studio space.

Firstly, unfortunately you will not be able to get complete isolation unless you build a room within the room and fill the space in between the two rooms with acoustically graded insulation. But to help you should start by finding out how much space is in the room and how much space is available for acoustic baffles. Bass traps in the corners of the room always help with isolating bass frequency. Also look at your door. The heavier the door, the better isolation but thats not always an option so if you get weather seals around the side and a drop seal for the bottom this should also help. To do it "properly" it gets really complicated really fast but this should "start" to help. Heavier, thick, objects with a large mass are always good to absorb sound and eliminate unwanted vibrations.

Take your microphone and plug it into your recording desk on any channel. Turn on the phase reversal switch. Now, take the direct output of that channel and feed it to a second channel. Turn on the phase reversal switch of that channel as well. Take the direct output of the second channel and feed it to your DAW. Now, take a send off of the first channel and feed it to the input of a guitar amplifier. You must use a 1/4" cable from the send that's at least twice as long as your mic cable. Mount the amplifier on a mic stand and point it towards your head. Turn it up. Start singing.

The desk will reverse the phase of your voice twice allowing you to capture the correct in-phase sound. However, the out of phase signal feeding to the guitar amplifier will cancel your vocals causing the amplitude to be dramatically reduced. Of course, you still need to record, which is why you use a longer cable so that the cancelation signal is delayed a minute amount. Unfortunately, this delay will also prevent full cancelation, but, you can't have your cake and eat it too, now can you?

You can thank me now.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

^Tahnkx fo meaelteeeng meeee brraiennnnn,

Return to “DIY: Build it and they will come”