KVR Mobile / Wide / Responsive Design (+General) - Issue Tracker

Any problems with the site? How can we improve KVR?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Jace-BeOS wrote:I'm starting to see that hyperlinks in message posts are requiring two touches/taps to follow. This is again probably due to rollovers.
I'll look into that

Jace-BeOS wrote:The reply boxes are slightly too wide to fit in the screen space without scrolling horizontally. This makes it harder to read your own content before posting it.

EDIT: this happens because going into text edit mode zooms the text box. But it zooms too far.

iPhone 4. iOS 6.x.
Your phone zooms in when you focus the text box? I can't control that action as far as I know!

By default the text box should fit on the screen. Doesn't it?

Ben [KVR] wrote:
Jace-BeOS wrote:The reply boxes are slightly too wide to fit in the screen space without scrolling horizontally. This makes it harder to read your own content before posting it.

EDIT: this happens because going into text edit mode zooms the text box. But it zooms too far.

iPhone 4. iOS 6.x.
Your phone zooms in when you focus the text box? I can't control that action as far as I know!

By default the text box should fit on the screen. Doesn't it?
Yes it does zoom slightly. KVR isn't the only one that does it, but it's not every text box on every website that does. I think it's controllable by page code based on seeing it not happen elsewhere. The text box fits fine until in edit mode.

Check here:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2989 ... -on-iphone

http://www.ampedupdesigns.com/blog/show?bid=53

Thanks for checking our complaints :-)

As an aside, I would REALLY love if someone solved the sloppy as hell double-tap-drag highlighting in text edit fields that scroll... It's a problem pretty much everywhere, but some are worse than others. KVR multiline text boxes are big enough to make it tolerable.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Are the drop down menus meant to be closable? The behaviors are inconsistent, if so. How am I supposed to close them when opened unintentionally (like with a drag to scroll)?

Personally, I find it best to make these toggle (open/closed), not go to a URL if tapped/clicked again.

It's best to follow the GUI conventions in operating systems with such controls, where an equivalent controls exist, that way users can intuit the expected behavior and actions based on their existing GUI familiarity.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

In the old KvR forum whenever I was coming back, there was a differentiation between topics that had changed and those that hadn't since my last visit.

Now it seems it's only the topics I had visited that behave this way. I really wish I had the old way back.

I am using the Dark Blue theme stylish/UserJS so I am not sure this is a generic issue.

Btw, 1200px seems like a good default width on a current average desktop (1920px screen and 1500px browser).

Right now on Latest Posts page: doesnt fit to screen. I can only see up to 'Started B....'

Quote buttons are overlayed on avatars

The RSS button is on top of another selection

Kriminal wrote:Right now on Latest Posts page: doesnt fit to screen. I can only see up to 'Started B....'

+3

All the same issues as me.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Love the new format on mobile. The lack of a usable mobile view was a major annoyance for me as I do most of my reading during by commutes. No more pinching and scrolling around just to read. :D

Ben [KVR] wrote:As you've no doubt noticed the design of KVR has changed a bit this week. Essentially this is to move to a responsive layout that should support narrow screens (i.e. smartphones) from 320px wide up to a new default wider view on the desktop.

I've resolved many of the initial issues in the last couple of days so now I'm throwing this thread open to let you guys report any issues you find.

Please report any issues in this topic. It would be helpful to let me know what phone / device / browser and screen width you are using, along with a screenshot of the issue if possible. You can cut n paste info about you browser / device from http://www.kvraudio.com/browser.php

FYI 1: The right sidebar moves to the bottom of the screen, below the main content, on narrow screens. However, you can quickly access the "What's New at KVR" section via the "New @" button at the top of the screen when this happens.

FYI 2: The Wide Forum option has gone and been replaced by a new "Maximum Screen Width" setting that covers the whole of KVR. Instead of creating a fixed width you can now choose to set a max width for KVR (including choosing a narrower default if you find the new wideness too much). It's available at http://www.kvraudio.com/mykvr.php?m=prefs

FYI 2a: I'm considering making the default a bit narrower than it currently is, perhaps 1200px instead of the current 1344px.

Current Known Narrow Screen Issues
  • The Breadcrumb bar cuts off.
  • The MyKVR "Updates" Drop-Down is too wide and doesn't wrap or reposition content gracefully.
  • The "Register" page is not easy to use at 320px.
  • The "Latest Posts" page needs reformatting.
  • When posting a new topic the "Poll Creation" tab is too wide.
  • UCP Tabs wrap poorly.
  • The UCP is generally a bit squashed (incl. most PM pages).
  • The Search form needs reformatting.
  • Some Interview and Industry Focus pages don't look right
  • The Featured/Related/Random columns on the Video page need reformatting
  • The KVR Poll results page needs reformatting
  • Quoted text boxes too narrow (need to use % instead of px for margin)
Current Known Wide Screen Issues
  • The Product pages can look a bit odd - specifically the images to the left and the big expanse of space to their right.
Other General KVR Issues
  • Dark Theme for Forum
  • Latest Posts / Custom Forums should be opt out instead of opt in
  • Exclude posts from Foes in Latest Posts list
  • Forum Print View sucks (multi page / whole topic required)
Latest posts -button has disappeared - it shows once you log in but disappears again when pressed. And its not in the bottom section of the UI as above hinted.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Kriminal wrote:Right now on Latest Posts page: doesnt fit to screen. I can only see up to 'Started B....'

+3

All the same issues as me.
Same. Another reason to eliminate rollover method for buttons.

Scrolling the page makes them toggle on and off. Eollovers are inappropriate for touch devices and no control should ever be visible only on rollover (a constant argument I have against Apple's OS X Mail client, too). It defeats function discovery by reading the UI. One shouldn't have to "touch everything" to find functionality.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Harry_HH wrote:Latest posts -button has disappeared - it shows once you log in but disappears again when pressed. And its not in the bottom section of the UI as above hinted.
The "Latest Posts" text collapses to the Latest Posts icon on a narrow view (the yellow and green speech bubbles) - logged in or not. It shouldn't disappear.

If it's disappearing please post a screenshot and your browser / device info.

thanks

Right, I've set the text boxes to 16px. Does this stop the zooming?

The topic buttons (quote, edit, report, ...) now remain visible.

Does this help with the double tap issue for links?

The Related Products now only drop down on click rather than mouseover. Hopefully this will interfere less on touch devices.

Ben [KVR] wrote:Right, I've set the text boxes to 16px. Does this stop the zooming?
It would be if it weren't for thge Topic boxes on the far left.

I can only see the date, month and hour now. Also only half of the username.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
Ben [KVR] wrote:Right, I've set the text boxes to 16px. Does this stop the zooming?

I don't think you're talking about the same thing.

I'm talking about the textarea where you type text when posting.

Ben [KVR] wrote:
Mushy Mushy wrote:

I don't think you're talking about the same thing.

I'm talking about the textarea where you type text when posting.
Oh, ok. Yes this is perfect now.

Return to “Site Stuff”