Tokyo Dawn Labs - Feedback Compressor II - beta 8

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I checked Feedback Compressor for CPU usage not long ago and saw that it was no lightweight, but it wasn't unreasonable for this style of compression either. There more too it than the simpler peak compression of other plugins. But now I see a possible reduction of up to 30%? All I can say is 'wow' and congrats.

I liked this plugin from day one, but the kind of dedication and hard work from Tokyo Dawn Labs impresses me even more. I also have and sometimes employ the joint-project result Proximity. I'm thinking that perhaps sometime this year it might be a grand idea of considering further, other plugin design. Based on the devotion to quality I've seen so far, TDL's track record is firmly established and the reputation goes with it.

Thanks for the nice words!

Of course, I'm already working on new processors. Further collabs with Vlad(g) are very probable, too. :)
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

FabienTDR wrote: Of course, I'm already working on new processors. Further collabs with Vlad(g) are very probable, too. :)
:-o & :love: & :P & :D [pretty much nothing coherent to say about it other than this :lol: ]
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

FabienTDR wrote:
Beatworld wrote:...imagine if you charged just $10 :-o
I run a record label in 2013, I know for sure something isn't right with this equation ;)

In any way, I'm really happy about the nice buzz. Thanks to everyone spreading the word! :)
Ha! I like a man with a sense of realism ;)

Thanks for porting this over to OS X by the way. Really a very nice compressor.

You are welcome, Fabien, but you deserve the praise. I know you had to work out a couple of quirky dodgy items in that plug along the way. Appreciated.

Hey DuX -- I just noticed your signature line. That's a pretty deep thought, and now I'm wondering why some Dr Phil type never told us anything like that before!

So I just tried out beta 8 in Cubase 7 Mac, 32-bit, and the CPU has increased for me about, oh, I'd say, 1000%. My CPU meter was suddenly maxed out, and Feedback Compressor was the culprit. Not sure if anyone else is getting this.

bduffy wrote:So I just tried out beta 8 in Cubase 7 Mac, 32-bit, and the CPU has increased for me about, oh, I'd say, 1000%. My CPU meter was suddenly maxed out, and Feedback Compressor was the culprit. Not sure if anyone else is getting this.
Did you down load it a few days ago?
Click on the Info (I) button and make sure it doesn't describe the version you are using as beta 8 DEBUG.

That version was posted by mistake first up and indeed resulted in CPU load increase.

Proper version now available for down load.

good luck.

BETA version 8 still doesn't work on Leopard 10.5.8! :cry:

Delfinoverde wrote:BETA version 8 still doesn't work on Leopard 10.5.8! :cry:
Could be time for a new Cat :)

Beatworld wrote:
bduffy wrote:So I just tried out beta 8 in Cubase 7 Mac, 32-bit, and the CPU has increased for me about, oh, I'd say, 1000%. My CPU meter was suddenly maxed out, and Feedback Compressor was the culprit. Not sure if anyone else is getting this.
Did you down load it a few days ago?
Click on the Info (I) button and make sure it doesn't describe the version you are using as beta 8 DEBUG.

That version was posted by mistake first up and indeed resulted in CPU load increase.

Proper version now available for down load.

good luck.
bduffy, was this the cause?
Delfinoverde wrote:BETA version 8 still doesn't work on Leopard 10.5.8! Crying or Very sad
Yes. Sadly, apple's "clever" (vicious?) marketing politics aren't about backward compatibility. I tried several tricks in the last weeks (install old leopard via bootcamp) and it seems that I need to buy an outdated mac with an outdated OS version, just to build software that runs on these operating systems. I asked at the apple store and gravis, both said they aren't allowed to sell them anymore! My mac mini refuses to run leopard via bootcamp (looks like an artificial "lock"). Of course, it was a crack, I had no other choice (however, it seem impossible to install a legit version as well).

I give up. Apple surely isn't interested in your specific case (I am, but I can't help). "think different" they say, maybe Windows this time? ;)

can't wait to play with this... I have one quick Q;

in the manual, should the sentence "Dry Mix and Out Gain form a 2 channel mixer. Dry mix is not a 0-100% Dry/Wet control."

read "Dry Mix and Makeup Gain" rather than "Dry Mix and Out Gain"?
(I should probably have waited and just checked, but it just jumped out at me as not making sense with the following sentence "Out Gain controls the output of the compressor without affecting the balance between compressed and dry mix signals".)

the_duckchild wrote:can't wait to play with this... I have one quick Q;

in the manual, should the sentence "Dry Mix and Out Gain form a 2 channel mixer. Dry mix is not a 0-100% Dry/Wet control."

read "Dry Mix and Makeup Gain" rather than "Dry Mix and Out Gain"?
(I should probably have waited and just checked, but it just jumped out at me as not making sense with the following sentence "Out Gain controls the output of the compressor without affecting the balance between compressed and dry mix signals".)
Oh! My bad, that's a mistake. Of course, it should be:

"Dry Mix and Makeup Gain"

I'll update the manual later today, thanks!

On my computer, the CPU consumption went from 1.6% to 1.5% in "precise" mode, and from 0.9% to 0.8% in "eco" mode. That is the difference between beta 5 to beta 8. This is not at all bad for a buss and mastering compressor. Hell, even for mixing. :D

I think if you have to sacrifice quality to make it further optimised, don't. ;) But if you think you can make it work even better without any sacrifices, of course some lower percentage of CPU usage is always welcome. :hihi:

I wonder how would you rate JUCE in comparison to VSTGUI. It seems like graphics is working as smooth as possible since you compiled it with JUCE. Nice. And, of course, it's easier to port to other OSes. Even for Android, I can see now. Going with JUCE was a smooth move, Fabien! :tu:

Cheers!
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

DuX wrote:I think if you have to sacrifice quality to make it further optimised, don't. ;) But if you think you can make it work even better without any sacrifices, of course some lower percentage of CPU usage is always welcome. :hihi:
Oh no, I won't. The Eco mode is my only sacrifice. :)

DuX wrote:I wonder how would you rate JUCE in comparison to VSTGUI. It seems like graphics is working as smooth as possible since you compiled it with JUCE. Nice. And, of course, it's easier to port to other OSes. Even for Android, I can see now. Going with JUCE was a smooth move, Fabien! :tu:
Oh JUCE is fantastic. It's a substantial investment for small closed source devs, especially if they release free-ware, but it's well worth the move. The possibilities are simply amazing.. ..JUCE is a major time saver for me.

In some ways (and from my limited C++ project experience), JUCE is more or less what JQuery is to Javascript. A small revolution. Of course, one can find a gazillion C++ UI and multi-plattform libs, but this was really the first written in a modern and really useful way (i.e. self-explaining and human readable). Coming from a corporate software background, I hate nothing more than unreadable "clever" hacker style code, stupid abbreviations and bad architectures. IMHO JUCE does everything right.

FabienTDR wrote:Yes. Sadly, apple's "clever" (vicious?) marketing politics aren't about backward compatibility. I tried several tricks in the last weeks (install old leopard via bootcamp) and it seems that I need to buy an outdated mac with an outdated OS version, just to build software that runs on these operating systems. I asked at the apple store and gravis, both said they aren't allowed to sell them anymore! My mac mini refuses to run leopard via bootcamp (looks like an artificial "lock"). Of course, it was a crack, I had no other choice (however, it seem impossible to install a legit version as well).

I give up. Apple surely isn't interested in your specific case (I am, but I can't help). "think different" they say, maybe Windows this time? ;)
How about using an older version of XCode?
They're all available from Apple Developer Tools page...
If that could help?

I know, Apple are real crops, profiteers! :x
They don't give a damn about users of older OS. :(

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”