Tokyo Dawn Labs - Feedback Compressor II - beta 9

Official support for: tokyodawn.net/tokyo-dawn-labs
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Fabien
Ah! I was already waiting for such complains! Ok, the problem is obvious, the plugin had no rights to write into you appdata folder
I don't get it. How can this issue be related to the rights? In my very humble opinion CreateFile will not create file in non-existing path. You (JUCE?) should create the "Tokyo Dawn Labs" folder beforehand.

For instance DDMF plugs (same JUCE lib) create folder "DDMF" in "Appdata\Roaming" before they create config files. I can see it in the Process Monitor log.

tico-tico wrote:Fabien
Ah! I was already waiting for such complains! Ok, the problem is obvious, the plugin had no rights to write into you appdata folder
I don't get it. How can this issue be related to the rights? In my very humble opinion CreateFile will not create file in non-existing path. You (JUCE?) should create the "Tokyo Dawn Labs" folder beforehand.

For instance DDMF plugs (same JUCE lib) create folder "DDMF" in "Appdata\Roaming" before they create config files. I can see it in the Process Monitor log.
You're right! The thing that confused me is that the JUCE method I use to create the file does indeed create the parent dir structure on my system. I just checked it again. But it seems to fail on some other system anyway (on the mac too, but I fixed it upfront). I will upload a hotfix update later today, thanks for notifying me!

Edit: Oh yes, just found the issue. It was just a particularly stupid mistake from my side. :?
Fabien from Tokyo Dawn Records

Check out my audio processors over at the Tokyo Dawn Labs!

FabienTDR wrote:@Mario-C.: Can you confirm the plugin shut-down really became slower in DP with the last update? I have no idea what could be the reasons for this, the "closing" process is practically identical to all previous versions. The config file lookup definitely slows down the start-up, but the long shut down time is interesting. Do you experience the same issue with other JUCE plugins? (The Glue, Valhalla, ect)
It was a bit slowish in version 7 with my current setup, then it improved greatly with beta 8, with beta 9 it's slowish again, I don't have the glue or any valhalla stuff but I have some DDMF stuff that I think is JUCE too and they open and close ok

Mhh.. That's really interesting. Just went through the code changes one by one and still have no idea about the cause. Sadly, no DP demo available (correct me if I'm wrong). I'll contact them, let's if they're willing to help.

btw, mac or win?
Last edited by FabienTDR on Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tico-tico, I just uploaded a sneaky update (still beta 9). Pls check if it resolves the issue.

it works fine now. thanks Fabien.

I'm using Mac Fabien, let me do some more tests and pay more attention to how the plug in behaves and I'll report tonight :)

Thanks for the help Mario

Bug reports dropped to zero since the last mini-update. It seems we're ready for the final v 2.0.0 update. Any final thoughts?

All working well here (Win 7 64 bit, Audiomulch, with 32bit plugin version).

Any more hints on the gentleman's version, or when it will be revealed?

FabienTDR wrote:Bug reports dropped to zero since the last mini-update. It seems we're ready for the final v 2.0.0 update. Any final thoughts?
The plugin is a little too awesome. Can you make it worse so people who bought $200 compressors won't feel so bad?

oneshotdeal wrote:The plugin is a little too awesome. Can you make it worse so people who bought $200 compressors won't feel so bad?
lol you're killing me. It's too late I'm afraid. ;)

oneshotdeal, I hope you don't mind if I quote you in the future :)

About the Gentleman's Edition, I can already announce the following extras:

- New quality mode "insane" (beside eco and precise).

- New "micro timing" options "fast" and "lazy" (The normal FB comp II uses the fast option). This function changes the overall timing behaviour of the compressor. "Lazy" reduces distortion even more and sounds particularly "gentle". ;)

- New "RMS source" switch allows to change the topology of the RMS path to feedback or feedforward. This new FF/FB hybrid mode has extremely interesting advantages both in theory and practice.

- New "Ratio Mode" (not sure about that name yet). The idea is simple. It phase inverts the "delta" information. That is, it transforms the feedback downward compressor to a (super fast!) feedback upward expander. This is a pretty cool and unique option, because a true FB expander would explode quickly (it's not stable).

- Mono version!

Maybe/Maybe not/Under evaluation:

- New "Peak source" mode, analogue to the "RMS source" mentioned above. Problem: Not sure if it works/sounds good.

- New linear phase SC filter options.
Problem: Huge latency and significant additional cpu load.

- New "split" mode for SC filters. That is, the compressor splits the signal into two bands and only compresses one of both.
Problem: Increases the UI/Interaction complexity. Not sure how to add this without introduce a half dozen new controls and a magnitude graph..

- New "frequency dependent ratio" control(s). The idea is to offer user-defined frequency dependent ratio. It works fine, but I'm not sure how to present it to the user.

I'm also interested to hear about your ideas!

oneshotdeal wrote:
FabienTDR wrote:Bug reports dropped to zero since the last mini-update. It seems we're ready for the final v 2.0.0 update. Any final thoughts?
The plugin is a little too awesome. Can you make it worse so people who bought $200 compressors won't feel so bad?
Kinda reflects my thoughts, too. :) For a mastering plugin, or when you just want clean shaving of a few dBs. I happen to call it "glueing", not loudness, though. I'm not obsessed with making unexciting and flat sounding tracks, on the contrary, and all the tools we have these days can only help you make something really extraordinarily great, not just another pancake. A 3dB of dynamics will always sound like just 3dB of dynamics, no matter what tools, hardware or software, you used to make it.

I usually use more "colourful" language... this sounds so polite. :lol:

A compressor is a painting stick. Not a hammer, ffs. Have a little vision, and creativity. At least try to. Not just "Yay! I can make a pancake sound less obviously a pancake with your plugin, so nice!" I mean, that's so daft, especially after all that's been said by people like Bob Katz whom I really admire.

If you're into making pancakes, just use the latest "Phatpro Ultra Limiter", turn it up to neverland and enjoy the result that sounds like it's been recorded with SM57 through a Marshall amp. Hmmm, on a second thought, even that would sound better... LOL
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

If I can add to the wishlist I'd like to be able to set a higher frequency than 400 hz in the sidechain HP filter it would be extremely useful when compressing drum overheads and you want to bring down the cymbals without touching the snare and kick, I've tried a lot compressors and I've only found two than can pull this trick off without crapping out, I know it's a very specific thing but it would be great to be able to do this and it would also be useful for de-essing vocals ...

Any plans for a version with external sidechain capability? Would be nice to get stuff really pumping with this compressors great sounding engine.
Has anybody ever really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Return to “Tokyo Dawn Labs”