Help with Group Matrix Switching via MIDI cc & Key Switching

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

Been trying to achieve key switching where instruments sounds are c2 onwards , and I want change the sound by a key switch from c0 to c1. No luck till now . Any help will be appreciated.

Also, been trying to set x-axis of a matrix to a MIDI cc like 2 or 4 or any other . How do I do this?

BTW, Im not using a MIDI Controller, but rather MIDI sequences and cc lanes.

muslimpunk wrote:Hello,

Been trying to achieve key switching where instruments sounds are c2 onwards , and I want change the sound by a key switch from c0 to c1. No luck till now . Any help will be appreciated.
If I understand what you are trying to do, this is not anything that a matrix can achieve, since it is limited to the actual triggering MIDI values. I think you want the group switching (which, as the name suggests, operates on a group level).
The key switcher node, when attached to a group, lets you define a keyboard range as "switching keys", and set a key/range as either down/up/last/prev to determine if a group should trigger.

Check the manual, section 6.2.
muslimpunk wrote: Also, been trying to set x-axis of a matrix to a MIDI cc like 2 or 4 or any other . How do I do this?
MIDI CC is routed through the "external controllers" (settings->external controllers), which determine how a MIDI CC maps to one or more of the Ext Control modulators.
Set for example Ext Controller 1 to MIDI CC 2 (Breath), then set the matrix to use Ext Control 1 as driver for the axis. Presto.

Pro tip: If you're not using an external controller, or if your DAW allows mapping internally (and reaper does), set the matrix to use an automation parameter instead (param00, param01 etc), then add a sequencer lane for that instead.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

elcallio wrote: If I understand what you are trying to do, this is not anything that a matrix can achieve, since it is limited to the actual triggering MIDI values. I think you want the group switching (which, as the name suggests, operates on a group level).
The key switcher node, when attached to a group, lets you define a keyboard range as "switching keys", and set a key/range as either down/up/last/prev to determine if a group should trigger.

Check the manual, section 6.2.
Thank you for your prompt help. Works perfect !
elcallio wrote: Pro tip: If you're not using an external controller, or if your DAW allows mapping internally (and reaper does), set the matrix to use an automation parameter instead (param00, param01 etc), then add a sequencer lane for that instead.
The external controller based modulation works perfect.

Its the other kinda parameter control / automation that is getting me confused.

Im having trouble understanding how to ensure that parameter 00 for eg is getting info from incoming MIDI cc # 2, where it is coming from a DAW MIDI sequence.

I.e how do i map parameter 00 or parameter 01 to MIDI CC # 2 , or 3 etc ?

MIDI CC to automation parameters are DAW specific, and outside TX's control. But sinec I know you use REAPER; Add the automations parameter lane (Track Env/Automation button->tick the param(s) you want to use). Then, in the automation lane, click the "MIDI learn" button (third from right). Wiggle your controller, presto.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

Reaper automation is familiar ground for me, as is unsing external controllers.

I may have worded my question incorrectly so Im sorry about that.

I want to do group swithcing using midi cc # 3 WITHOUT using an external controller at all.

The midi cc # 3 data will be coming from either a MIDI clip in Reaper or a MIDI Sequencer plugin in Reaper.

I know how to set-up group switch now thanx to your earlier guidance, as well as MIDI routing in my DAW. Infact it is working pretty great for key switching and the named parameters like modulation wheel and pitch bend.

BUT

I just want to define midi cc # 3 in group switching "source" and then set a "range" for this source for that group to be triggered.

Again, using NO external controller.

Can I "tell" the sampler that Param 00 = midi cc # 3 ?

I don't get it. If you set external controller 1 to, say, CC3, then CC3 will switch the group... no matter how that CC3 arrived to TX16Wx - was it via external MIDI controller or Reaper's MIDI editor...

I do agree that it might be better if TX16Wx didn't even have the External Controllers section, but rather direct assignment of CCs 0-127 anywhere, instead of being limited to 16 predefined ext. controllers. Perhaps in v2, Calle? :)

EvilDragon wrote:I don't get it. If you set external controller 1 to, say, CC3, then CC3 will switch the group... no matter how that CC3 arrived to TX16Wx - was it via external MIDI controller or Reaper's MIDI editor...

Thanks ED ! Thats what i was looking for.

Btw, all this is for Riley's sample set :)

Yep, I figured that might be the case. :)

Return to “CWITEC”