Sharing Patches without Samples

Official support for: tx16wx.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am currenlty working on mapping a HUGE drumkit in tx16wx.

The complete sample sample set is available for download here :

http://smithultd.com/drum-pack-volume-1/

There is a pretty big discussion thread on the samples and mappings here :

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=135136

I want to share the progs and the performance with everyone for free, without including the content again.

The purpose is to mainly make the drum samples instantly usable for users who have the sample folder sitting on their hard drives.

What will happen to the addressing / referencing ? Will it ask the user to point at a folder which contains the samples and search all sub-directories to update the referncing /addressing paths ?

You could just test it (copy program files somewhere else and try to open them), but to answer the question: Yes. If your program contains sample references like
Samples\kit1\kokos.wav
Samples\kit1\dingo.wav
Samples\kit2\dingo.wav
And you open it without having places or relative file paths match, the TX will ask you where the first one is, and after this it _should_ find all the rest, even if they are in different folders, as long as the original folder structure is maintained relatively.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

Thank you for the prompt response !

I actually did test it, but since it did not allow to select a path /folder, i did'nt think to manually find the first wav.

This is indeed great news. Hopefully I will be done with this drumkit by the coming weekend, and then I'll share it here as well.

This the first time Im using so many of your sampler's features in one instrument, and it is indeed amazing.

I just shared an incomplete kit for beta testing, but the " locate all samples automatically based on first found sample " did not work, according to the user. It kept asking him for the first sample of each articulation. So it works in the sane folder only maybe ?

Can you check the attached please :
http://stash.reaper.fm/19802/Smith%20TX16WX.zip

BTW these are the replies I got so far :

Well, it looks that all the samples need to be in the same folder as the project... I was asked for each of the articulations to locate the first wave file but after 10 mins, I choose to abort.

Did you put all the samples in one common folder?

And it worked for this guy :

I turn on "On successful search, autosearch for other missing files"

When I "browse for file..." I am being asked to locate each individual subfolder, but if I click "Search..." and point to the top folder everything loads right up.

But I have no idea what option he is talking about. Where is this option ?

1.) The person with "autosearch" must be talking about some other medium, because that is not TX16Wx. It seems in the thread that there are interleaved discussions of various mappings of this sample pack.
2.) When I load you project, I get one dialog asking me for the first sample, then everything loads without any more interaction on my part (though I certainly takes a while, what with this being ludicrously huge and all...).
If you load any of the programs/matrixes that you've created individually, then of course you will be asked each time, since its a different loading occasion. You can prevent this by setting up a "places" path that allows you to resolve the samples automatically. Or just move the programs.

And I have to rant a little again: Seriously, 1.6Gb for a drum kit? Back in my day, we used a maximum of 100K for drums, and then we used filters and envelopes to create variations. And then we walked 10 miles through snow storms to get to school. Now get off my lawn you kids.

Rant over... :)

Btw, nice work Suleiman. I hope people appreciate the mapping effort. Feel free to suggest workflow improvements to make it easier.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

Workflow improvements for mapping you say? Ok here's a few:

- Ability to draw a group in the keyb mapping window with ctrl+drag (y/velocity snapped to 0-127)
- ctrl+shift+drag (no snapping)
- Split selected group(s) vertically with alt+click
- and horizontally with alt+shift+click

:tu:

1.) The person with "autosearch" must be talking about some other medium, because that is not TX16Wx. It seems in the thread that there are interleaved discussions of various mappings of this sample pack.
Yeah i eventually figured this out. He was referring to the first basic Reaper track template (reasmaplomatic) i made and shared. Had me looking all over tx16wx for the option :)
2.) When I load you project, I get one dialog asking me for the first sample, then everything loads without any more interaction on my part (though I certainly takes a while, what with this being ludicrously huge and all...).
That is a relief to hear. Exactly what i was hoping for. Yeah its a big one....
Did you test the sounds, or play the included midi file. Do you hear the kick, snare etc ? Can you see the kick prog with the 5-6 kick groups and the related matrices ?
If you load any of the programs/matrixes that you've created individually, then of course you will be asked each time, since its a different loading occasion. You can prevent this by setting up a "places" path that allows you to resolve the samples automatically. Or just move the programs.
I will include that 'places' related info in the final version's instructions.

So you are saying that if someone loads the Full Kit.txperf, it will just ask for one sample and then find all the others. Great :)
And I have to rant a little again: Seriously, 1.6Gb for a drum kit? Back in my day, we used a maximum of 100K for drums, and then we used filters and envelopes to create variations. And then we walked 10 miles through snow storms to get to school. Now get off my lawn you kids.
Rant over... :)
Well technically its actually 6 seperate kits (6 different tunings), with different zones' hits sampled at 16 velocity layers. Talk about detail !

100K for drums ? Even the measliest drum kits / ware today are more than 100 MB. But i know what you mean. Some of the best sounding drum tracks i made used a single shots (programmed and finalized externally and imported as wavs). Infact I sketched out a song idea a few months with only 5 drum samples, and used MIDI velocity to modulate filter and pitch envelopes. It came out so good that I kept those drums as final. But on the other hand I have tried a LOT of these multi-layered behemoths, barring the ones i cant afford.

We is spoiled now ...:D

Btw, nice work Suleiman. I hope people appreciate the mapping effort. Feel free to suggest workflow improvements to make it easier.
Thank you !

Some things i noticed when doing this whole excercise:

- For this "Perfromance", in the matrix view , the x-axis aparmeter that i selected was modulation, and it was the same for all matrices. Whaetevr I changed it to, it would then become the same for all matrices. In one other project I had two matrices with different x-axis coordinates. Is this a setting somewhere ?

- Sometimes, tx16wx does the whole "saving / loading every sample again" thing where you have to wait a while when a set is this size. You cant do anything while this is happening. I thought that this was maybe a bug , that i remember being discussed and maybe fixed a while back. There seems to be no predictability to this behaviour. It just happens once in a while. Im not saving any content at all when saving the matices, programs and performances . Plus none of the saving content check boxes are ticked in the settings.

Thanx again for your prompt help !

muslimpunk wrote:- Sometimes, tx16wx does the whole "saving / loading every sample again" thing where you have to wait a while when a set is this size
Have you tried checking "save minimal undo states" for tx16wx in Reaper's fx browser right click menu?

Eleventh wrote:
muslimpunk wrote:- Sometimes, tx16wx does the whole "saving / loading every sample again" thing where you have to wait a while when a set is this size
Have you tried checking "save minimal undo states" for tx16wx in Reaper's fx browser right click menu?
I have to try this. Thanx !

Eleventh wrote:
I tried but could not even find this option. :?

Plus there is seemingly no logic as to when it starts refreshing /reloading all the samples. It just happens once in a while when Im working with the sampler. Even the periodicity is not predictable at all.

Right corner, atop the UI, [+]-button, compatibility settings -> save minimal undo states.
And yes, you are seeing this. Its reaper getting undo data, and TX16Wx cannot do anything about it. See the original discussions for a thorough explanation why I cannot detect nor ignore it.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

Right now there has been around a 60 % success rate with users running the tx16wx drumkit performance patch.

In some failed cases, the user is asked to locate sample file after file to load. It may be due to incorrect folder heirarchies but still it is a hinderance to universal sharing.

One major improvement would be if the sampler asked the user to point to / browse to a folder (NOT a individual sample) at the very beginning itself (if tx16wx doesnt find the referenced samples) & then searched that folder including all the subfolders and populated the samples in the matrices, groups and programs accordingly. Irrespective of heriarchy. The only search and replacement criteria would be sample name. There would still be a chance of screw-up but since most professional level sample sets have clear naming conventions (ensuring unique names for each sample in one set) this would be a very quick and efficient solution.

This feature would go a long way towards making tx16wx a more user friendly sampler solution to share sampler sets / instruments with everyone.

No, what you suggest would be way less powerful than the current algorithm (is supposed to be), and is tha lazy-ass cop-out that most instruments use.

However, I tested some permutations of placing your sample pack, and I actually found a bug in the path resolver. I will fix that bug instead. Then it should work as advertised for all users.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:

muslimpunk wrote:I tried but could not even find this option. :?
Right-click on the effect's name in the fx browser

Return to “CWITEC”