Q: Root keys, looping and slice selection

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I dragged 5 audio grooves from the Browser into the Key Mapper to give this:

Image ... Big pic: http://i.imgur.com/TVnT35L.png

A few questions:
(a) each groove is on its own single key, how do I get the root keys assigned too (all at once)?
(b)Or should the be assigned automatically anyway? This is primarily for completeness.
(c) how do I set them, all at once, to play in a loop? At the moment I had to go to the Wave Editor, select each one, Add a Loop, drag it out to Start and End when needed, then go back to the Keyboard Mapper and select "loop/1" for each one. That takes a lot of clicks. :( Surely there must be a quicker way. Would another Trigger Mode (Repeat?) do it?
(d) if the grooves have different tempos, e.g. 104 and 107 bpm, what is the best way to get them to have the same duration (i.e. timestretch one of both)?
(e) In the Wave Editor, how can I select a slice in the waveform view without playing it?
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:I dragged 5 audio grooves from the Browser into the Key Mapper to give this:

Image ... Big pic: http://i.imgur.com/TVnT35L.png

A few questions:
(a) each groove is on its own single key, how do I get the root keys assigned too (all at once)?
(b)Or should the be assigned automatically anyway? This is primarily for completeness.
According to the picture, the samples have no root keys, so they are mapped with fixed pitch. You can change this and adjust the (override) root keys, but I don't think you want that?
DarkStar wrote: (c) how do I set them, all at once, to play in a loop? At the moment I had to go to the Wave Editor, select each one, Add a Loop, drag it out to Start and End when needed, then go back to the Keyboard Mapper and select "loop/1" for each one. That takes a lot of clicks. :( Surely there must be a quicker way. Would another Trigger Mode (Repeat?) do it?
Use the "assign loop" menu entry in the wave editor to auto-assign the selected loop to all mappings.
DarkStar wrote: (d) if the grooves have different tempos, e.g. 104 and 107 bpm, what is the best way to get them to have the same duration (i.e. timestretch one of both)?
Sorry, no time stretching. Best you can do is use the "BPM/R" modulator to adjust playback pitch -> different duration.
DarkStar wrote: (e) In the Wave Editor, how can I select a slice in the waveform view without playing it?

You cannot. This is a feature to ensure you only make slices that are aurally pleasing! ;-)
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

elcallio wrote:According to the picture, the samples have no root keys, so they are mapped with fixed pitch. You can change this and adjust the (override) root keys, but I don't think you want that?
You are correct, I do not want to change it, but I was half-expecting to see the root key along with each split. I guess that the advantage is that I can move the splits up/down and the root key goes with them automatically.
elcallio wrote:Use the "assign loop" menu entry in the wave editor to auto-assign the selected loop to all mappings.
Will do, but I must be doing it wrong. I added a full-length loop to the first sample then tried to Assign that loop to the other 6 samples:
-- on the looped sample, Copy and Replace Loops were unavailable
-- on the unlooped samples , Assign Loop (and others) was unavailable

Please see these screenshots:
Image ... Big pic: http://i.imgur.com/hgSK1Jw.png

And then there is the need to select the loop/1 on each split individually in the Keyboard Mapper.
elcallio wrote:Sorry, no time stretching. Best you can do is use the "BPM/R" modulator to adjust playback pitch -> different duration.
I'll try that out.
elcallio wrote:
DarkStar wrote: (e) In the Wave Editor, how can I select a slice in the waveform view without playing it? 
You cannot. This is a feature to ensure you only make slices that are aurally pleasing! ;-)
Yep that is what I'm aiming for, but while getting there repeatedly hearing the clicks etc while I adjust the slice positions etc is niggling.
Inspired by ...

DarkStar wrote:
elcallio wrote:Sorry, no time stretching. Best you can do is use the "BPM/R" modulator to adjust playback pitch -> different duration.
I'll try that out.
Me again - no matter what I tried, the BPM/R choice as a Modulation Source but it was always greyed out.

Also, I used "Detect tempo" but it was coming out as double the actual tempo - is there any easy way to halve it (or double it in other cases)? Other than typing it in?
Last edited by DarkStar on Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inspired by ...

Anyone know what I need to do to be able to use BPM/R ?

Or halve / double the detected tempo?
Inspired by ...

- Halve/double - good old fashioned typing.
- BPM/R - I've introduced a bug so it is non-functional. Will fix.
TX16Wx Software Sampler:
http://www.tx16wx.com/

Return to “CWITEC”