Automation in REAPER

Official support for: tx16wx.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a performance with seven different orchestral instrument layers (strings, winds, brass, etc) in separate program slots. I have assigned seven of TX's "Param" values to each program slot's volume, and via REAPER's parameter learn I have mapped these to seven sliders on my midi controller. So far so good, works perfectly.

Here's the thing though: when I record a midi part the slider movements work and get recorded... but when I play the part back, nothing happens. IOW, the program slot volume(s) respond to the sliders on my controller but NOT to the recorded data. According to the manual, "When automated, any changes you make to the parameter will be sent to the DAW host, and any parameter change from the host will modify the parameter" which sounds like I am right in expecting this to work, but it doesn't.

So what am I missing here?

After recording the Automation Envelope in Reaper, you'll need to switch the track's automation mode to 'Read':

DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

But I haven't recorded any automation envelopes in REAPER... I have recorded the midi data that the sliders on my controllers are outputting. Which seem to work for changing the parameters live and on-the-fly. These values can be seen in REAPER's CC lanes in the piano roll editor.

So, why does TX16Wx respond to these CC's in realtime but not as recorded data?

Ah, I misunderstood. When you said "I have assigned seven of TX's 'Param' values to each program slot's volume, and via REAPER's parameter learn I have mapped these to seven sliders on my midi controller" I took that to mean TX16Wx's parameter mapping and Reaper's automation.

That will give you real-time control of the program slot volumes from your MIDI controller, as you have seen. The MIDI CC data recorded into the MIDI clips do not play any part in this. That is why, on playback, the volumes do not change. (By design in Reaper, MIDI data received from a controller can be 'written' into an Automation envelope lane AND, at the same time, be recorded into a MIDI clip. On the Reaper forum I suggested that that was changed, but no luck.)

That is the basis of what I have shown above - and, so that I could repeat the process, I wrote the automation (received from my MIDI controller) into an Automation Envelope.

----------------------------------------------
Anyway, if all you want to do is use the MIDI CC messages to control the volume in TX16Wx
(a) the program slot volume cannot be controlled by MIDI CC messages, so that's out (but it can be automated by assigning it to a plug-in parameter as I did above.
(b) you can use the Modulation Table (User Guide 6.4.10) to map a MIDI CC message to the Volume control for one of more Groups:
Inspired by ...

OK, I think I see. Thanks for clearing that up DarkStar!

So, um, is there any way you can create automation envelopes from the recorded midi CC's after the fact?

Yep :), I've put a tutorial over on the Reaper forum:
https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=193423
Inspired by ...

Yaaaay, big thanks DarkStar! You've just saved me the trouble of having to re-record a demo video of this TX patch. I was just about to render the midi when I noticed the fader moves weren't working.

https://youtu.be/W2SCokJNRoY

Return to “CWITEC”