Please bring back the Clavia Nord modular

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am missing this great synth so much. It is a pity that it is abadoned.
:cry:

flakes2 wrote:I am missing this great synth so much. It is a pity that it is abadoned.
:cry:
I was going to say 'hey, you can still get them on ebay', and then saw the price of this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clavia-Nord-M ... 35ca905d06

and thought, 'f**k; they got expensive'. Seriously is that what they're going for these days?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Nah that's an abnormality.

I have then on my watchlist and a G2 keyboard goes for 2/3rds that.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

AFAIK, the Nord Modular G2 and the Nord Lead 3 were discontinued because they contained polluting chemicals that became banned from the European Union.
That's what the next model was the Nord Lead 2X (and now NL4)
As much as I dreamed of ever owning one (because, among other things, of Carbon Based Lifeforms's Hydroponic Garden album), I really wonder about the obsolecence of the software editor.
What will happen the day it doesn't work on newer OSes?
Free banks for soft synths | ghostwave.fr | soundcloud.com/ghostwaveaudio

@ Karten - could probably use a virtual machine to host the OS + software for the editor.
Mushy Mushy wrote:I have then on my watchlist and a G2 keyboard goes for 2/3rds that.
I can't see any recently completed G2 keyboard listings for under $US 1500.00.

Would love to be proved wrong. It is one of my dream-studio synths but can't really justify it at such high prices.

Peace,
Andy.
... space is the place ...

Ok cool, compared to the earlier auction yes that's a bit cheaper.

Conversion rate is pretty poor at the moment, so £1,100.00 is around $AUD 1800.00. It will remain in my "dream studio" for a while longer I think!

Peace,
Andy.

Mushy Mushy wrote:Andy: http://bit.ly/165vbMY
aye but its not got the expansion board, the rarity of which is is, i think, the sellers justification for the cost of the one i linked to.
although, ironically, i got mine cheap from the uk distributor after they were discontinued...
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

i wish they'd sell that darn pitch stick all by itself.
you come and go, you come and go. amitabha neither a follower nor a leader be tagore "where roads are made i lose my way" where there is certainty, consideration is absent.

ZenPunkHippy wrote:@ Karten - could probably use a virtual machine to host the OS + software for the editor.
Mushy Mushy wrote:I have then on my watchlist and a G2 keyboard goes for 2/3rds that.
I can't see any recently completed G2 keyboard listings for under $US 1500.00.

Would love to be proved wrong. It is one of my dream-studio synths but can't really justify it at such high prices.

Peace,
Andy.
Yeah, the G2s seemed to stay pretty stable and high. The G1s are also very stable but much lower priced. I almost bought a G2 new when they came out. It fixed many of the G1 issues. Instead I just stopped doing music for a few years.

whyterabbyt wrote:
aye but its not got the expansion board, the rarity of which is is, i think, the sellers justification for the cost of the one i linked to.
although, ironically, i got mine cheap from the uk distributor after they were discontinued...
Ah interesting.
I didn't realise an expansion board even existed.
I've only just started lusting over one of these.

Mushy Mushy wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
Ah interesting.
I didn't realise an expansion board even existed.
I've only just started lusting over one of these.
Out of curiosity, why? Don't get me wrong, when I got my original G1 I thought that it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Back then there was nothing that could compete, except maybe creamware and that was a lot more expensive, a lot less portable, and well, I didn't know about it. The nord was great live, but, today, it sits idle. I haven't powered it up in months and even then, it was just for some fun jam session.

The G2 is not that much of an improvement, ok, it has a few neat tricks, but sonically, it can't compete with reaktor.

I think that they basically have only three advantages today.

1) Red, nuff said.

2) Portable modular with presets and no computer.

3) The programming user interface feels very much like a real modular. To date, that hasn't been captured well by any other plugin. Sonigen is trying.

Sadly the editor for the Nord1 crashes on my computer. It became unusable. :cry:

Already posted this suggestion - try installing an Virtual Machine running Windows, and use that to run the editor.

If the synth means that much to you, any solution is worth considering ...

Peace,
Andy.

Return to “Modular Synthesis”