Abletons Operator and Analog Limitations

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

Im new into this world of synthesis but Im reading a good book (Refining Sound Briakn K Shepard) and manipulating to get my own sounds.

I'm using ableton live 8.4 as a DAW and I tried to work with its built in Syntethisers Operator and Analog to do Substractive Synthesis and emulate sounds.

I discared analog for the simple reason that you cannot fix the frequency of the Oscilator.

So Im using Operator and so far so good (more or less), the problem in thisone now (Im triying to imitate an Open Hat sound) is that the Envelope Generator dosent let you choose the Slope between ADSR phases (logarithmic, exp or linear)

Open hats as I saw they have a logaritmic step between Decay and Release It comes built in an Exponential one without being able to change it.

This is a big problem if I want to go forward with this Synth as I see, do you know if Im wrong with anything of the above?

If not, do you have any suggestion on a good, simple, computer friendly VST? (with good sound, I dont mind paying loads for it).

I will appreciate your suggestions.

Thank you,
Ableton Live 9 ¦¦ Akai Midi Mix (+ Isotonik Studios Script),Akai MPK Mini ¦¦ Korg Volca Bass,Arturia MicroBrute ¦¦ Avid Mbox 2
These are just the cooking items, but the ingredients are the ideas.
Once you master your gear, focus on your ideas.

A couple of "do anything" synths are Zebra 2 and Synthmaster. I own both and like them a lot. I couldn't really say one is better than the other but I end up getting more sounds out of Synthmaster that I like. I think it has a slightly warmer sound (or something) right out of the box. Zebra is great though, and actually has a slightly wider array of sounds it can make.

Both of these synths allow you to adjust the curve of the envelopes very precisely. You can get them as snappy as you want.

And also, if you are just starting out, I'm kind of of the mentality of getting one powerful synth and just only using it for a long while. It's a slippery slope chasing new synths because you can't get "that sound". Most people around here (myself included) have way too many synths lol. Well, I guess that depends on if your goal is to actually make music, or just play with new synths. If your focus is making tunes, you will get more done with less tools, particularly in the beginning. Once you get to understanding more about how synths work, it's easier to hop around without losing mpmentum.

Using Amazon's preview, I browsed the first chapters of the book you mentioned and seems the book uses Green Oak's Crystal as its example synth for the practical lessons. So that's the obvious choice.

A FM synth, interesting.

Here's a list of well-regarded FM synth VSTs (Operator is one of them):
http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/10- ... ths-618990

Analog is not a FM synth, that's why it does not fit well the examples in your book. It is a good synth otherwise.

pottering wrote:Using Amazon's preview, I browsed the first chapters of the book you mentioned and seems the book uses Green Oak's Crystal as its example synth for the practical lessons. So that's the obvious choice.

A FM synth, interesting.

Here's a list of well-regarded FM synth VSTs (Operator is one of them):
http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/10- ... ths-618990

Analog is not a FM synth, that's why it does not fit well the examples in your book. It is a good synth otherwise.
edit: I was mistaken, Crystal is both Substractive and FM.
http://www.greenoak.com/crystal/about.html

Hi guys,

Thank you both , I think I will try Zebra 2 it looks nice, thank you very much stillshaded

Thanks Pottering but I dont like that Crystal Sinthetizer is not Midi Mapping properly with my controllers and also the interface seems quite not proffesional.

Thanks a lot guys
Ableton Live 9 ¦¦ Akai Midi Mix (+ Isotonik Studios Script),Akai MPK Mini ¦¦ Korg Volca Bass,Arturia MicroBrute ¦¦ Avid Mbox 2
These are just the cooking items, but the ingredients are the ideas.
Once you master your gear, focus on your ideas.

Actually Operator allows to adjust envelope curves... sometimes. Sometimes it does not, I don't know why or how. Worth investigating.

That being said, Sylenth1 for instance has fixed envelope curves and it doesn't stop people from using it.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

People have been successfully synthesizing hihat sounds on primitive analog subtractive synthesizers for decades. I don't think the lack of an exponential release curve is a very good reason to abandon one synth and buy another. That being said, Zebra is a very flexible, powerful instrument, and it will take you very far if you stick with it.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

You can adjust the envelope curves for the filter envelope, but sadly, never for oscillators (that I know of).

I wish Operator would get an update, because it's already still a great piece of gear even at its age - the combination of filters and drive modes give it a ton more versatility than first appears for a four osc FM.

The fixed (and adjustable per oscillator) phase makes it a killer drum synth. A little EQ and a limiter is all that's needed, especially with the two noise sources available. But the lack of envelope curves on the oscillators is one of the few features lacking to make it close to perfection, especially for drums. An additional assignable envelope, LFO phase adjustment and delay, and (number one on my wish list): a mixer (or at least bypass) for oscillators into the filter.

With it's low CPU you can stick eight on a drum rack and call it a day...

wot deastman an JoeCat sed

dave

Return to “Modular Synthesis”