SoloRack v1.0 is here

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SoloRack

lalo wrote:
S0lo wrote:I would like to tell you guys that Beta 2 has been released including two new utility modules. Details here: http://www.solostuff.net/2017/06/07/sol ... -released/

Here is the list of updates:

- New module, S705 Gate Length Processor
- New module, S704 Dual Gate to Trigger Converter
- Added "Tame + 1st" mode to the switch in S602 VC Delay. This will force the first reflection to always occur no matter what feedback you use.
- The sample and hold section in S516 can now be triggered by the internal random gate generator when there is no clock connected (Thanks to martin_l).
- Improved GUI performance.
- Added sluggish GUI workarrounds. "LEDs always ON" option and "CPU lite cables" option.
- Changed default location of data folder to "My Documets\SoloRack"
- Added Custom data folder feature using paths.ini file
- Fixed high CPU and high resonations while oversampling in S212 VCF.
- Fxied high CPU in S205 LPG
- Fixed bug in S500 ADSR working in exponential instead of liniear curve
- Less frequent demo mode noises.
- Added installer

That's great!
I noticed that automating ADSR parameters is pretty glitchy.
a.
Thanks.
Do you mean it's glitchy now, or before the new update? would help if you explain a bit.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

S0lo wrote:I think thats a good idea!!. I always wanted one of those recorders, Modcan has one too. I'll keep this in the requests list . The only problem would be how to manage memory as recording at audio rate for minutes would require some considerable ram. Lower resolution/bandwidth can save some memory though.
Great! I wouldn't know about the aspects of implementation on that level, but it would be neat if you somehow made it work. I'm looking forward to anything new, but I still have lots and lots of fun learning about the current modules as well. The great thing is that you dont really need a manual, because the manual is muff wiggler and general modular knowledge :)

Also I wouldn't mind paying a few dollars per module either. I guess it depends what it's worth to you to make more modules if you only gain a small percentage of income by having low cost additional modules. But I really think that it adds up to the total experience of Solo Rack and that it easily can be the go to standard for virtual modular experiences in the future, if it keeps on growing in a steady rate :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTo5tBAqeg0

Made a quick video of a SoloRack Session

S0lo wrote:
lalo wrote:

That's great!
a.
Thanks.
Do you mean it's glitchy now, or before the new update? would help if you explain a bit.
Honestly i didn't go so "deep" :oops: with beta1.
I noticed that automating ADSR parameters makes several glitches (my system is stronlgy real-time proof tho...i use it at very low latencies with no glitches in every gig i do)

a.

cerodios wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTo5tBAqeg0

Thats some rad patch you got going on here :)
www.solostuff.net

lalo wrote:
S0lo wrote:
lalo wrote:

That's great!
a.
Thanks.
I noticed that automating ADSR parameters makes several glitches (my system is stronlgy real-time proof tho...i use it at very low latencies with no glitches in every gig i do)

a.
I can't seem to be able to replicate your case here. If at any time you feel free, it would help posting a preset here so I could test it. Better if you do it on beta 2.
www.solostuff.net

S0lo wrote:
cerodios wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTo5tBAqeg0

Thats some rad patch you got going on here :)
No shit! 8) :tu:
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

Hi SOlo,

Really enjoying SoloRack as it takes me back to my early hardware and wiring days back in the 80's. Very nice sound even without oversampling and love its low CPU hit. Looks like it'll become my Vaz Modular replacement for a very nice sounding, low CPU ITB modular.

Been having lots of fun with the rachet and regular sequencers, but am struggling with resetting the sequencers. How does one wire things up so that both of the sequencers get a reset command when the host transport stops so that they all start on the one when the host transport restarts on the 1? I see that the reset LED on the SA03 goes positive when I hit stop so I assumed that connecting the reset in jacks on the sequencers to the reset jack on the SA03 would reset the sequencers to the last step on stop so that they would be ready to start on the 1 on restarting the host transport, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm using Plogue Bidule as my VST host and right now when I stop Bidule's transport it just pauses SoloRack's sequencer and doesn't reset it to the 1 so I'm guessing that I'm missing something in between that needs to be wired up to send a reset when the host's transport stops.

Also unclear about how the midi parameter assignment works. There's that lovely long list of selectable numbered parameters exposed to the host, but how does one assign one of those listed midi parameters to an element in SoloRack? For example how does one assign a number like P17 in the list to connect to an element like the cut-off frequency in one of the filters?

Clues on the above and more documentation would be appreciated, but understand that module development takes priority right now so thanks for the new ones that came with Beta 2. Please keep them coming and like others in the thread would also love to see some wacky west coast stuff like complex oscillators in the future.

Also like others, would love to see a larger GUI option as it is pretty tiny right now on my tablet running at 1920 x 1080. Be great if there was a version optimized to use more screen space at that resolution which would make it much more touch friendly when patching cables on screen without a mouse.

Thanks SOlo for creating a very fun and inspiring modular, I'm sure I'll be spending lots on time tangled up in its patch cables.

Jamie

S0lo wrote:
lalo wrote:
S0lo wrote:
lalo wrote:

That's great!
a.
Thanks.

a.
I can't seem to be able to replicate your case here. If at any time you feel free, it would help posting a preset here so I could test it. Better if you do it on beta 2.

Can't replicate it nomore me neither :roll:
BTW i've just bought SoloRack!
Really great stuff.
I wonder if you can set two different Oversampling values. One for realtime use and one for rendering.
Typically i'd like to have higher Oversampling values when rendering and keep lower values when workin' in real time.

URM wrote:Hi SOlo,

Really enjoying SoloRack as it takes me back to my early hardware and wiring days back in the 80's. Very nice sound even without oversampling and love its low CPU hit. Looks like it'll become my Vaz Modular replacement for a very nice sounding, low CPU ITB modular.
Thank you :party:. I'm so glad you like SoloRack
URM wrote:Been having lots of fun with the rachet and regular sequencers, but am struggling with resetting the sequencers. How does one wire things up so that both of the sequencers get a reset command when the host transport stops so that they all start on the one when the host transport restarts on the 1? I see that the reset LED on the SA03 goes positive when I hit stop so I assumed that connecting the reset in jacks on the sequencers to the reset jack on the SA03 would reset the sequencers to the last step on stop so that they would be ready to start on the 1 on restarting the host transport, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I'm using Plogue Bidule as my VST host and right now when I stop Bidule's transport it just pauses SoloRack's sequencer and doesn't reset it to the 1 so I'm guessing that I'm missing something in between that needs to be wired up to send a reset when the host's transport stops.
The STOP happens when the SA03 detects that your DAW has stooped AND has rewinded to position zero. Then the reset out will signal a 1V which will stop the sequencers. If its playing it will go to 0V. BUT if your DAW PAUSED in the middle somewhere, the reset will output 0.2V which indicates a pause to the sequencers, thats why they don't reset to the last step, but just pause.

Now, if Plogue Bidule doesn't go to the position zero when you press STOP, or if it only visually does that without going to zero internally, then the SA03 will not be able detect it. Bitwig has a similar problem with SoloRack. Please tell me if thats your case, then I have to test Plogue Bidule.

URM wrote:Also unclear about how the midi parameter assignment works. There's that lovely long list of selectable numbered parameters exposed to the host, but how does one assign one of those listed midi parameters to an element in SoloRack? For example how does one assign a number like P17 in the list to connect to an element like the cut-off frequency in one of the filters?
These are AUTO ASSIGNED Automation parameters. They are meant to be used with your DAWs automation features. Mainly, with most DAWs, you tweak a knob, and the automation gets recorded. Ofcourse, you can also MIDI learn in your DAW to connect to a MIDI controller.

Every time you add a module, SoloRack assigns a few free P parameters to the knobs in that module. When you tweak a knob, your DAW should have a way of highlighting or indicating which parameter (P) has been tweaked. Or at least record the automation.
URM wrote:Clues on the above and more documentation would be appreciated, but understand that module development takes priority right now so thanks for the new ones that came with Beta 2. Please keep them coming and like others in the thread would also love to see some wacky west coast stuff like complex oscillators in the future.

Also like others, would love to see a larger GUI option as it is pretty tiny right now on my tablet running at 1920 x 1080. Be great if there was a version optimized to use more screen space at that resolution which would make it much more touch friendly when patching cables on screen without a mouse.

Thanks SOlo for creating a very fun and inspiring modular, I'm sure I'll be spending lots on time tangled up in its patch cables.

Jamie
Thank you, There are some brief documentation on some modules in the website, if thats any help. Thanks for your suggestions too. Let me know if you have further questions.
www.solostuff.net

lalo wrote:
S0lo wrote:
lalo wrote:
S0lo wrote:
lalo wrote:

That's great!
a.
Thanks.

a.

Can't replicate it nomore me neither :roll:
BTW i've just bought SoloRack!
Really great stuff.
I wonder if you can set two different Oversampling values. One for realtime use and one for rendering.
Typically i'd like to have higher Oversampling values when rendering and keep lower values when workin' in real time.

I'll keep that in the requests list. The only problem is that detecting rendering mode from live mode might not work in some DAWs.
www.solostuff.net

S0lo wrote:

I'll keep that in the requests list. The only problem is that detecting rendering mode from live mode might not work in some DAWs.
Great!
At least in Reaper it works. If the DAW does not recognize that part of VST SDK i guess is simply ignored and the realtime settings are retained.
BTW i have u-he stuff and D16-Group stuff that implement that kind of mechanism. They work in all my hosts...Reaper, Live, Max, Bidule, etc.

Thanks SOlo for the quick response and support.

That makes sense about the reset as Bidule's' sync transport stops and pauses when you hit stop and then there's a rewind button that takes you back to the one. I've parameter linked both the play/stop and rewind together in Bidule and mapped it to the same CC# which fakes a full stop and return to zero with one stroke which normally works with other VST step sequencers. Bidule is a modular host sort of like Max or PD and there's various sync source options in Bidule so I'll try experimenting with the other sync options to see if I can construct something that does a full stop and rewind to get reset working in SoloRack.

Thanks for the explanation on the midi implementation and cool that the parameter numbers are mapped as you add modules. I'll use Bidule's midi learn though as you suggested as that'll make it easier than trying to remember the order that the modules were added. Bidule isn't a normal timeline oriented DAW with normal automation features with tracks and lanes, but rather an environment for connecting and manipulating things. All VST parameters are exposed to Bidule though and linkable to just about anything else in Bidule so I should be able get things sussed and connected with midi learn.

Here's Bidule's download page: http://www.plogue.com/downloads/

The standalone version runs in demo mode without any limitations, but will expire in a few months when they get ready to release a new version.

Thanks again SOlo for a fine modular. Back to experimenting and looking for happy accidents.

Edit: got reset working by building an alternative sync source in Bidule that returns to the 1 on stop.

lalo wrote:
S0lo wrote:

Great!
At least in Reaper it works. If the DAW does not recognize that part of VST SDK i guess is simply ignored and the realtime settings are retained.
BTW i have u-he stuff and D16-Group stuff that implement that kind of mechanism. They work in all my hosts...Reaper, Live, Max, Bidule, etc.
Thats good to know. I have u-he stuff too but never realized they do different render and live modes.
www.solostuff.net

URM wrote:Thanks SOlo for the quick response and support.

That makes sense about the reset as Bidule's' sync transport stops and pauses when you hit stop and then there's a rewind button that takes you back to the one. I've parameter linked both the play/stop and rewind together in Bidule and mapped it to the same CC# which fakes a full stop and return to zero with one stroke which normally works with other VST step sequencers. Bidule is a modular host sort of like Max or PD and there's various sync source options in Bidule so I'll try experimenting with the other sync options to see if I can construct something that does a full stop and rewind to get reset working in SoloRack.

Thanks for the explanation on the midi implementation and cool that the parameter numbers are mapped as you add modules. I'll use Bidule's midi learn though as you suggested as that'll make it easier than trying to remember the order that the modules were added. Bidule isn't a normal timeline oriented DAW with normal automation features with tracks and lanes, but rather an environment for connecting and manipulating things. All VST parameters are exposed to Bidule though and linkable to just about anything else in Bidule so I should be able get things sussed and connected with midi learn.

Here's Bidule's download page: http://www.plogue.com/downloads/

The standalone version runs in demo mode without any limitations, but will expire in a few months when they get ready to release a new version.

Thanks again SOlo for a fine modular. Back to experimenting and looking for happy accidents.

Edit: got reset working by building an alternative sync source in Bidule that returns to the 1 on stop.
I'm glad the reset worked for you. I remember trying Bidule before briefly. I downloaded it yesterday, I'll probably try it today. Reminds me of IL patcher by the looks of it.

Hope you'll find many happy accidents in SoloRack.
www.solostuff.net

Return to “Modular Synthesis”