Create VST Distortion in SynthEdit?

Modular Synth design and releases (Reaktor, SynthEdit, Tassman, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Can it be done? I'm new to the whole thing and I mostly want to make fx for my guitar parts. I tried just putting a multiplier on a signal but that just pushes the volume to clipping in the whole track. I was looking for a way to limit the overall signal while still distorting the waveform so I could have distorted but quiet sounds. Can SynthEdit do that? Newbie looking for help so thanks in advance.

Patrick

Can it be done?
A simple way, use a waveshaper 2 and use
tanh(x) to "shape" the signal....

ik.

Try a Waveshaper2 module after the multiplier.

Alternatively, search the net for distortion modules:

Dave Haupt made a great soft distortion module for example..

I am yet to find a decent sounding distortion for SE. Using a Waveshaper sounds horrible and Dave Haupt's module, whilst it sounds alright, doubles the CPU usage of a synth whenever I use it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

two level adjusters and one sv filter can do wonders here :love:

what about this ... just an idea...
http://www.prodyon.de/files/simpledist.zip

BONES, try this:

Signal -> Multiplier (input2 = distortion amount) -> Waveshaper2 {equation: 5*tanh(x)} -> MoogFilter -> Container

into Container:
Signal -> SV Filter (bandpass, 3.3KHz, resonance 7)
Signal -> SV Filter (bandpass, 180Hz, resonance 8)
both SV Filter outs get mixed together to the output
and to an AllPass Filter (resonance 10)
AllPass Filter (which is in parallel with the SVF's) to the output

Adjust AllPass Filter's freq from 0.1 to 5 for a cabinet emulation

More complex cabinet emulation can be done with some more SVFilters and Allpasses

ZioKiller wrote:BONES, try this:

Signal -> Multiplier (input2 = distortion amount) -> Waveshaper2 {equation: 5*tanh(x)} -> MoogFilter -> Container

into Container:

More complex cabinet emulation can be done with some more SVFilters and Allpasses
I imagine that would be rather expensive CPU wise for just distortion.

I've been interested in a good distortion module for a while too as I'm working on a synth for DnB bass, and I'm gonna put adjustable distortion before the ADSR's.

Chase wrote:I imagine that would be rather expensive CPU wise for just distortion.
This design does distortion plus cabinet simulation.

ZioKiller wrote:
Chase wrote:I imagine that would be rather expensive CPU wise for just distortion.
This design does distortion plus cabinet simulation.
Right-O. nevermind then.

ZioKiller wrote:BONES, try this:

into Container:
Cabinet simulation or not, that would more than double the CPU usage of any synth I've made. I think its much easier to add a distrotion VST in an insert slot in my host. But thanks for the info, it looks neat.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

sonicfire wrote:what about this ... just an idea...
Now that sounds f**king awesome! And it only adds about 1% to my CPU. Nice GUI too. I assume you don't mind if I use it in my new synth?

One thing that occurs to me is that I should put it outside the main container with the polyphony at 1. That might solve a lot of my CPU issues.

:) a simple -ceil- can do it to in -math-

BONES quoth

One thing that occurs to me is that I should put it outside the main container with the polyphony at 1. That might solve a lot of my CPU issues.

That would be more typical, yeah. Per-voice distortion certainly isnt that common, unless you're looking at it more from a 'waveshaping' point of view. But the distortion should be more harmonically consistent with the notes being played. In contrast 'final-stage' distortion (ie outside the individual voices) probably introduces more inharmonics.

You could, if you wanted, make it switchable, I guess, as long as the distortion stage sleeps properly.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

BONES wrote:
sonicfire wrote:what about this ... just an idea...
Now that sounds f**king awesome! And it only adds about 1% to my CPU. Nice GUI too. I assume you don't mind if I use it in my new synth?

:lol: of course not, just go ahead

Return to “Modular Synthesis”