Spire, Linux and WINE

Official support for: reveal-sound.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dear developers!
I understand that you may not have the resources and/or desire to port your product on Linux. And also I doubt if it's economically feasible for you. But I have a little request: please, make sure that Spire works with WINE. I continuously testing new versions of Spire with my project - VST bridge for Linux. Before the 1.0.19, it was working, but starting from 1.0.19 it became unusable with WINE (the GUI doesn't appear). Recently I've checked the new 1.1 beta and now it works again. The performance is simply amazing, great work! I'm planning my budget now and I want to buy Spire if I will be able to use it on my system, so I'm holding my breath before the new release. Please, don't break compatibility with WINE again, if it's possible. Thanks!

So, Spire 1.1 is out and as far as I can tell - it doesn't work with WINE. I still haven't received any response, it's sad that you simply don't care.

Finally, I figured out how to make Spire work with wine. You need to replace d2d1.dll file in your ${WINEPREFIX}/drive_c/Windows/system32/" directory by the original one (from Windows) and add a library override for it in winecfg.

phantom-one wrote:Finally, I figured out how to make Spire work with wine. You need to replace d2d1.dll file in your ${WINEPREFIX}/drive_c/Windows/system32/" directory by the original one (from Windows) and add a library override for it in winecfg.
Are you using Spire 1.1.3? Because I can't make it working :(
I've tried with both Wine 1.8 and the latest Wine 1.9-staging, with the d2d1.dll version 6. The wineprefix is 32 bit and the selected Windows version is 7.
With the winecfg utility I type d2d1 in the Libraries tab and add it as Native, Builtin. Is it wrong?

I'm using LMMS 1.1.3 for testing the VST

I'm using Spire 1.1.3 and wine staging 1.9.4 (wine 1.8 also works) with 32-bit wineprefix (Windows XP mode). I just copied d2d1.dll from windows 7 to ${WINEPREFIX}/drive_c/windows/system32 directory (overwriting d2d1.dll from wine) and then added "Native, Builtin" for d2d1.dll in winecfg. If you'll have any questions, I will be glad to help you.

Ok thanks for the answer. I'm using the same configuration, but it doesn't work. I can hear the sound, but the GUI won't show. Have you installed any other package? I tried launching LMMS from the Bash, and it's complaining about some DirectX10 things...

Maybe it's not working due to the fact I have taken the .dll from internet... I should have a Win7 VM somewehere, I'll check xD

You can try to launch some Windows VST host (Cocos Reaper demo for example) in a terminal, add Spire and look to wine's error messages. Then if you post them somewhere, I could look and possibly help you.

Just tested on empty wine prefix and got the same result as yours - UI doesn't visible. I will check my home machine and tell you what's the difference.

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Ok thank you very much.

BTW I tried to debug a Spire + Reaper session with a clean PlayOnLinux Wine prefix. It gives me more or less the same errors as with LMMS (I think my log should be very similar to yours). Anyway, this is the link to the log, it this could help :D

http://pastebin.com/pnADUcnj (http://pastebin.com/pnADUcnj)

This is very strange, but on my home machine, Spire starts to show it's GUI just after I have replaced d2d1.dll and overridden it in winecfg on a fresh 32-bit wineprefix. Just in case you want to know the exact d2d1.dll version, here is md5: 3e0a1bf9e17349a8392455845721f92f.
Do you have installed some native 32-bit libraries, like nvidia libgl? Here is a list of 32-bit packages that I have installed on Arch Linux, some of them are important for 32-bit wine applications, but I can't name them exactly: http://pastebin.com/P2ZKdttT

The hash doesn't mach :(
I'm using d2d1 version 6.1.76. I'm sure I've nvidia libgl installed, both 64 and 32 bit.
My current system is Ubuntu 14.04 + a KVM virtual machine with Ubuntu 16.04. And in both of them the GUI doesn't show, neither with LMMS nor Carla.
Maybe I forgot some library. I have to check them out :)

After additional tests, I came to a conclusion that I have some "magic version" of d2d1.dll. I've tried several different d2d1.dll files and only one of them works.

Detailed information of working library:
version: 6.1.7601.17514
size: 827904 bytes
md5 hash: 3e0a1bf9e17349a8392455845721f92f

Haha this is so painful

Return to “Reveal Sound”