Questions about the sample packs business (Writing a business plan)

For discussion and announcements of soundware - patches, presets, soundsets, soundbanks, loop libraries, construction kits, MIDI libraries, etc.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am in stage of outlining a business plan for a class. Unfortunately, online sources are not many at least to get enough details about the nature of those businesses. Many of you have great knowledge and it would be very helpful to get your valuable input.

Is there any sources that carry information about the industry? for example, market share, any statistics about the customers.

There are definitely plenty of companies, and the market seems in low demand/high supply stage, would you agree?

Due to the current low demand, new companies can find it hard to establish itself in saturated market. on the contrary, Cymatics.fm, who is only 2 years old, has established itself in the market and made good numbers. Does that mean the market unstable with the customer demand? or many companies lack marketing skills compare to what cymatics is doing?

What challenges may face a new company in this market?

The questions are endless. Hopefully this post can turn to ongoing discussion. Also if you know a shop owner, and willing to answer a few questions, it would be very helpful..

Thank you,

I'd be interested in this too, just purely seeing if there's any viability to creating presets, sample packs, etc. A colleague of mine is friends with the guy who owns Loopmasters/Plugin Boutique and he seems to be minted, not so sure how lucrative it is for the poor schmuck making the sounds though (looking at the recent thread about Zero-G's Phaedra, it appears the creator got about 10% of RRP).

Personally speaking, I've rarely bought sample packs. Bought a few sets from Loop Loft and a couple from Wave Alchemy but that's pretty much it. Signed up for some freebies and got endless marketing letters from Cymatics about their libaries but didn't really think much of the sounds and found the "hey, we got a great deal coming up, and only you and a few tens of thousands of others will be in on this secret" schtick turned me off their products completely and so unsubscribed.

I like making my own sounds, loops and melodies, don't own Kontakt, Serum or most other name plugs and nobody seems to make anything interesting preset-wise for the synths I do own so ultimately there's not a great deal of interest on my part, excepting decent, well-produced drum libraries or decent drum breaks I can slice.

FWIW I rarely buy sample packs, but when I have it's usually from an individual/company with a strong aesthetic/identity like AfroDJMac, PureMagnetik or Goldbaby. For free samples the Karofyer guy does a lot of really creatively insane stuff. I'm more likely to but something that's really tailored to my DAW/controller (Ableton Live & Push 2). I tend to avoid the huge, generic, well-mannered Kontakt libraries.

Return to “Soundware”