Using Linnstrument with a TEControl midi Breath Controller

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I just bought a used Linnstrument and started playing with it and figuring out how it works.
Since I am used to playing flute and had the chance to try a midi wind controller I was thinking about combining the TEControl Breath Controller with the Linnstrument and use it for the Dynamics of some of the VSTs I play. I imagine I would loose the possibility of different dynamics for multiple notes but I wanted to ask if there would be any other drawbacks or problems with combining these two controllers.

PS: Since I bought it second hand does it make any sense to register it on my name? I have all the original receipts. And is it still possible to get a bitwig 8 track license?

Hi Fear83-- yes please do register it. And please ask the seller to write me to transfer the registration to you so you'll get the remainder of his warranty and his Bitwig license.

Regarding the wind controller, wind usually controls the same thing as finger pressure in LinnStrument-- note loudness. If you wish to use wind instead of finger pressure to control note loudness in MPE sounds such as those in my MainStage or Logic sounds file, you should disable pressure in LinnStrument (set 'Per-Split Settings > Loudness/Z column > On' to Off) and set your wind controller to send MIDI Channel Pressure (Aftertouch). When programming your own sounds, you can use both as you like.

If you come up with interesting uses of LinnStrument with wind control, I think other LinnStrumentalists would like to see a video posted here.

Just chiming in here;

The TECcontrol (I have the BITE model with accelerometers as well) has configuration software as to what the different sensors should send (pressure, CC_XX, pitchbend) and response curves. By default the breath is, well breath. So depending on the VSTi, you may be able to control different parameters with the breath controller than from the linnstrument. For instance, u-hes softsynths supports (poly) pressure, expression, modwheel and breath messages - as well as hard mapping of a midiCC to a given knob.

Depending on your DAW / vst Host, you may also have a means to map midiCC for different attached controllers to different VST-parameters, but I tend to find that route cumbersome.
PhasePhckr (modular MPE VSTi) G+
Fatar88Lux (dyi MIDI brain) bitbucket
Assault Opera - sound cloud | spotify

Return to “Roger Linn Design”