per row retrigger?

Official support for: rogerlinndesign.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,
I was wondering if there is an option in the note per row mode, to retrigger a held note so that each row on the linnstrument acts like a monosynth keyboard. e.g. if a note is struck and held, then another note in that same row is struck and released, that the first note is then retriggered.

Thanks,

justin

That is something that is usually a function of the synthesizer, not the keyboard. LinnStrument doesn't have a Note Per Row mode but does have a Channel Per Row mode. You can use Channel Per Row mode in conjunction with a mono synth for each row that has such a feature.

If you're asking how to make LinnStrument more like a guitar, we've already implemented improvements for the Special > Strum feature that will be in the next update. This will permit hammer-ons and pull-offs, only one note per row, and the fingered note will not sound until strummed in the other split.

Hi Roger,
Thanks for taking time to write back...
Interesting: when I use the linnstrument in channel per row mode, the first (held) note is played, then cutoff if I play a second note. When I use the fakey linnstrument template I made on the ipad, to see if the linnstrument would work with my synth, each row (set to successive midi channels, acts like a mono synth). i.e. I can hold one note and tap the next note and when I release the second note I can hear the first note again like on a monosynth or guitar.

I'll use a MIDI monitor / see if note off messages are making the difference.

When using Channel Per Row mode, each row is fully polyphonic. So if you're only able to play a single note on any row, you must be sending that row to a one-voice synth.

Hi Roger,

Yes, thanks! that was it. My test template simply bends the first note when another note is tapped (i.e. note per row). As you mention the row per channel function is polyphonic so of course the synth reacts differently...

I'm guessing there is no way to have monophonic rows until the guitar mode you mention is implemented (?)

Once again, monophonic play is something that is usually a function of the synthesizer, not the keyboard, so LinnStrument doesn't need such a feature. Note that you already have mentioned having monophonic rows by sending each row to a monophonic synth.

Regarding the enhanced Strum mode, that update was released last week. I sent an email about this to all registered LinnStrument owners, as well as posted a notice on this forum and on my site's home page. If you aren't registered, it's a good way to be informed about useful news such as this.

Thanks!...Sorry, it's taking some time to use the correct terminology here. I guess what I am actually asking about is a bend per row, which I'm guessing isn't a part of the enhanced strum update.

Yes, It seems that my synth implements a mono per channel of the type that doesn't retrigger or hold the first note...which is somewhat strange because this mode is supposed to be used as a guitar synth module.

A fundamental limitation of MIDI is that pitch bend messages sent over a single MIDI channel must affect all notes on the channel. This means that if you plays two notes and bend only one of them, the receiving synth must bend both notes. This is exactly why LinnStrument has a Channel Per Note mode, also called MPE. You asked about "bend per row", which does not exist, so I think you're asking "Is it possible to play one note on each row, and to have them bend independently and simultaneously?" If that is what you're asking, the answer is yes, because if you're playing only one note on each row and you send each row over a separate MIDI channel (using LinnStrument's Channel Per Row setting), then there is only one note on each channel, so each channel's Bend messages will apply to the single note on that channel.

To learn more about the above topic, I suggest you go to my site, then to the LinnStrument Support page, then click "What is MPE?".

just to update: I found that the 'low row' bend acts like what I was asking about. If I hold a chord then bend it using the low row, then use an additional finger on the low row, the chord jumps to that tone, then back again when I release the second finger from the low row. Seems to be a good workaround for my polysynth that has a mono mode implementation that works in a weird way.

Return to “Roger Linn Design”